PDA

View Full Version : Lyneham......Best Boozers

Boy_From_Brazil
10th Jun 2003, 03:58
Rather than highjack FEBA's thread, I though I would start a new one. I will be in Lyneham next month and need some recommendations for good pubs in the area.

My needs are simple, - a typical English garden (with grass not asphalt), real ale and a good extra-strong Cheddar ploughmans.

StopStart
10th Jun 2003, 04:50
Yes, they are many and varied with a wide variety of foreign ales and cuisines on offer. Simply get on one of the Hercs and fly somewhere else to sample them.
If this is not an option I would then recommend that you stay in your room and drink meths rather than venture out......
:\

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
10th Jun 2003, 04:57
I prefer to sit in my own Mess

Albert on Tour
10th Jun 2003, 05:10
Mmmmm........

Well, Boris and Andy Sk**e have left so it would have to go to....

The Late George Br**n

tarbaby
10th Jun 2003, 11:08
And where have Andy and George gone to? I have lost touch over the years. And as for drinking if I recollect the Greyhound at Bromham had good food and Waddies 6x. An evil combination.

ENG
11th Jun 2003, 01:34
The Ivy, Heckington great beer, nice atmos, toothless sheep etc..

opso
11th Jun 2003, 02:16
The 3 Crowns at Brinkworth is good for your needs at lunchtime - in the evening, it's more of a busy restaurant. I also echo the recommendation for Bromham's Greyhound (used to live 150 yds from it!).

Grimweasel
11th Jun 2003, 04:35
The Mermaid in Christian Malford is a haunt of many a zob. The Vine Tree in Norton (near Hullavington) is an excellent pub that offers good wines and very good food, as good as any London bistro!
Swindon is good on the toot these days too. Longs Bar in old town. Thurs. night in Brunel rooms all shorts are 50p and all bottles £1!! Hammered for sod all!
Best pub/restaurant in Wilts is the Windmill in Marten, south on Marlborough on the A338. Most highly awarded rest. in Wilts according to the Good Grub Guide 2003. Best wine list I have ever seen ranging from £15 to £2000 a bottle. Owner is an ex-wine importer so he knows his stuff.
The Malard in the village is exactly that. A drowning duck of a place, steer clear!!
Have fun and avoid the men in green in the mess. They are savages!!

Boy_From_Brazil
11th Jun 2003, 19:08
Thanks guys. I shall work my way through the list! The toothless sheep sound quite alluring, hopefully they dont run too fast.

Man-on-the-fence
11th Jun 2003, 19:38
The Ghost Train in Pyrton (sp?) just south of Swindon is a good'un. Landlord is ex Squaddie Lynx Pilot but don't hold that against him :D