PDA

View Full Version : BMI Plane lands with engine trouble

UKflyer
10th Jun 2003, 22:29
From BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/default.stm

A BMI plane has made an unscheduled landing at East Midlands Airport. The flight, with 52 people on board, was flying from Leeds Bradford to Paris but was diverted when it suffered engine problems.

Emergency services were called out at 0810 BST on Tuesday.

The plane has landed safely and no one was taken to hospital.

The BMI Embraer aircraft, a twin engine turbo-fan, was carrying 48 passengers and 4 crew to Paris Charles de Gaulle.

One of the engines is said to have shown low oil pressure and the pilot decided to divert the plane as a precaution.

CarltonBrowne the FO
10th Jun 2003, 23:03
...and we can't even complain about sensationalist journalism! Factual, gives the story with no attempt at embellishment, makes it plain that all safety precautions were taken but no one was hurt- making a non-drama out of a non-crisis! :ok:

Seloco
10th Jun 2003, 23:44
Good too to see that the Beeb had corrected its initial report which had the aircraft as an Embraer turbo-prop (my italics).

nitefiter
11th Jun 2003, 02:31
not quite right in the facts though, it was a "suspected" low oil quantity reading which led eventually to a precautionary engine shut down and single engine landing.

Tinstaafl
11th Jun 2003, 04:56
Good on the Beeb for what they HAVE done. Such a refreshing change from the usual media sensationalism & hype. :ok:

Meeb
11th Jun 2003, 05:09
Why all the congratulations? This was a non event. Some say the reporting of it was acceptable... reality check needed here folks, we need the public to fly more, not freighten them with irresponsible reporting of a diversion! :uhoh:

hobie
11th Jun 2003, 05:51
who were the 800 plus guys who viewed this post? ......

good question !!!! ......... :confused:

cheers .......

UKflyer
11th Jun 2003, 17:00
I think that most of the travelling public would put the 'incident' into perspective when reading it or hearing about it. I'm sure this doesn't go down well for BMI, considering they only just recently had a run in with a hail storm as well!! :O

Sleeve Wing
12th Jun 2003, 03:28
UKFlyer.
68 hours obviously makes you an expert then, does it?

Or perhaps its because bmi has a lot of aeroplanes and they fly them a lot.

:zzz:

Anthony Carn
12th Jun 2003, 03:39
Sleeve Wing

Lots of airlines have lots of aeroplanes which they fly a lot ! :rolleyes:

Do some seem to have more "occurences" than others, though ?

UKflyer
12th Jun 2003, 16:37
Sleeve Wing, did i step on your toes? - You seem to have taken offence to my 'opinion'. Are the travelling public 'experts' - i think not.

PS. I now have 70hrs, i just haven't updated my profile.:ok:

squeaker
12th Jun 2003, 16:56
Meeb:
I think the reporting received comment because it was not the ususal " holiday jet death plunge drama!!!" stuff that we have all come to expect from the press.
As to whether or not it is newsworthy, that just comes down to a slow news day. Noone would be any the wiser if Beckham had had a new haircut!