PDA

View Full Version : 59 Years ago today

solotk
6th Jun 2003, 22:50
The final struggle to liberate Europe from tyranny and oppression commenced , with the words "Let's go"

Think I'll take Dad out for a beer to say "Thank you" this weekend:ok:

Training Risky
6th Jun 2003, 22:56
We must all admit, those lads made a superhuman effort getting onto those beaches. And those who died made the ultimate sacrifice...

:ok:

Its a shame that tyranny and oppression have not been stomped out of Europe completely though, if you look at the dangers that this nation faces in the form of the Euro.

:ugh:

Lu Zuckerman
6th Jun 2003, 23:21
The American and Canadian flags are flying proudly in our back yard.

:cool:

FEBA
6th Jun 2003, 23:51
Solotk
You say thank you to him from me and the kids. We're grateful as we are every November
FEBA

SPIT
7th Jun 2003, 01:36
Hi Solotk
Today is my birthday but I was born in 1947. Without blokes like your Dad I would probably NOT be here so THANK him very much.:ok: :ok:

fobotcso
7th Jun 2003, 03:10
solotk, thanks for the reminder. I regularly visit Omaha and Utah beaches and stand and think....

Lu Z, if you'd only said I could have lent you a Union Flag to go with the S & S and the Maple Leaf.

InFinRetirement
7th Jun 2003, 03:22
Me too solotk. What a sacrifice, and what a victory.

Ummm. Since I have never been to Normandy, and would very much like to. How would the reaction be to me organising such a trip.

By what means of travel? What date? Weekend or daytrip.

IFR

fobotcso
7th Jun 2003, 04:33
IFR, if you decide to give it a go, I can recommend using the P&O "Fast Craft" from Portsmouth to Cherbourg (2hrs45) starting at 0715 fom Pompey. Five in a car isn't bad for the short driving distances involved. You're there and back in the day.

Return trip is about 12 hours later getting into Pompey at about 2130.

You get time for a lunch in Ste Vaast and a conducted tour of the atmospheric museum at Utah Beach and, if you're slick, a visit to the Auchan super marché to fill up with booze on your way back to the ferry. (Not on Sundays, however.)

That's the basic. If you would like more/longer, I know an excellent B&B just outside Bayeux run by an ex-tankey who also runs tours of the Beaches.

It'll be busy next year, probably.

Tempsford
7th Jun 2003, 05:36
In 1994 I was involved with starting a new Scout Troop in Sussex. As it was the 50th Anniversary of D Day, it was decided to call it Peagsus after the famous bridge, and the Patrols were called after the Normandy Landing Beaches.
It was then decided to open up Honourary Membership to D Day veterans. The up-take in that area was fanatstic. One particular Honourary Member was a certain Major John Howard.
I had read a bit about this gentleman and to be approached by him was quite fantasic.
Although the 'Dyb Dyb Dyb' mickey takes are prevelant with many youngsters who join such youth organisations as the Scouts today, it was a real eye opener to the youngsters to realise that many of the guys that were involved in D Day were in fact ex-scouts themselves and in many cases, not a lot older than them.
I will always be grateful to Major John Howard.

Regards,

Tempsford

Skylark4
7th Jun 2003, 06:49
One of the Mulberry Harbours was at Arromanche (sp?) and there is just enough of it left, together with a superb Museum overlooking the beach, to get an eerie feeling of how it must have been. The whole area is dotted with memorials, often in the form of one of the tanks of the period. And Cemeteries, of course.

Mike W

Lu Zuckerman
7th Jun 2003, 07:15
My son and I were camping at a former German barracks near Dieppe. We had both been reading the book Green Beach a story about a Canadian group that invaded France prior to D-Day in order to search a German RADAR site on the French coast. The primary purpose of the operation was to determine the extent of the Germans’ RADAR capabilities. The story told of how it was a massacre and how the men had to crawl over the bodies of their comrades, which were lying, on a small bridge. The bridge was a choke point and the German machine gun nests were zeroed in on that bridge.

Upon leaving the campsite my son asked me if we should turn right or left. I said left and in a few minutes we were over looking Green Beach. The RADAR site had fallen over the high cliff due to erosion of the earth beneath it however the machine gun nests (Bunkers) were still in tact. That mission was a suicide mission and was doomed to failure or at the worst the loss of a lot of good men.

May they rest in peace.

:sad:

InFinRetirement
7th Jun 2003, 14:52
fobotsco

Thanks for that. Yep! I am willing to get it under way and thanks for the ideas.

It is, of course, the 60th anniversary next year when I imagine the area will be "invaded" by many of the same heros. Many organised events will be arranged in their honour and I am not sure if that day is a good day to go, although the atmosphere would be magnificent, and we would be able to honour them too - in our own way.

First then. I would first like to see how many would like to go. Plus their views and ideas on the trip.

So...........please let me know - on this thread - who would be interested in going in June next year.

IFR

BlueWolf
7th Jun 2003, 17:51
Cheers from me as well, solotk.
He and his ilk are owed an unrepayable debt.

Respect.

fobotcso
7th Jun 2003, 20:58
IFR, you're welcome. Personally I'd suggest a small group visit will provide a greater return for the effort even if you do decide to go for the 60th anniversary commemoration as well.

The D-Day Museum in Bayeux, close to the British and Commonwealth Cemetry, is an all day affair. You will find yourself standing and reflecting and losing all track of time as you read the letters of the soldiers, Allied and German. There are entrance charge concessions for ex-military but I can't remember how you go about getting them.

Then there are the Tapestry, the Churches, the cafés and so on...

I. M. Esperto
8th Jun 2003, 03:27
The history Ch., HIS, did it proud. Excellent coverage, and dozens of combatant's were on the tube with their horror stories.

An amazing story about ingenious engineering, logistics, planning, and just plain old GUTS.

God bless them all.

SASless
8th Jun 2003, 04:39
Am taking a ride up to Bedford, Virginia to the D-Day Memorial tomorrow. The 116 Regiment (Infantry), 29th Division (Infantry) was made up of Virginia National Guardsmen and took 95% casualties on Omaha Beach. Bedford, a town of 3200 in 1944 lost 19 sons in the first fifteen minutes of the landing....and 2 more before the day was over.

Wiley
8th Jun 2003, 14:52
The Normandy beaches have been on my ‘gunna’ list for some time. Can anyone suggest a good guide book (books?) for a first time visitor, one that will give a good overview of where particular museums/memorials are situated as well as the history of the landings?

chippy63
9th Jun 2003, 18:30
Wiley,
Michelin do (?did) a really interesting and useful map of the beaches, with a lot of detail on the units involved.

skua
9th Jun 2003, 21:36
IFR

A flight over the beaches is a must. The Mulberry harbour at Arrromanches is very visible, as are numerous blockhauses, if you are at sufficiently low level. The US cemetary is also magnificent from the air.

I was there for the 50th anniversary with my father-in-law, who was with the Royal Welsh that day. We watched the biggest para drop I have ever seen over Pegasus Bridge, with a huge party thereater. He, like the other vets, was presented with a medal at the Caen town hall. All very moving. Not sure if there will be the same level of ceremonies next year.

Another museum I would strongly recmommend is the Mémorial at Caen.

Rgds

Skua

solotk
10th Jun 2003, 01:18
Dad was there for the 50th with Mum

She said she was staggered, that this man she'd known for 30 odd years , had kept so quiet about what he had done.

It was only when he found some people who had been with him, and stories like "You remember this, I was on the Bren, and you threw a grenade" , "Or what about that tank you hit with the PIAT" , that she had to step back and reflect that she didn't really know the guy she'd had children with. Mind you, she says less complimentary stuff about him as well :)

Even now, Dad is intensely private about it. The only time he's ever said anything, was after "Band of Brothers" appeared, and he said "That is EXACTLY like it was in Belgium that winter"

He tends to concentrate on stories of training, or being in India or Cyrencia or patrolling on the NW frontier.

I can only hope and strive to be half the man he is, or has achieved/done with his life.

InFinRetirement
10th Jun 2003, 01:35
I am sure you will solotk, I am sure you will. Something of how you feel shines brightly enough.

skua

I was thinking in terms of perhaps seeing if a B737 is feasible - say from Gatwick to Deauville. A flight over the beaches is then entirely possible. Especially if it is the pilot I think it would be. :)

I will look at all possibles. But I had hoped that rather more might be interested. But loads of time yet.