PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air v Emirates

maryjane
5th Jun 2003, 20:58
Hi All,

I have been offered a job with Gulf Air, but I also made it to the final round of the Emirates interview in Melbourne. It is still supposed to be a couple of weeks before I hear from them.

From the info I have received from both airlines Emirates seems to be heaps better, pay etc. even down to the fact Emirates provides you with towels and Gulf doesn't.

In reality is Gulf that much worse? The pay for Gulf seems terrible, even after allowances. Are flight attendants with Gulf usually able to save much money?

Any info on what it is like to work for either airline would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Maryjane

craic1510
5th Jun 2003, 21:08
I don't think there is a substantial difference between Gulf Air and Emirates except the fact that Emirates "mother" airline of the middle east. Gulf Air is controlled by the same people, just the airline is worth less, therefore pay is less and living in bahrain is not as glamerous as living in Dubai. I do know that Gulf Air is a fantastic airline and I also know someone who worked as a purser for GA for 6 years. She loved every minute of her job.

I have been through the emirates interview process, after flying to sydney from Perth but unfortunately did not get a final interview. But I have applied again and I have also just put in an application to GA. I would work for either - emirates preferably. But the fact is I would still be part of a career I have dreamed of for years. Money comes secondary in the scheme of things, when you work so hard to get the job.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

craic1510
:)

ferris
5th Jun 2003, 21:48
You need to find out if you are working for Gulf Air, or Gulf Traveller. There is a big difference. GF have recently been recruiting people who subsequently found out they will be working for Gulf Traveller.

daisydaze
6th Jun 2003, 09:45
The last time I checked Emirates and Gulf Air were certainly not owned by the same people, I could be wrong but I think you will find Emirates is a Private Company and Gulf Air is owned by 3, previously 4 Arab States. Entirely different mentality controlling each these 2 Airlines.
Pay wise as a new FA you earn around about the same, however Emirates seem to have a quicker expansion and therefore greater chance of promotion and naturally better money.
Gulf Air have longer layover in certain places, more attractive if you are looking at sightseeing at destinations, and living in Bahrain is possibly a little more like a big country town feel, as it is a small country and it doesn't take long to get to know lots of people.
Dubai has a different feel and the accommodation for crew is far nicer then that of Gulf Air.
One Airline has the reputation of one of the World's best winning several awards, with a good managerial structure, the other is an airline trying to regain it's former glory, and seems to be doing quite well at achieveing this for the moment, despite some interesting changes in Management over the past few years.
To cut it short - go to Emirates.
Hope this helps - only my opinion but I have been fortunate enough to have experience to a degree with both Airlines.

Good Luck
Daisy

SocialFlyer
7th Jun 2003, 11:14
Daisy, how did you go???? I'm waiting to hear from you....