PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic Flight Deck Visit

Jinkster
7th Jun 2003, 02:03
I am currently a PPL and studying ATPLs through a modular route at CCAT.

Would it be possible to gain a flight deck visit on the ground as I am flying VS 7 on the 4th November 2003 from LHR to LAX and returning VS 8 on 18th November 2003 LAX to LHR.

Jinkster

PAXboy
7th Jun 2003, 08:24
I am pax myself, and can only comment from what I have seen of this type of request in other threads, you might be able to get a visit at the end of the flight. However, even this is doubtful.

You could trying asking in advance of the trip in writing, so as to make it formal and on the record. However, I doubt that anyone will let you do so.

Search all the forums and you will find that this question has been asked several times in recent months.

Jinkster
7th Jun 2003, 17:14
Thanks PAXboy - will have to write to virgin atlantic.

It is such a shame it has become to this!

cjp
9th Jun 2003, 08:42
keep in mind though that restrictions on visits are still largely dependent on carrier and route... i myself was lucky enough to get a full 737 visit from push-back to shut-down between PLZ and JNB in SA just last month... Full dinner service in the jumpseat too, including hot coffee and normal (i.e. metal) cutlery... and, yes, i'm just PPL (though had been in PLZ for a renewal and some extra training, which no doubt helped my case with the captain...)

good luck!

javascript:smilie(':ok:')

cjp

NERC Dweller
14th Jun 2003, 06:03
Recently flew with Virgin. Hostie turned down flat a request for a post-arrival visit to the flight deck for the little dwellers. Didn't even ask the Flight Crew.

However United let them see the cockpit before take-off and after landing.

Edited to make clear flight deck visit was not during flight

mr.777
14th Jun 2003, 06:25
Jinkster,

ZERO chance.Sorry to be blunt but thats just the way it is post 9/11.
I've just come back from DEL.My girlfriend was operating cabin crew,I'm an ex-VS dsipatcher,training to be an ATCO in Mar 04.....I even knew the Capt from my VS days.Did I get up the front....no way.
SOP now states only operating crew,training Captains and CAA inspectors get to ride up the front (don't know what situation elsewhere is like).

Digitalis
18th Jun 2003, 18:08
There is no rule to prevent a flight deck visit once the flight is complete, however, at that point the crew will be keen to get close the aircraft down and get away, so any visit will be a fleeting one. On my last two trips we have had passengers briefly stick their heads through the door - after having asked, of course - at the end of the flight. So, Jinkster, all you have to do is ask - and hope you meet a co-operative cabin crew member who will pass on your request.

Mr 777, I think that you have misunderstood the question - Jinkster wasn't asking for an in-flight visit or a jumpseat ride. Also, the policy re staff using the jumpseats on flights that neither originate nor terminate in the USA is still under discussion with the CAA - not that would help you as an ex-VS man, I'm afraid.

Jinkster
18th Jun 2003, 18:33
Many thanks for all the replies.

I have wrote a letter to Virgin Atlantic asking then whether it is possible for me to visit and currently waiting for there reply.

Jinkster

Jinkster
19th Jun 2003, 22:52
Damn!!

Just been emailed from VA and no chance due to security, will try and ask the crew on the ground at LHR on the return flight or LAX when I get there.

Thanks for all the replies. I could throttle Bin laden one of these days :mad:

Jinkster

GrantT
21st Jun 2003, 16:02
I didn't even get a flight deck visit pre-9/11 let alone after, i'm afraid your chances are slim for now (as your last messsage shows). :(

Charlie Zulu
25th Jun 2003, 14:27
I was lucky enough to be on the flight deck for half an hour or so during a flight from LHR to LAX on a Virgin Atlantic A340.

Gorgeous view of Greenland with dotted cumulus around.

However that was pre 9/11, end of April 2000 to be precise.

The best flight deck rides have been pushback to shutdown with Ryanair (around ten times) and Mearsk (pre arranged with the Captain of the flight - a round trip to Milan).

Unfortunately it seems that if you are flying, at least, with a British and American airline then your chances are nil.

As for other airlines... not sure. I have heard Air France allow it but this is unconfirmed.

The way I used to do it was to ask the cabin crew as I boarded, handing them my licence, logbook and explaining that I was a PPL, I am studying for my ATPLs and would it be possible to visit the flight deck at some point during the flight. The Ryanair cabin crew always took me straight to the flight deck and asked the flight crew - within a couple of minutes I was strapped in being shown the emergency escapes, oxygen mask location and use, the overhead panel for the jumpseat radio point (listen only, no transmit). Once the captain was eating his crew meal (apple) flyign out of Dublin and handed his kneeboard to me saying, "Do you know the ATIS frequency for Cardiff?" "Yes its 128.82." (I fly from Cardiff Airport myself). He dialled it in and asked me to write it down for him (the Captain was PNF that sector).

Then it all changed for the worse in the matter of a few hours. I was sat at this desk typing on this same keyboard at work when it was happening. Never forget that day.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Jinkster
25th Jun 2003, 15:33
CZ,

I will be taking my PPL, logbook when I fly out to LAX. I will ask the cabin crew they can always say no....and they probably will but its worth a try.

Jinkster

Pnooze
29th Jun 2003, 22:26
As a pilot with VS i would consider it unlikely you would get a chance post-flt, as after a 15 hour day the crew will want to get off the a/c asap, but well worth asking. I used to enjoy having visitors pre 9/11 as a great way of kiling time and meeting some very interesting people:(

mr.777
30th Jun 2003, 18:27
What you really mean Pnooze is that you and the lovely ladies want to get straight to the bar at the delightful Torrance Hilton for a cold one!:ok:

maxy101
1st Jul 2003, 03:28
This is what is galling to us UK based fliers....total bull**** from TRANSEC about non authorised jumpseat pax , yet every Tom, Dick and Harry flies into UK airspace via non UK based airlines. They wonder why we can't take it all seriously...