PDA

View Full Version : New 'bugbear' variant

BOAC
9th Jun 2003, 17:56
Had several mates caught by a new nasty version of this, full info on the various virus sites. Seems to be particularly targeted at financial institutions.

Beware and update!

timmcat
9th Jun 2003, 21:01
I got it this morning on checking the overnight mail. Launched this morning from our head office (!). My updated NAV caught it OK.

Irony is, head office threats us with a £100 fine if any of our machines pass on a virus. Most of those I recieve come from aforesaid ivory towers. Perhaps I should fine them. :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jun 2003, 07:21
Bugbear is a bad one.

Here are its payloads:

Payload 1: Terminates antivirus processes

Payload 2: Compromises network security

Anyone worried should run an online scanner, just in case Payload 1 has hit their comp. Run:

Trend Micro's Housecall Online Virus Scan (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

To check your system.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

Bern Oulli
15th Jun 2003, 02:38
W32.Bugbear.B@MM is currently doing the rounds here in sunny Dorset UK. I got three in two days. Attachment called 2_Finchfield_Avenue.doc.scr carries the nasty little wotsit, although undoubtedly there are others. Nortons caught it OK so no probs with my computer touch wood!

Dick Fisher
16th Jun 2003, 01:57
I got this too. Even our network virus scanner failed to stop it.

The odd thing about the email that (I think) brought the virus, is that it seemed relevant to me. What I mean is that it contained the kind of information I might expect to see in an e-mail from a client or supplier.

So watch out because cleaning it up is a right pain!

PaperTiger
16th Jun 2003, 02:41
The odd thing about the email that (I think) brought the virus, is that it seemed relevant to me.

That's because it's one of the 'smarter' (not the right word but YKWIM) viruses. It takes the title of a genuine email out of the infected user's sent items, as well as your address from his/her .pab file.