PDA

View Full Version : 6´5´´ too tall for heli ?

slamtofakie
4th Jun 2003, 09:01
hi there

I found quite a bunch of topics on this issue, but only written for f/w, not for rotary.

the question is, exactly:

what disadvantage is a body measure of 6´5´´ height (195 cm) and 95 kg (not changin anymore) in becoming a professional heli pilot ?
here´s some additionals: it´s my legs that make me this long, not the torso.
sittin absolutely upright i make 97,2 cm from floor to uppermost part of my head, which is
37,8 inch or 3.15 feet.

and remember: I know it cost´s 2 mercedes-benz to even train and get the certificate, another half to keep it, applicate and gather some hours,
i know that it´s a hazzle to get into that BIZ, I know that it´s not the job to earn bucks...... etc.pp
please don´t feel coerced to judge affected by other criteria like the facts mentioned above....it´s just this one question ( physical shape) that´s the matter.

feel free to give any advice, post urls or do some tick off ( you may set several "x"-es ) :

part 1:

( ) i guess there will not be any, or only slight disadvantage
( ) don´t think that there will be considerable disadvantage
( ) could be a slight disadvantage
( ) could be some disadvantage
( ) could be considerable da.
( ) could cause problems
( ) could cause serious problems up to ineptitude of flying
common types like a jet ranger, dauphine, hughes etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------
part 2:

( ) it´s only the weight of 95 kg ( 210 lbs) that could cause
detriments,
( ) maybe an aviation manager/chief pilot/assessment-
team/whatever might prefer a lighter person havin the same
qualifications/character/ faculties

( ) copter companies just start to build better adjustable cockpits,
with
( ) adjustable seat ( forth and back, up and down)
( ) height adjustable stick, therewith little-uns won´t have to
keep their arm up all the time, may let it rest on their femoral
( ) height adjustable stick, therewith tall ones won´t have to dig
deep between their legs :p

( ) being this tall, you will get by in most of the commonly used
copter types, but you will definitely crash your helmet to the
glass dome from time to time.
( ) one cannot generalize this issue. you might have problems in
a small schooling type, but as to most of the other types,
there won´t be considerable problems.
( ) all newer models will work well, as to older helicopters, you
may reach your borders.
( ) your weight is not the best circumstance, but it´s within the
limits
( ) your height is also not the best circumstance, but it´s also just
within the limits, for your torso is not that tall, and pedals are
already very well adjustable these days....

( ) all this talks is just shXt , that´s my opinion on that affair:..................................................... ............................................................ ............................................................ ..........................

any comments are very much appreciated, :)

I have to repeat, I´m not a stubborn idiot who´s gonna wreck his
bank-account / life for this dream of flying whopwhops. There is very little chance that I will ever fly a heli, so many hurdles on the way.... But I really have to know the answer to this question, and would be really thankful if any experienced guys could spend 1 or 2 minutes.

many thanks :)

M@rkus:

bellsux
4th Jun 2003, 11:32
I never would have thought that Ali-G was that tall...

slamtofakie
4th Jun 2003, 19:50
sorry if my posting was a bit too forward.
I re-wrote the last part.

M

Shawn Coyle
4th Jun 2003, 22:24
Much as I hate to put anyone off flying helicopters, my recommendation is that at 6'5" you stand a very good chance of doing long term damage to your spine.
The Canadian Air Force did a study years ago that concluded the Jet Ranger should not be flown by anyone more than 5'10" tall.
I don't know of too many helicopters that can accomodate people who are as tall as you, either for leg length or sitting height (do you happen to know your percentile sitting height and leg length - that is where you fit in the general population as a percentage?).
Seriously, in some machines, if I wear a helmet, I scrape the overhead window, and I'm just 6'.
Sorry to throw a damper on things, but your long term health is more important than being a career helicopter pilot.
Shawn

sarboy w****r
4th Jun 2003, 22:38
Don't see what the problem is, provided you're persistent.

I'm 6' 5", and weigh about 95 kg. I'm also a serving RAF helicopter pilot (shucks, there aren't many of us about, so I guess there's goes my anonymity!).

I was turned down by the RAAF initially for being too tall, but some years later joined the RAF. I didn't sit up straight when they measured me, that's all :ok: . In fact, they still think I'm several inches shorter than I am. You may simply find that you need to adapt your seating posture to fit the cockpit of the aircraft of your choice. Be prepared for the odd back pain/neck ache: it's fairly common in helicopter pilots, and your height won't make the situation any better.

The moral of the story is that if you accept what you're told at first, then things will never come to pass. If you're an annoyingly persistent git, who never accepts 2nd best, then you're in with a chance.

Hope it works out for you. Best wishes,

SBW

DBChopper
5th Jun 2003, 00:28
Well I'm 6'4" and 93kg and I fly the R22. OK, I wear the R22.

As for spine injury, I don't have any medical proof, but I feel no more at risk that driving a car, riding a motorbike, or partaking in any other activity. I'm sure there are helicopters which will afford me more, or less, space, but in fact I'm reasonably comfortable in the '22. In an R44, with a little extra legroom, I am very comfortable. If anything I find the roof a little low in the 206, but I just cut my hair a bit shorter and stopped using gel.

None of which will stop me blowing squillions on my CPL(H)...

DBChopper
:ok:

Dave_Jackson
5th Jun 2003, 02:50
slamtofakie

This link to page on ergonomics (http://www.unicopter.com/0820.html) may be of some interest.
It has the dimensions for a standard tall person (6'-1") and for a physically challenged person :ouch: of 6'-4".

slamtofakie
5th Jun 2003, 08:05
sorry to everybody, just wrote a one hour reply, but this piece of **** of browser deleted it....

so here I go again:

RAF pilot:

what types are you on, currently, and have you been on during schooling? is there, now that you´ve lost your anonymity:p any pics of you on the web, or a pic of you in the cockpit ? would be great !! [email protected] feel free to send your pics if you feel like....

test pilot:

i know that tall people get problems with their lumbal spine when they grow older.....life ain´t fair....

especially when they don´t train the relevant muscles (torso, abdomen, lumbal, vertebral muscals) regularly, and wreck them in
ballsports or atrophy them due to inactivity.

I do sports ever since, know about training theory, know my body inside out, have studied medicine for a short time ( one winter term).....

believe me, I am the last to wreck my spine because of wrong sits or inactivity. run, swim, ride bike, that´s it.

I know too, that chopper pilots very easily get spine ache because of the constand beating of the engine through the seat.
know that, my father explained that to me, he´s a radiologist....

but I guess you´re right, i could get in serious trouble in a 206
jet ranger or stuff......
just because of this ultra-flat designed dome.
grrrrrrr

another idea: why hasn´t bell had the idea yet to provide extra-shaped higher glass domes?
as things seem to me, it is only the dome that causes problems,
pedals and seat can be adjusted. so why has nobody had the idea yet of re-shaping it ? wouldn´t cause any disadvantage concerning airflow-resistance, for choppers usually fly very slow.
and the whole issue is just about 10-15 centimeters.....
that´wouldn´t be that much of an effort....or am I wrong ?

thanks to everybody

greetz to vanvouver, been there ( last summer...beautiful!! ), done that, got the pee-shirt :-)

M

sarboy w****r
6th Jun 2003, 01:19
Slamtofakie,

Presently on Sea King (similar to S61). Have flown Chinook before, as well as RAF training helicopters (Squirrel = AS350/355?? and Griffin = Bell 412).

Loads! of head and leg room in Sea King. Slightly less so in Chinook. Squirrel is tight for leg room, but Griffin is absolutely fine, no probs at all. Its seat moves up/down/fwd/back, so it gives plenty of space.

Dave_Jackson:

Physically challenged? 6' 4" is obviously normal, anyone shorter is quite clearly related to an Oompah Loompah from Willy Wonka and the Choclate Factory!:p

slamtofakie
6th Jun 2003, 02:14
is there, now that you´ve lost your anonymity any pics of you on the web, or a pic of you in the cockpit ?

my grammar sucked, I guess it was late last night.....

@ sarboy:

I guess the only real chance as a tall person to fly whoppers is
the army.

first there´s all these hard tests. But if you get through this
parcours, and make a good medical then, your in.
perhaps it takes also a special approval, but if one really makes an effort, it should be possible.

of course the training helicopters will be uncomfort, but
if you make it all through the training, you can fly the biggies.
and there is really much room.not only the cargo section, but the cockpit, too....

i passed my A-levels in june 2000. then there was 2 friends that wanted to do the military service together with me.
first of course I checked If they´d let me run through the
"offiziersprüfzentrale" , but they won´t let me. they told me I was 2 cm to long, which is less than one inch.

then the guys and I served 10 months in a paratrooper unit.
I also had my 5 jumps out of the transall, was great.
one time I had the possibility to fly as a passenger in a CH53, I was at the KSK/calw these days and the commandos did theyr freefall parachute training. And I was absolutely stunned, cause
the pilots sat on thrones that had, like you mentioned, loads of leg,-and headroom.At this moment I really felt pi.ss.ed... :(

right about now i´m bringin forward a motion of reentry, flying service. If they´ll take me ( I´ll be 23 already next year ), it´d be great... if not......

Well I dunno yet....

perhaps I´l make the ATPL for fixedwing in a few years.
the prospects to get a job in this market are also bad, it´s a rigid biz, but i guess tryin to get into helicopter business one my own, bein my size (6´5´´),
without sufficiant (means LOADS of) funds is like a 9mm glock straight to the temple.

my opinion.

all right then, thanks everybody for reply, especially sarboy

cheers,

M

sarboy w****r
6th Jun 2003, 22:21
Slamtofakie,

No probs, best of luck. Just remember, if you ask someone is there going to be a problem, then they will often say yes, or make one up.

If you don't bother asking, just apply anyway, then you'd be surprised what is overlooked. There are legions of pilots out there in the military who are supposedly too short, too tall, too fat, too light, or that suffer from hayfever (usually put down as 'summer colds')! Every once in a while people will ask 'isn't there a problem here?', but when they see that you are better than others and can fly perfectly well, the question is dropped. It happened to me.

Best wishes,

SBW

slamtofakie
7th Jun 2003, 01:05
thanks, sarboy

i appreciate your answers very much, especially cuz we´re in a forum where too much help and support might even cause trouble in givin newbies ( there are so many of them..) too much or misleading encouragement.
I have fullest understanding for guys who just do the usual
answer, transmitting 4 lines and then wishing best luck.....
I don´t think that is because of arrogance or lack of interest, but just a necessary measure against the flood of wannebees like me.....

well then

thanks for every reply, dave, DB, shawn and of course sarboy,

only a test-sit on local airshows or public flight days will bring further, even more detailed and instructive info

bye

close topic

M