PDA

View Full Version : Twin Otter or Cessna Caravan ?

flemerle
5th Jun 2003, 13:31
Hello Ppruners !!

Need some advice here. I'm thinking about doing a turbine endorsement very soon. Got to choose btw the Twin Otter and the Cessna Cavaran. Which one you think should be the one to go for thinking about future employment etc etc

Thanks for your answers...

El Peligroso
5th Jun 2003, 15:43
Do you have a twin rating already? If not go Twotter.
If you do, have a look at who's hiring and on what type.
Good luck!;)

flemerle
5th Jun 2003, 15:51
El Peligroso

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm rated on the Pa30/39 n P68. The DHC-6 or C208 will be my first turbine aircraft.

Do you know any company who regularly hires pilots rated on those 2 aircrafts?

Thanks again.

Cpt Launchpad
8th Jun 2003, 19:21
:D I have been flying the van for over 2 years now and have nothing but good to say about this awesome machine (except that windscreen wipers would be handy for those heavy rain landings !!)
Back to your question,from what I and many of my pals have experienced,the Caravan rating is definately the way to go.All of us tried the various ratings but of all the money I have spend,including my training fees,the van rating was the best money I have ever spent and is what got me my first real flying job.As for the twin otter,I hear it is a nice machine,slower than the van actually,but as far as I know not too many are around in South Africa.
Ross Air are pretty much the only ones operating them regularly and Solenta has reassigned their Otters as their Algeria contract was mutualy cancelled.
To cut a long story short,there are quite a few Caravan operators opposed to Twin otters,and if you are patient,as all of us where,you should be able to get a couple of hours on a Caravan,sooner rather than later.

Good luck:ok: :ok: :cool: