PDA

View Full Version : Latest PDAs?

nomdeplume
7th Jun 2003, 01:38
I'm replacing an old Palm Vx which is past its best.
What do you experts recommend?

I don't want to play DVDs, games etc, but wouldn't mind a camera attachment. I mainly use the diary and address book function, don't need to type big documents but backing up on my desktop is essential for my PA and in case I lose the PDA.
The Ipaq (?) seems to be popular and so does the Palm Tungsten.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Jun 2003, 03:08
nomdeplume,

Which OS are you looking for in a PDA? Palm OS or WinCE?

If you are thinking of Palm OS, you might want to read this article:

Palm grabs Handspring (http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030604.wbpalm0604/BNStory/Business/)

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

Keef
7th Jun 2003, 05:39
Definitely "horses for courses". I bought me an iPAQ 3870 last year. There were quite a few bugs in it when it arrived, and the manufacturer didn't know the cure. It caused me some serious problems at first (especially with "disappearing" diary events).

Some of the "expert" websites DID know, and after spending about $75 on new software to replace the stuff supplied with it, it's a really great little tool. The ability to synchronise with my two desktop machines (in two different places) is very useful for me (but might not be for the next person).

I'd buy another one like a shot if I lost this one. I use the Bluetooth (to link to my cellphone for Internet and SMS); the ability to copy Excel files straight off the desktop machine and use them "on the road" is brilliant - although the screen is a bit small for some purposes, and others would probably prefer a laptop for that.

My only slight worry is that if the battery runs completely flat, it loses all the software and data on it. I back up to an SD memory card, but the only time I wanted to restore a file from the backup, it didn't work.

My daughter went a different path - she bought a PDA which is also a cellular telephone. That works perfectly for her.

Squawk7777
7th Jun 2003, 14:38
What about the cool Sony NZ-90?

Sony PDAs (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=FFFhNbbEKSthN4glkRhrPvnUu1V50XZSq5A=?Dept=hp&CatalogCategoryID=7iYKC0%2eNOUMAAAD1UDtbXJwZ)

Mac the Knife
8th Jun 2003, 19:47
You'll have to pry my Palm V from my cold, dead hand. Brilliant, and the IR port talks to the celly. No pix, but so what, I have a digital camera for that. The Palm OS is so darn good and I'm trying to get away from Micro$haft.

I have my doubts about the camera bit except as a poor quality happy-snap thing.

Gotta have even a teeny-weeny keyboard 'cos I just can't get up to speed with Graffiti.

Loved the look of the Handspring Treo's, but I guess that off now - have to see what Palm comes up with. I guess the absence of a competitor will allow them to do what they want with their prices, sigh...

Red Hackle
8th Jun 2003, 23:36
Just purchased a Dell Axim 5 Pocket PC, and am extremely impressed. It goes for an excellent price and matches, if not betters a lot of more expensive models in many respects. Unfortunately, even though a lot of us dont like it, the Pocket PC system seems to be the way to go.