PDA

View Full Version : Look out all, a new SPAM problem is here.

BRL
7th Jun 2003, 23:26
Hi all. Today I got an e-mail from the 'mail delivery system' with the subject, 'delivery failure'. It looks genuine enough and there is an attatchment to it. Open this and it pure spam. Mine is something about a digital cable scrambler or something like that....... Watch out they are getting craftier. :mad:

Here is a copy without the attatchment....

This is the WebTV_Postfix+sws program at host smtpin-2214.public.lawson.webtv.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The WebTV_Postfix+sws program - Transcript of session follows

<[email protected]>: host
storefull-2192.private.lawson.webtv.net[172.16.213.66] said: 554-The
incoming mailbox for user pikerpajak is full. 554 This person is not able
to receive more mail at the present time. (in reply to end of DATA command)

Original message follows

Tinstaafl
8th Jun 2003, 09:20
If I hadn't tried to send an email to someone & received a a <failed send> reply then I'd automatically suspect it of spam. It wouldn't even get on to my PC, getting deleted direct on my mail server AND added to my blacklist.

Mac the Knife
8th Jun 2003, 21:37
Have a look at this for the answer

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/31084.html

Now that's some people I wouldn't mind hanging up and letting bleed to death.

BRL
9th Jun 2003, 04:41
Good point Tinny. I do have to send a few e-mails every day being a mod. Sometimes loads, sometimes one or two so I have to look at all that comes back to my inbox. Your right in what you say though, if I got one in any of my other addys then I wouldn't hesitate to just delete it but some people do send and recive a lot hence the warning.This doesn't seem to be a technique to get spam out, though it does offer a simple way for spammers to avoid been detected Surely the product name is a dead giveaway........ Can't someone just go to whoever is selling whatever and do them????? :confused: An example is the one I got. Can't the trading standards people go and get them for sending unsolicited mail and if they cover things up by not using an address, as they do, just a web-page with a form to fill in and a link to pay-pal or something like that- then who do they think are going to be stupid enough to buy the said product when they don't even know who or where they are?