PDA

View Full Version : Delport faces tax evasion, fraud charges

Deanw
6th Jun 2003, 22:08
Finally, I've beaten Guns to a news article :8

Delport faces tax evasion, fraud charges

THE SA Revenue Service (SARS) has hit back at Hennie Delport, owner of Phoebus Apollo Aviation, by having him arrested for tax evasion and contraventions of the Customs and Excise Act.

Delport incurred the SARS' wrath last year after he orchestrated the first raid on it in SA legal history.

Delport appeared briefly in the Pretoria Commercial Crimes Court on charges of fraud totalling about R280m and was released on R500000 bail. His brother Andre and employee Chris Pickardt were also arrested and released on R100000 bail each.

Warrants of arrest have been issued for another 11 people.

The case relates to the export of duty free and duty paid cigarettes. The SARS has accused Delport of forging documents to say he had exported cigarettes, as a way to get value added tax returns. The cigarettes were then allegedly sold in SA.

A civil case brought by Delport against the SARS is continuing. In April last year Delport, as owner of Apollo Tobacco, secretly got court orders for raids of SARS offices. He accused the SARS and British American Tobacco of conspiring to jeopardise business operations.

The criminal case was postponed until September 15.

Balloothebear
6th Jun 2003, 22:39
Ah gee Hennie,please pass us another "Maddison"
"he who liveth by the sword,shall surely perish by the sword":E

Gunship
6th Jun 2003, 22:48
Well done Dean ! ;)

I am sure this is the same guy that did my uncle in for R600k plus in an advertising deal !

If so RIPIJail bro ! :E

Just because you won me - you get a three star from me :p

Deanw
6th Jun 2003, 23:09
You're too kind.

Have a tassie on me :ok:

rags
6th Jun 2003, 23:38
Capt Delport is also known as "Highway Hennie". I think he is going to find beating SARS a LOT more difficult the CAA.

Must be some old DCA Inspectors smiling over a beer/Maddison tonight.

Do I recall some story about flying $$$$$ into the States a couple of years ago??:confused: :E :yuk:

USE THE RUDDERS
7th Jun 2003, 06:22
It was only a matter of time.

saaviator
9th Jun 2003, 23:08
:O He has had this coming for years now

BAKELA
11th Jun 2003, 18:31
There's an old saying "If you stir ****watch out for the smell", and specially for ORCA ;) another one that goes "Check your six". Maybe this is a case of too much stirring and too little of checking the six.

Deanw, I have a hunch this thread is going to become huge and have a long life span. "Watch this space" as they say.

Gunship
11th Jun 2003, 19:03
:oh: ..... Mr Delport pi:mad: ed off quite a few operators :suspect:

saaviator
11th Jun 2003, 21:30
BAKELA
I have known him from the days he used to hire a twin Piper and disappeared off to Zim from Rand Airport.
He has stood on a lot of peoples toes and really :mad: them off. Will not be surprised if a lot off people came forward with information about him.

BAKELA
11th Jun 2003, 23:27
Saaviator,

Welcome to Pprune bru.:ok: Exactly what I mean. Reading the press it seems he really :mad: off the internal revenue guys and did not check his six after that, now the :mad:is starting to smell. Lets wait and see what happens in court.

saaviator
12th Jun 2003, 19:54
Tx BAKELA
I am interested to see the out come of this case in the court. If you have any news before I have please let me know.:D

Staller
28th May 2004, 20:08
Mr.Delport was never charged with any offences to SARS.

Rhodie
28th May 2004, 20:25
Hmmm..... :suspect:

An engineer, PPL current on C150, C152 and 'sort of' on a DC3, bringing up an OLD post.....

Now, who the h#ll is Mr. Helport ...... :confused:

Mr. DELPORT, on the other hand, is well known...

R

Aviator609
29th May 2004, 04:55
The fact that his operation wasn't shut down years ago doesn't reflect very well on the South African aviation industry. But every dog gets his day and hopefully he'll get a couple of years, just
to prove to him that he wasn't as clever as he thought he was! :hmm:

Stephen Stark
29th May 2004, 12:07
Is there any other info that you guys could share on this operator? I used to work at Rand, and it seemed to be a well greased machine... And anyone know what will happen to their classic old ducks?

Longdrop
29th May 2004, 16:15
The guy is infamous, and been around for at least 15 years…… I could write a book on the stories I have heard, perhaps he will get the time to write his own.

Stephen Stark
30th May 2004, 16:22
Hey Grizzly Sorry, missed the story last year even though I was at Rand practically every day :O So was just trying to get some more out of it! Do you know what will become of their beautiful classics?

Cheers :ok:

Was that for us?
2nd Jun 2004, 18:10
Hey Grizzly remember him in the late 80's running out of fuel at Beira and injuring the PAX badly one was confined to a wheel chair afterwards. He repeated the running out of fuel bit later in a Kingair south of JNB when he landed on the highway hence the nick name Highway Hennie. Makes one think about the value of an RSA pilots license!!!

Longdrop
2nd Jun 2004, 20:02
Was that him, in the late Rob Petit’s (spell) aircraft, about 17 years ago ?....haha. Not fare to judge the RSA licence just because of one idiot, rather question how he held onto it !!!

Stephen Stark
3rd Jun 2004, 07:17
Imagine some guy on the side of the highway next to a King Air with a bottle in his hand trying to hitch a ride to the garage to get a couple of litres of parrafin. Would he be trying to copy the guy who does it with the bakkie?? Brilliant! :E

Metro man
3rd Jun 2004, 13:13
Does Hennie still fly dressed in sandles ,swimming trunks and a filthy T shirt ? I remember him from Mozambique .A journalist from New Yorker magazine did an article in 1989 on a trip with Inter Ocean ,describing it as "a good indication of the desperation of the Mozambiquean government" and Hennie and his co pilot as "a couple of cartoon truck drivers ,overweight ,unshaven profane".

Famous quote of his "I've had these boys on a diet "refering to refugees who hadn't been supplied for some time.

Managed to land a DC3 on Paradise Island ,something I believe no one else would attempt.

Have a read of the book "Mozambique - A Complicated War" ,can't remember the author.

Goffel
3rd Jun 2004, 22:29
:8 Yes,Hennie was certainly flamboyant and a couple of other things.

But are we not forgetting that he gave quite a few pilots jobs and a fair amount of these guys got to fly medium heavy metal.

So dont you think that we should give Hennie some due regardless of what we think or what we think we know.

I know this is a rumour site,but sometimes we need to think before knocking someone.
:E

unablereqnavperf
4th Jun 2004, 12:24
I've known Hennie since 1979 and he as always been a likeable rouge, very convincing and can be very charming but i wouldn't trust him even with my mother-in-law. He's a seasoned proffesional when it come s to interior decorating prison cells I believe the US treasury is still not impressed with him either!
Something to do with printing and their world famous dollar bills!