PDA

View Full Version : ATR-42/72 Type rating

GROBIT
9th Jun 2003, 23:42
Just looking for some general information really. I've got a friend who's looking into doing a type rating down in Exeter for the ATR42/72. I can't remember the name of the company, but it seems to be a friendly well run outfit. I was wondering if anyone has been through this course and found employment as a direct result, or can tell me how intensive the course was. I believe the cost is around the £13000 area, and as he hasn't been able to find work since completing his CAP509 other than part time flying instructing, I thought it might be a good idea to pursue this line. Any info would be welcomed. Thanks.

windtalker
7th Jan 2004, 18:06
Dude thats a lotta money for an ATR 13000 Sterling is not worth spending, might as well spend little more to fly a jet , Boeing, Airbus etc., I command ATR 72-500. so
whatever u do best of luck stay away from commuters.
no future,

Global Pilot
7th Jan 2004, 20:51
I agree it is a lot of dosh for a prop rating. There are other costs involved. Your accommodation is not included or your flight tickets for the sim time, which I believe is in Northern France. Also loss of earnings from your real job has to factored in.

I believe the course is well run. Chap finished it last year and was offered a Caribbean contract. 12 Months on he has over 500 on type and just had contract renewed. So might be worth a shot. Might I suggest contacting ATR operators and see what they think about you coming back to them type rated but with zero line time. In particular contact Air Wales; I believe their aircraft are used for the 1 hour check you will so on the course and they do use it as an opportunity to look over peoples shoulders while they are flying their aircraft.

ATRs are becoming increasingly popular with freighter conversions coming online now. So if you are going to pay for a prop rating, then this seems to be the one. Plus the rating covers the 42 and 72. Make a close comparison to a jet rating before, more expensive but better paid.

All in all everything is worth a try, so best of luck in whatever you decide.
:ok: