PDA

View Full Version : U.S. THANKS the FRENCH for Rescues

Gunship
10th Jun 2003, 03:33
:rolleyes:
US thanks France for evacuating Americans from Liberia

The United States put aside its anger at France for refusing to
support the war against Iraq and expressed thanks for evacuating US citizens and other foreigners from the war-wracked Liberian capital.

The State Department also called on the Liberian government and the rebels besieging the capital to ensure the safety of the remaining foreigners in Monrovia.

"We wish to thank France for its role in facilitating the evacuation of non-official Americans and third-country nationals who were on the US embassy and European mission compounds," said Lynn Cassel, a State Department spokeswoman.

"Coordination and cooperation between US and EU officials in this process has been excellent," she said.

The State Department on Friday ordered non-essential diplomats to leave Liberia as fighting intensified and strongly urged all US citizens in the country to depart.

On Monday, French troops evacuated hundreds of foreigners from Monrovia amid battles between rebels and government forces despite last-minute truce efforts by west African mediators.

The soldiers flew the evacuees by helicopter to a French naval vessel off the coast.

The foreigners evacuated include Europeans and Lebanese, Ivorian and Indian nationals, US citizens and those holding dual US and Liberian citizenship, Egyptians and some Africans.

Cassel said Washington expected those foreigners remaining behind to be protected by both the government and the advancing rebels.

"We are committed to the full protection of our citizens and expect the government of Liberia and the rebels to honor their international obligations to do the same," she said.

Most of the rescues was done with French Cougar's...

http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/2003060917274309_liberia.jpg

Buitenzorg
10th Jun 2003, 04:54
The Joke of the Day!

"We ... expect the government of Liberia and the rebels to honor their international obligations"

Thanks, I needed a good laugh! What's the requirement to be a State Dept. spokesthingy - a pulse?

Gunship
10th Jun 2003, 05:05
Oi Buitenzorg ...

I wanted to comment on that ... surely he /she once again does not know what he / she is saying about a typical African situation.

The US ambassador actually was out of the country and was flown back into the nest today :oh:

B Sousa
10th Jun 2003, 05:31
Buitenzorg Writes:"We ... expect the government of Liberia and the rebels to honor their international obligations"

Thanks, I needed a good laugh! What's the requirement to be a State Dept. spokesthingy - a pulse?

Your so right on that one. You have to be a CD Rom with a pulse. Spew out the words Governments are supposed to say and nobody believes. Dare not say anything that might upset the folks or you will be a racist....
Someday I wish some petite little thingy would come out rather shy and Say to the Government of xxxxxxx. Mr Presidente, please look out the bedroom window of your Palatial Mansion and notice that Helicopter which is making noise about 3 kms away. Since you have no clue as to how nice We are, let us show you how pi55ed off we can get.....Notice the smoke trail from the helicopter heading your way........You better duck..

......Oh.....Sorry, I must have been dreaming.....Time to wake up .

Gunship
10th Jun 2003, 16:25
I think the French did a splendid job in Lberia (to the utter dismay of some American soldiers I saw last night).

The Americans was too late. The wanted Black Hawks and the Numbers (the way they work) and then Top Cover (an hope for a scrap in between - they way they love it), but they forgot about the French ship "on the horizon".

The US hot stuff arrived - but too late, unless they want to take sides (and that will not be surprising) :E

We all knew they support LURD since breaking ties with CT a few years ago.

Time will tell - but well done to the French.

Viva da French :ok: