PDA

View Full Version : MD command jobs in Japan???

Kaptin M
9th Jun 2003, 10:00
Please don't pm me on this one, I'm going to let you know ALL that I am aware of here and now.

There may be an opportunity for MD (or similar) type rated pilots coming up in Japan, over the next 12 months or thereabouts. The reason being that JAL (Japan Air Lines) and JAS (Japan Air Systems) integrated late last year, and JAS are "divesting" their side of the operation of the MD's by passing them off to one of JAL's subsidiaries - it is anticipated that expatriate pilots might be used in the lhs. The F/O's will be newly recruited Japanese pilots.
The requirement - if it materialises - would be for captains, meaning airline command time of not less than 3,000 hours.

The basing would most probably be Osaka, but not necessarily, as JAS currently have some pilots Fukuoka based (a better city, imo).

More than likely, the recruiting agency would be PARC.

Sorry if it all sounds a bit "airy-fairyish", however IF it does all come together as outlined, I'd like to see Aussies and Kiwis in there early.

No pm's please. If anyone has any more Q's, please post them here for everyone's benefit, and I'll attempt to answer them with the little info that I've been fed.

mo_gravy
9th Jun 2003, 12:08
kaptin

check your PMs...

gravy Ó

Kaptin M
12th Jun 2003, 21:28
BTTT, for those who have been absent.

Message on the way, bacon...errm gravy.

Winstun
12th Jun 2003, 21:40
You have either got something worthwhile to say or you don't.....:zzz:

mo_gravy
13th Jun 2003, 01:17
bacon is gone. forget bacon. shame really as i liked that name. but he went 2 far one day. well more than one day actually. turns out he upset a few people. gravy was smarter but somehow got locked out so now u get....

some mo' gravy.......

hope u like it

whatever happened 2 Lid??? now he had something 2 say.....

gravy™

Kaptin M
23rd Dec 2003, 06:10
Bringing this one to your attention again, as I understand recruiting will be underway soon, through PARC Aviation.....sorry, no idea (yet) of the numbers needed.

The salary will be approx. USD6k after tax - approx AUD7.5 (excluding minimal nightstop allowances), accomodation subsidised, and travel on public transport to/from work provided or re-imbursed. I understand that the base will be Osaka (Itami).
Flying will be domestic Japan - no "back of the clock" stuff :ok:

Aussierotor
23rd Dec 2003, 08:46
Based at Fukuoka

And heres me thinking that FUK.UOKAY didnt have anything to do with Japanese origins.

Kaptin M
23rd Dec 2003, 10:18
Currently there are a few expats based in FUK with Harlequin - a JAS subsidiary - however my understanding is the requirement will be for JAL Express MD (80) pilots, and that as JEX is Itami-based, that is where the newly recruited expat crews could expect to be.
JAS will continue to operate other MD's, but these will be with existing crews, whereas the JEX operation of the MD's will be a separate entity, ie. no JAS pilots will transfer to JAL Ex. (Why do it the easy way, when you can do it the Japanese way and take 5 times longer?)

Accomodation is JAL company shoeboxes.....sorry, apartments.

Foreign Worker
31st Dec 2003, 12:48
The word on the street on this one is caveat emptor (buyer beware). According to my sources in the Land of the Rising Sun, foreigner pilots on B737 contracts through CRAP, with JAL Express - JAL-EX or JEX - have had their contractual conditions blatantly abused by the JAL-EX Japanese management, and PARC unable or unwilling to do anything.
It seems to be the case that once they have you there, they basically do whatever they want, regardless of contract.
Reportedly the existing PARC pilots with JAL-EX(who are based in Osaka) who have completed their first contract have been offered another one, but on greatly reduced conditions eg. fewer days off per month, lower salaries, and no guarantees that the abuse by the Japs will stop.
The non-Jap pilots are referred to as "pilots of the west" - POW's.
Caveat Emptor!

Shaman
31st Dec 2003, 22:24
Kaptin M,

You do get some flak from some people but I would imagine that many of them are greatful for the gen you give out.

Any idea if there is still a requirement for pilots to undertake a full Japanese ATPL course, as well as a type rating course as part of the employment requirements?

You also mention subsidised housing - is it big enough for a spouse and how much might I be expected to contribute each month?

Thanks in advance.

Kaptin M
1st Jan 2004, 07:06
"a full Japanese ATPL course, as well as a type rating course"
That is a JCAB requirement, Shaman, so the answer is "Yes", even though they will take only type rated pilots, those pilots will still have to do a FULL type rating course again, including simulator.
In effect, the mindset here is that any flying done outside Japan doesn't count and you will be treated as an ab initio.

Subsidised housing
The accomodation made immediately available will be the company shoebox-size apartments - big enough for a spouse. I understand that the MD guys are going to have to purchase all of their own furniture and appliances, which will set them back around USD10k for the basics - fridge, washing machine, gas cooker, microwave, bed, table & chairs, heaters, air con. The cost of living in the company shoebox is approx. USD600/month.
If one elects to live away from the stalag, you will receive approx USD600 per month ( a reasonable house will rent at around USD3k), however you would be required to find a Japanese guarantor, and this company is unwilling to do that for you!

Foreign Worker's info is correct, although I hadn't heard the "POW" one before - but it doesn't surprise me!

Kaptin M
14th Mar 2004, 23:22
Okay Impulse pilots, this one is on, and it seems that YOU gents with an MD rating are as scarce as hen`s teeth, and as such I`ve been told that in order to attract you the $$$`s offered are going to be BIG - probably in the order of USD9K per month tax paid + allowances.

They are looking at somewhere in the region of 40 Captains (sorry F/O`s, no requirement) for an Osaka basing - however in view of the shortage I would guess they might be willing to offer a commuting contract.
In view of the scarcity, I think that the 3,000 pic time may well be revised downwards.

At the moment, the agency that will be supplying the pilots hasn`t been decided upon, however the one in ireland is making a supreme effort to clinch the deal.