PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous incident on American Eagle?

RiverCity
7th Jun 2003, 11:41
I was flying from Dorval to JFK on Wednesday (June 4) in a small American Eagle (EMB?) plane. At one point, I heard someone moving in the back -- toward the restroom, I assumed. The cabin attendant rushed down the aisle shouting, "Don't touch [or such word] that door, sir. Don't move that door." He went into what I assume was the restroom and she continued to say, "Don't touch that door. Do you understand Spanish? Do you understand English? Don't touch that door."

(The quotes are approximate, as I don't know whether she said "touch," "move" or "open.")

Do these planes have a door --not a pax evacuation route-- in the back that can be opened in flight?

I was thinking, "So this is how it's going to end. I'm in a plane, something really bad is going to happen, and it's not a movie. Not only that, but the NTSB will never know exactly why that door was opened."

Heck of a way to wind up on the front page of the NY Times, splattered across a field outside Albany NY. Of course, there would be one less journalist, so maybe it balances out.

blueloo
7th Jun 2003, 16:20
Most pressurised jets have plug type overwing exits and doors - I am not sure what the Embraer? has, but pressumably works on the same principal, whereby the internal pressurisation of the plane prevents any door from opening. (as the door has to be brought inwards first against the pressure)

Not quite sure of the figures - but a B767 for example pressurised to approx 8.5 psi against a door (i am guessing the figures for the dimensions) say 2.2 meters by 1.5 meters (86 inches x 59 inches = 5109 Sq Inches x 8.5 psi) = approx 44000lb holding the door shut - which is close to 20 tonnes of pressure? ??? i dont think anyone is going to budge it....

I am sure someone can refine that or make it close to correct........

:} :}

cwatters
7th Jun 2003, 18:18
> I was thinking, "So this is how it's going to end. I'm in a plane,
> something really bad is going to happen, and it's not a movie.
> Not only that, but the NTSB will never know exactly why that
> door was opened.

But any journalist worth his salary would be calling in the story on the way down. You did get the passengers name didn't you? Captains name? No?....oh dear :-)

Anti-ice
7th Jun 2003, 19:32
Well , Well done BIK_116.80 for advertising that to the rest of the world:rolleyes:
Hope you are not sitting next to one of these when some freak tries to open it.

Idunno
7th Jun 2003, 20:13
I hope he is! :mad:

Dozza2k
7th Jun 2003, 20:14
...but they managed to open one of the rear doors of a 767 in charlie's angels.........:ok:

RiverCity
7th Jun 2003, 20:25
This was not an over-the-wing door, as I was just one row away. It was definitely way back in the aircraft. I suspect the person in question was going to the loo, as you UK types call it.

To answer cwatters: I should have led the crowd in a rousing version of "You've got trouble, right here in RiverCity, with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Pressurized Plane Plummeting."

groundhugger
8th Jun 2003, 02:08
Going by my companies embraers all you can do at the back of the aircraft is go to the loo as as far as I know there is no way of even getting into the adjoing aircraft hold,more likely having travelled on Eagle embraers a couple of times they seem to have problems with the toilet door becoming locked and pax not able to exit them again,so maybe just a case of a u/s bog!!:O

cheers

RiverCity
8th Jun 2003, 02:31
That makes sense. The c/a was not upset after she talked thru the door, so maybe she was concerned that the person would get stuck, altho I'd rather a pax stuck in the loo rather than pee in the aisle.

I have a friend who will not pee on an airplane because she's afraid the plane might crash and they'd find her with her panties down.

West Coast
8th Jun 2003, 08:35
Tell her not to wear panties then....

411A
8th Jun 2003, 10:07
Still...guess it's better than having the seat stuck to your.....:mad:

Capt Fathom
8th Jun 2003, 15:36
Maybe someone had just had a nasty dump and the FA was trying to protect the passenger from going in there!

Big Boeings have a similar arrangement with their doors. The top and bottom of Boeing doors have a full-width flap arrangement (about 3 - 5 inches high) which hinges inwards when the door handle is first moved. If the aircraft is not un-pressurised when the handle is first moved then it soon will be. ?? Never seen these on any Boeings.

cedarjet747
11th Jun 2003, 02:57
Aren't those little hatches covering the escape slide? And I thought the door had to open before the slide is deployed - not the other way around.

I think it's fair to say an aircraft door cannot be opened in flight.

britanniacrew
11th Jun 2003, 19:48
"Aren't those little hatches covering the escape slide? And I thought the door had to open before the slide is deployed - not the other way around."

Eh? do you work as Cabin Crew...hopefully not...! The slide is on the INSIDE of the door, stowed in a bustle case...and yes the slide deploys when the door is opened...

xBALx