PDA

View Full Version : Cranwell ..... Best Boozers

FEBA
8th Jun 2003, 02:28
Not ever having been stationed at Cranwell, but now leaving nearby. What are the best pubs in the area??

Chris Kebab
8th Jun 2003, 03:13
A cab to Lincoln..

fobotcso
8th Jun 2003, 03:15
... and another one back.

Mystic Greg
8th Jun 2003, 05:07
The Marquess of Granby in Wellingore
The King's Head in Navenby
The Brownlow Arms in Hough-on-the-Hill

BEagle
8th Jun 2003, 05:49
Whatever happened to the Stable Bar at that pub which shall remain nameless.......

Seem to remember the Houblon near Barkston wasn't bad. Neither was that nice little pub in Rauceby.

Or the Red Lion at Caythorpe, the Bell in Coleby and many others - but nothing in Cranwell village.

phd
8th Jun 2003, 06:00
The Willerby Arms at Leadenham - good beer and wholesome food.

The Brownlow Arms is no longer a pub - more is the pity. The managament changed a couple of years ago and it is now a furniture/antiques emporium.

L J R
8th Jun 2003, 16:05
An hour and a quarter on the train and you can get to All Bar One and Tiger Tiger!
Getting back may be a problem, but don't let logistics interfere with Ops.

FEBA
8th Jun 2003, 17:05
The Red Lion at caythorpe. Not sure; they are not very keen on kids which is a handicap for a swift lunchtime pint when I have 3 year old Fifi in tow.
Best thing about caythorpe though is the church that has Thunderbird 3 perched ontop. I told the kids that it was part of a top secret British star wars project, camouflaging the missile as a chuch steeple a perfect bit of british ingenuity
T3 website (http://www.thunderbirdsonline.com/site/craftprofiles/index.html)

BEagle
8th Jun 2003, 17:36
Some would perhaps consider a reluctance to permit rugrats in the pub to be a plus point rather than a drawback!

Of course, it all depends on the parents.

Dunhovrin
8th Jun 2003, 18:15
Well done FEBA on the most useful thread on this forum in ages. ..

Got to go with the Houblon vote really.

EESDL
8th Jun 2003, 19:19
Ooh!
Ears pricked
Starting 5 -month course at Crandlitz in Jul...keep the suggestions coming.
Past experience has been the joint cab into Lincoln, followed by the stream of single cabs coming back in the small hours, seperated by 15 mins!!!!
Some occupants covered in makeup, some in chilli sauce!

detgnome
8th Jun 2003, 20:24
Has Sleaford improved ? I remember all those nights in Millers desperately trying to cop off with the then DDIOTs daughters. Still, it was the best that Sleaford had to offer (Millers that is, not the daughters...)

BEagle
8th Jun 2003, 20:43
Yes - it now has a by-pass!

$odding awful place second only to Grantham in hideousness....

PlasticCabDriver
8th Jun 2003, 21:57
detgnome, ah DDIOTs daughters! such memories! Lucy and Anna wasnt it? And the pair of 15 yr old twins that ended up in York House on more than one occasion....;)

deltahotel
8th Jun 2003, 22:35
No, Sleaford hasn't improved.

Agree with all the above pubs. Bell at Coleby, Red Lion at Newton, Tally Ho on the A15 south of Sleaford, pub in Allington whose name I forget!

Aynayda Pizaqvick
9th Jun 2003, 00:21
Come on Guys... What about Flicks?!

BEagle
9th Jun 2003, 00:46
Does that flea-pit 'The Sleaford Picturedrome' still exist? Used to be near the railway station.

FEBA
9th Jun 2003, 01:44
Sleaford and Grantham should really be in Belgium (Sussex ah Sussex). As for rug rats; well coming from a military background the kids are marched in an orderly fashion sat down quietly in the corner of a bar. The only murmer from them is when they wish to discuss the lack of WMD or whether we should join the Euro ...... usual kids stuff, which I encourage of course.
FEBA

Boy_From_Brazil
9th Jun 2003, 05:02
phd

Are you sure about the Brownlow Arms being a furniture emporium? A couple of years ago it was one of the best restaurants in the Cranditz area, and run by a couple of super people.

BFB

deltahotel
9th Jun 2003, 17:38
BEagle's Sleaford picture emporium is now that well known nightclub Flicks.

Brownlow Arms going down the tubes - sold a couple of years ago to be a restaurant (miserable) and is indeed now a furniture shop. Paul & Lorraine now run the Willoughby Arms in Leadenham - worth a visit

Dunhovrin
10th Jun 2003, 00:24
What's the pub somewhere in the area between Lincoln and Coningsby that used to be a WW2 Mess - in fact was it 617's favorite watering hole? I can only remember being asked to leave because our nav had had 2 sniffs of the barmaids apron....

STANDTO
10th Jun 2003, 01:38
What about the Bustard Arms at South Rauceby

And a hey nonny no!!!

And the Waggon and Horses that was but a tab away when we were meant to be getting fit again on Med Hold!!

Happy happy days

deltahotel
10th Jun 2003, 17:37
Bustard's still ok. The 617 bar is the Petwood Hotel, Woodhall Spa.

SOMAT
10th Jun 2003, 22:18
Having spent nearly 4, very happy, years in the area, during which time I indulged in some dedicated and in-depth research, I can recommend the following watering (and eating) holes:

Wig & Mitre in Lincoln (Bailgate)
The Bell at Coleby
Black Bull at Welton

I have now left RAF Lincolnshire, but a fellow researcher (a notable trencherman) who still lives in the area attests most effusively to the continuing quality of the inns mentioned; he is most glowing about the Wig & Mitre. I shall be returning to attend a couple of Summer Balls in the area shortly when, hangovers permitting, I intend to conduct some more, selfless, research and report back: no amount of effort is too great in this worthy cause.

Meanwhile, to start with, make mine a pint of Timothy Taylors.

Any spelling errors in the foregoing are, unfortunately, not alcohol induced:D

ENG
11th Jun 2003, 01:31
Go back in time....visit the Kings Head in Scopwick. Great for Wed night quiz.

What is the capital of England? "E"
What is brown and comes backwards out of Cowes? The ferry

And thats the ard uns.

smudgejen
11th Jun 2003, 01:59
The George at Leadenham is a top boozer. Top food, nice beer, think they like kids, and an unbelieveable range of whiskey.

Arty
11th Jun 2003, 03:10
Not to mention the 'function' room at the George, where functions of err ... an interesting nature used to be held after solo parties, etc. Don't suppose they are allowed to be held any more cos they're a bit non-PC.

BEagle
11th Jun 2003, 14:31
Don't mention the stable bar........

Has been hosting certain 'functions' for at least 35 years now!

TheNightOwl
11th Jun 2003, 14:41
The Bustard, in South Rauceby, was my all-time favourite, at a guess I'd say that Ken is no longer mine-host? It used to be a wonderful place for a sing-song on Friday evening, and even better on Sunday morning in search of a hangover cure!
Grand memories,

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :ok:

FEBA
11th Jun 2003, 22:25
Arty BEagle
The George at Leadenham sounds promising. Think I might leave the kids (and the wife) behind for this one
Cheers
FEBA
:E :ok: