PDA

View Full Version : Tcas II

Dew Point
6th Jun 2003, 19:30
Gents,

You are all aware of the new ruling enforced by South African CAA coming to effect on the 1st July 2003 re TCAS II/ACAS II for all aircraft part 121.
How does it affect you guys and your companies?

From a flight safety it is a great thing, but for guys operating older fleet, price tag is too high in already rough market situation.

Wonder why CAA did not gave ample warning to install it?
European and American operators had between five and eight years to implement...

:confused:

PS - To Gunns - no hard feelings re mud slinging.....................

Balloothebear
6th Jun 2003, 22:44
Please check out SACAA AIC 20.14 Dated 03-01-15 regarding the exact compliance of the TCAS/ACAS II.:hmm:

Douglas Racer
6th Jun 2003, 23:12
:cool:
Hot off the press:

This might be too late for some? ATNS auditorium, Mon 9th June 08h30 for 09h00, presentation by SAA and ATNS representatives to all interested operators who have to use TCAS. Only just heard about it, CAA co-ordinater is Arthur Downes, see if you can make it.

Gunship
8th Jun 2003, 08:26
In case you do not know how ACAS works ... here is the info in short ....

ACAS II is an on-board computer system that provides a last resort to the crew to avoid a mid-air collision.

This applies when there is no air traffic control of the airspace or controllers have not realised the danger.

Typically, the Acas starts to record the position, height and speed of opposing traffic about 80 nautical miles from the host aircraft.

The position of the opposing traffic is shown on a screen relative to the position of the host aircraft.

Assuming the other aircraft is also equipped with Acas, the two units will "interrogate" each other and work out whether they are on a collision course.

At the same time, they alert the crews to the presence of an "intruder". The crew will then have to take the necessary action.

If the opposing aircraft is equipped with a transponder only, the Acas system can still detect and monitor its course, and keep its own crew informed.

However, in high-density airspace, aircraft are often only seconds away from each other.

In such a case, Acas would give an aural "traffic alert" warning when separation is between 15 and 48 seconds.

A resolution advisory order to "climb" or "descend", irrespective of air traffic controllers' directives, has to be immediately complied with to avoid a collision.

Gunship
8th Jun 2003, 08:36
PS - To Gunns - no hard feelings re mud slinging.....................

No problem mate ..

I posted a news article about it from the Sunday times ... might be of interest to you guys ...

See : Comply or No fly and ACAS II - How it works .. I did not .. hope somebody else can also know now ;)

Uhmmm Yes ORCA us Chopppper oke's do not need it ... :ouch:

REAL ORCA
8th Jun 2003, 17:11
Dont worry Gunzzz, it works just like your fishfinder:}

V1 Rotate
8th Jun 2003, 20:59
Guys, I'm flying a Citation V in the US at the moment, the tcas is going off all the time due to the density of traffic. Around New York and Washington it gets very hectic.
One thing I will say is that you would be amazed how much traffic there is that you wouldn't normally see without Tcas.
Its a bit like driving on the freeway some times!
The kit is very relevant in such dense airspace but I'm sure that the CAA should give some of the guys in SA with older equipment a bit of a break. Especially for Tcas II
In the States we are now getting ready for RVSM compliance. The bird I'm flying is pretty new so it has all the toys but the guys with older machines are going to schlep.
The guys here tell me it is quiet at the moment. I can't wait to see what its like when its busy !
V1 Rotate:cool:

BAKELA
26th Jun 2003, 00:04
There's a letter from the South African CAA floating around. Saw the draft and ACAS II is compulsory from 1 July 2003.

NO exemptions have been granted by the SA CAA. All ACAS II pilot training programmes also have to be included in Part 121 operations manuals by 30 September 2003.

Will this have a serious effect on certain operators?:confused: