PDA

View Full Version : 21 Squadron BBJ

Goldfish Jack
5th Jun 2003, 04:40
Overheard in the pub last night:

A certain captain, who has just retired, from SAA (with many hours experience - I believe about 24000hrs) is about to return to the SAAF to fly the BBJ.

Any truth in this rumour (oh and that the SAAF are still looking for pilots to fly the BBJ?)

clipboard
5th Jun 2003, 23:16
I won't be surprised. After all the BBJ requires highly skilled and experienced crew.

What I fail to understand, in light of the SAAF's equal opportunity policy, why they don't appoint affirmatives to this squadron? There are a number of affirmatives who have not quite made the grade at CFS Langebaan, but instructions from SAAF HQ was quite clear that the instructors should spend more time with these pupes, and that they must be seen through their course. Well, I wonder why our President does not insist on on one of those boys taking up the command seat on his BBJ? Its government policy is'nt it? Or does this sort of job not require an affirmative appointment?

tyrant
6th Jun 2003, 04:18
Isn't it 60 sqdn that operates the BBJ??

Gunship
6th Jun 2003, 06:23
Tyrant as far as I know 21 but might be wrong?

If I was a tired / retired Captain.. think it could be fun flying Tabo et al around the world. :uhoh:

In the old days the 21 Sqn pilots had a different "S and T" System as the normal oke's in the SAAF, so they stayed in good hotels, Avis cars and that type of thing.

Nope just kidding I would not do it .. glorified taxi driver I was too long in my life waiting for pi55ed pax and always late .. :p

Deanw
6th Jun 2003, 15:33
Hi Tyrant

21 Sqn operates the BBJ, together with the Falcon 50s, 900A and Citations (Gunnnss :cool: ).

The Boeing 707s are operated by 60 Sqn, but lets not talk about them ... :E

Gunship
6th Jun 2003, 16:03
Oh Citation(s) ... shall I forget that ONE ... HK551N was the original ?

Anybody knows what happened to Mr Herbert Krottenberger .. sorry that is another chapter in my book !

What a guy .. sjees ...:E

tyrant
6th Jun 2003, 19:38
Hi dean

I know 21 is the VIP flight, but i heard something about the BBJ being operated by 60 for some or other reason. I think it was a Boeing thing, not sure.

Maybe operated by 60 and crewed by 21 ?? is it posible??

Ah well who cares, i don't get to fly in it. :mad: :sad:

Gunns

What was the huge hooo haaa with uncle herbie?? i was still at school when he was around, he gave me a couple flips around the country in the citation, gave me cash for no real reason exept for putting the pitot covers on. Also went through a couple wives as far as i could see. THEN.................. GONE

Please Gunns, Anybody, who was this fella, and whos dirty little pies did he have his dirty little fingers in.

Goldfish Jack

Sorry for hijacking the topic :bored:

Sir Cumference
6th Jun 2003, 21:25
Clipboard, ask this question, when the President goes for a vasectomy, is he going to demand an affirmative? Methinks not! The same will apply to his transport through all sorts of weather etc. in a BBJ. Maybe the SAAF will be looking for drivers with experience.

Guns, the last I saw of Krotty, was sitting on the veranda at Lanseria about 18 months ago and he was explaining to me how he planned to purchase a Falcon 100 for his personal use. Have heard nothing more so maybe he has gone...

Gunship
6th Jun 2003, 21:50
Sorry this is a serious hi-jack.

Please mail me if you have his e-mail address.

Sorry Tyrant I just know him as a Gentleman. I bought a Citation II SP from him (now 21 Sqn Property) tx for the reminder DeanW ;)

His aircraft was the best looking / best kept / best everyting I have ever seen ! By far !

He had a fleet of a Citation (replaced by a falcon 200 I think), Lear 55 - WOW Man - Durban and back in 1 hr 40 minutes and we will just go for lunch.

Then a great Jetranger and his wife's "training aircraft" Beach something ...

Although we had plenty sh1t with him - I later learned that was how business worked as we had a in - between Johan E. Van Staden ( I last saw him on the Sunday Times front page as he was accused of making false money).

But HK - I admire him and what a great man - Ferrari's, Porche's, E-Type's he had them all and the cleanest hanger I have ever seen in 28 years of flying !

Back to the topic .... I will easily fly the Citation II SP again as the jnr's fly in it - what a great aircraft she was ...

Anybody knows where I can find Mr van Staden ? :E

Deanw
6th Jun 2003, 22:05
The BBJ is officially on the books of 21 Sqn.

Just where the flight crew come from has not yet been disclossed by the SAAF. A January 2002 article mentioned that there were not enough pilots to fly both the BBJ and the Falcon 900 at the same time :*

B Sousa
6th Jun 2003, 22:52
Interesting Post here regarding the BBJ and the Numero Uno Passenger . There is a message though, in that most here would love to see some Affirmitives fly the thing and wait for the fireball. The truth of the matter is anyone who knows about it and could qualify would whore out in a New York Minute to get the job....