PDA

View Full Version : East Timor Helicopter Ops

hueywsh
6th Jun 2003, 18:09
I have posted a similar topic on the military forum as well, but I was just curious as to who were involved in helo ops in Timor. I have just come back from a 6 month deployment with the UN Police and was extremely impressed with the aussies, kiwis and singaporeans that I had the pleasure to fly with. So, anyone that served in Suai, Cova Lima I would be interested to hear your stories. Thanks again to all those that assisted us in times of crisis over there.

Cheers

Stunty
7th Jun 2003, 10:43
Times of crisis hey??? I know just what you mean.

1. Big surf at the SPOD and you left your board in Australia.
2. Out of beer at the Aussie Coppers House.
3. Have to leave luxurious Suai to go to crapville Dili for whatever reason.
4. Something tasty missing from the menu at the Eastern Dragon.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. 162 are preparing to leave but the Singa's are staying a little longer. All the UNPOL in Suai had to reapply for there jobs because they cut the expat staff to 6. Looks like the three Aussies that were here managed to retain their spots which they were all pretty happy about last night.

Say G'day to Dave O'Meara for me if you run into him.

Rueffy
Suai Airport.

hueywsh
7th Jun 2003, 14:59
Gday mate. so I see PAE is alive and well by the sounds of it. I ran into dave last week as amatter of fact, and I will see him again on Monday, I'll say gday. How long is your contract for? Say hi to Lim and the other boys for me, we did do it tough there didn't we. Are 162 being rotated again? All those points you mentioned are spot on mate, I do miss the honey prawns at the Eastern dragon tho and playing boulder dash (remember).
The UN is after my number plate!!!!!
Cheers

Stunty
8th Jun 2003, 08:31
Looks like PAE will be staying on till at least the end of the year, if not a little longer. But the 162 (and all Aussie Aviation in suai) is heading home, and as far as the UN tells us they are not being replaced. The Dash 7 crews and I think a couple of the mi-8 crews have been extended through to almost the middle of next year. Nice work UN....keep yourselves in the job for another 12 months (no conflict of interest in that decision).

Dis-Mystery of Lift
20th Jun 2003, 11:55
Rueffy you old ******,
Howz it hanging my man.Missing your trips to Dili to have a few Dark and Stormys with yours truly.Missing Timor Heaps...not.Give my reagrds to Damo,Kiwi and the gang.Still keeping in Touch with Fish and Bridge so know whats going on that side.Flying heaps back in NZ so drop us aline if you are coming over for a few Spieghts.Looks like it will be a good Ski Season this year,Take Care,

The Other Kiwi AD Team member.