PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Acrobat Reader

Compass Call
4th Jun 2003, 08:40
I have downloaded a form from HM Govt. which is a .pdf file. I have opened it using Adobe Acrobat Reader and would like to fill in the form using my computer prior to printing it. Alas I cannot find out how to do this. I cannot get a 'flashing cursor' in any of the field boxes as can be done with a 'M$ Word' document.
Can anybody help me out of my predicament? :confused:

Many thanks,

CC

amanoffewwords
4th Jun 2003, 14:36
You need a PDF editor rather than the reader which just allows you to read the document without possibility of alteration. This was discussed previously in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89806) (though the question was slightly different the answer, alas, is the same). Don't you just love 'The Government' :{ ?!

hth
amofw

Jet II
4th Jun 2003, 16:04
You can fill out forms in Acrobat Reader by

To fill out a form:

1 Select the hand tool .

2 Position the pointer inside a form field, and click. The I-beam pointer allows you to type text. The arrow pointer allows you to select a button, a check box, a radio button, or an item from a list.

3 After entering text or selecting an item, check box, or radio button, do one of the following: Press Tab to accept the form field change and go to the next form field.

This works for Acrobat Reader 4 onwards (it may work with earlier versions but I haven't got them)

Hope this helps.

amanoffewwords
4th Jun 2003, 16:44
But all that depends on the originator the form giving permission for the form to be completed on-screen doesn't it?

Jet II
5th Jun 2003, 00:26
True - but one would assume (hope) that the web designer the Government employs knows how to correctly construct forms.

MarkD
5th Jun 2003, 02:04
There are two types of form - fillable and non-fillable. If the form was not designed as fillable - entirely possible - print it and hand write it I'm afraid.

Organisations such as Citizenship and Immigration Canada are currently transitioning from non-fillable to fillable, and usually "FILLABLE FORM" on the new ones.

Acrobat Reader 5 should allow you to fill out BUT not save the entered data.

For that you need Acrobat Approval [which I have and works well]. It allows you to fill in the boxes and save the form with the data inside so you can print it later. I have Approval - download from adobe.co.uk I think, large one though - and it works well.

Adobe Acrobat full version is a waste of dosh unless you are amending a form or creating new, remember even if you are allowed change the form HMG might spot the difference and refuse it!