PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to NZ from the UK

Bus429
10th Jun 2003, 13:45
When is the best time to book seats from the UK to NZ for an XMAS holiday? I have been looking on the 'net and see plenty of good offers for trips commencing in June or July but fares posted for travel at the end of the year seem high. I understand that the end of the year is very busy for trips to Oceania. Is there any merit in risking late booking in November or December?
:confused:

Pax Vobiscum
11th Jun 2003, 01:18
Routes to NZ, Oz and S America do indeed get very busy at Xmas - if you leave it too late, you may not get a seat, and they're unlikely to get cheaper unless there's another war or health scare (god forbid).

Further advice depends on how you're planning to travel - by Air NZ (my favourite, but not the cheapest) or cheapest available (could be via Japan or Indonesia) - stopovers etc. Have you looked into Round The World tickets? There's often good deals to be had on these.

However you get there - it is the best place for a holiday in the world (just MHO). :D

phreegreens
11th Jun 2003, 02:35
depends... if you actually want to be there for December 25th then buy now, capacity will only be available later on at premium prices, if you are prepared to travel say December 27th, you may pick up a good deal... :ok:

Globaliser
11th Jun 2003, 04:03
If the economy were in good health, the answer would have been "you should have booked two months ago". Fares to Oz/NZ are at their highest peak in the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas - I think the peak season usually starts around 8 or 9 December.

The first cheaper day for flying is usually 24 December, on the basis that you can get to Sydney but far too late (and far too knackered) to enjoy any of your Christmas Day - so it's the first day on which demand is lower. And if you are a real Christmas-phobe, you could fly to NZ westbound that day. You would leave LAX in the evening of 24 December, cross the dateline and arrive in NZ (or Oz) in the morning on 26 December without ever having had the 25th.

In contrast, the period from about 20 April to 30 June is the absolute cheapest time to fly to Oz and NZ. Those are the deals you are seeing now.

There have been years when sales have been poor, and promotional fares have come in nearer Christmas. But it is a very big gamble, esp as capacity has been cut back so much in the last couple of years for various reasons and there is still a real risk that one of the players to Oz (UA) could go out of business before then.

Flyer 682
11th Jun 2003, 19:12
If you really want to be in NZ for Xmas, book now or prepare to be disappointed. With school holidays down here as well, everything tends to fill up fairly quick. Also, a lot of cruise ships down this way with passenger changeovers at Sydney & Auckland, so that ties up a lot of seats especially on the NZ - USA sector. Air NZ is the way to go, but then, I'm biased.

cb9002
13th Jun 2003, 23:07
I booked a good deal with Air Austria a few weeks ago LHR-SYD - UKP 756.60

(no pound sign on the keyb 'cos I'm in the USA).

christep
14th Jun 2003, 11:24
I believe you can get very good deals on CX at the moment LHR-HKG-AKL.

cattleclass
18th Jun 2003, 05:25
Hey Bus, I managed a last minute Heathrow-LAX-Auckland-Brisbane last December to get home to the family, so don't despair. I think you're well within the time zone to get sorted for a flight 5 months from now, but I would humbly suggest an Asian carrier, flying East from the UK, and a 1 day break in their local Hub, be it HK, KL,Sing. or one of the Japanese/Korean Hubs. You'll fly 12/14 Hours max, and then actually get off the 'plane and spend a definite time ashore, before another run North/South so you wake up and fly in the rough time zone of your destination. You'll get there whenever, but your brain will have caught up with your body a bit, and it will help the first cople of days. Believe me, I have travelled HLR -Brisbane or HLR- Melbourne 4 to 6 times a year for a few years now, hence the title Cattleclass. It all helps, and you often get a free night on the return, especially with JAL or ANA. Hope this helps, travel safe, CC/xx:p :p