PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi bloke building own cruise missile!

steamchicken
3rd Jun 2003, 22:00
It isn't exactly rocket science ...

Agencies
Tuesday June 3, 2003

An inventor from New Zealand who is building a cruise missile in his garage using parts bought over the internet has said you don't have to be a rocket scientist to construct your very own rocket.
Bruce Simpson says he is planning to post step-by-step instructions on his website describing how to make the jet-powered missile, which he claims would be able to fly the 60 miles (100 kilometres) between his home and Auckland in less than 15 minutes, the New Zealand Herald newspaper has reported. The missile could carry a small warhead weighing 22lbs, and Mr Simpson claimed the air force would have no way of stopping it.

Mr Simpson, a 49-year-old internet site developer, said that his missile project, which he says will cost around US$5,000 (£3,058), was intended to warn governments how easy it would be for terrorists to build one. "Obviously the goal of this website is not to provide terrorists or other nefarious types with the plans for a working cruise missile but to prove the point that nations need to be prepared for this type of sophisticated attack from within their own borders," Mr Simpson says on his site.

Mr Simpson has already bought a GPS system US$120 and a radio control flight pack (US$150) from eBay, both on his shopping lists of materials and components for the home-made missile.

A police spokeswoman declined to comment on whether they were investigating Mr Simpson's project, but said they were "now aware of the situation. It's not something we recommend people try at home," spokeswoman Rebecca Holt told the Associated Press.

The inventor said he is working toward a testing firing of the missile by mid-July. He expects to begin building the missile's body within days and has already built two prototype jet engines. He has approached the air force for permission to a carry out a test flight, and for them to oversee it. "It would be rather foolhardy to go ahead without some official involvement," he said. The target for the test flight "depends entirely on the air force", and may be "a buoy out at sea", he added.

Former US defence department analyst and terrorism expert Paul Buchanan said Mr Simpson may not be trying to encourage terrorism, but "might be facilitating it". If the missile worked, it would send a powerful message to authorities, he told the newspaper.

"It might alert them as to how darn easy it is to assemble this stuff," said Mr Buchanan, who lectures at Auckland University. Mr Simpson told the newspaper that his website had received 250,000 hits in two weeks.

He said he was alarmed at the ease with which he'd bought from overseas websites the parts needed to guide the missile, and import them into the country - passing local customs with ease.
"All this stuff is off the shelf," the Herald quoted him as saying. "It rang no alarm bells. You don't have to be a rocket scientist," he was quoted as saying.

The imported parts included a radio control transmitter and flight pack, global positioning gear, antennas and a flight control system. The website allows the public to view pictures and prices of the components, but for more information users must pay a subscription, which Mr Simpson says he plans to offer once the site is complete, to cover his costs.

The Herald said he has already tested several noisy jet engines on a bench in his garage, something his neighbours more than half a mile away could confirm.

Link to report (http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,969564,00.html)

Link to his website (http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/)

Is this you, BlueWolf, by any chance? I can see its potential as a replacement for the RNZAF Skyhawks...when the Fijian navy, Chinese fishermen, or whoever you reckon will invade NZ turn up, you'll be behind the garage hosing off polystyrene Storm Shads by the dozen with, I don't doubt, a copious supply of one of your country's fine West Coast ales (suitably chilled) to hand. Now that's what I call an in-credible strike capability. If necessary you could sling'em under Ms Clark's 757. Or use her as the warhead. I look forward to 274 (Missile) Sqn RNZAF's formation.

ScienceDoc
3rd Jun 2003, 23:15
well, you just have to love NZ. ;-)

Fox3snapshot
4th Jun 2003, 01:49
Wowzers.....great concept, only drama is the price of fuel in NZ which will be the most expensive part of the operation!

Solar power might be an option.....oh no, wait, its New Zealand... disregard!

:E

Flatus Veteranus
4th Jun 2003, 01:53
They are the Master Race, and one day they will rule the world. :)

solotk
4th Jun 2003, 05:07
BlueWolf is far too busy to answer us at this time, as he is , even as we speak, diligently tapping in the co-ordinates ,of a umm errrr "B*oody ,s*dding, communist les*ian enemy of the State" into the tempested GPS gizmo, that he has very kindly and genourously donated to this worthy project.

:E

Woff1965
4th Jun 2003, 09:15
I can't see any reason why an experienced model aircraft builder couldn't design and build the airframe.

The electronics are all available over the internet - it is basically cookbook engineering. The highest risk part, probably, is the propulsion - a ducted fan may have been just as good and lower risk (or even just a propellor).

Too be honest I am suprised this hasn't been done/tried before.

Although I remember a SF novel written in the 80's and set in the 90's that had a Afghan terrorist using swarms of similar devices to launch a counter-air strike on Soviet airfields to destroy Red TacAir as part of a campaign to liberate Afghanistan.

BlueWolf
4th Jun 2003, 14:03
Steamchicken, by any chance it isn't me, but thank you for the kind consideration....I can't get Granny Herald down here in the Deep South, so by a curious quirk of modern life your post here was the first I had heard of it!

Rest assured however that I will be contacting the good gentleman forthwith to offer assistance and targetting suggestions...a certain address in Mt Roskill, as referenced by solotk who has obviously read my mind;) would be a brilliant place to start:D

Perhaps we could sling Ms Clark under a 757, and use her as an air-launched target drone for the missile?

Samuel
4th Jun 2003, 14:09
Could I suggest a free-fall rather than a launch?:ok:

No one south of the Bombay Hills reads the Herald!

Lindstrim
4th Jun 2003, 17:07
Hey im south of the bombays and i read the herald! Serves her right for cancelling the F-16 order.

HectorusRex
4th Jun 2003, 18:49
How about sending Attila The Hen on a world cruise......as deck cargo on a USN Nuclear sub?:ok:

steamchicken
4th Jun 2003, 23:45
...but while yer at it, could you put one through the rooftop bar of Auckland Central Backpackers, Shortland St I think (just past Downtown Police Stn, anyway), because to the best of my knowledge I'm barred!

This (http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/images/kartflame4.mpg) is one of two video clips from another of his pulsejet projects...it is a crazy man, I tell you, senors, a crazy in the head!

[QUOTE]UPDATE: Road-tested With 100lbs-Thrust Engine!
Yes, I finally took the kart out for a spin with the 100lbs-thrust pulsejet engine -- here's what happened:

As I expected, pure thrust is not the best way to power a gokart -- at least not on roads like the ones around my place.

My "test track" consists of a gravel road where the straight sections are not flat and the flat sections are not straight. It's worth pointing out at this stage that I weigh about 170lbs and the kart weighs about 90lbs when ready-to-roll. This represents an all up total weight of about 260lbs (depending on how much I've just had to eat).

Now, with 100lbs of thrust, that gives me a 1:2.6 power to weight ratio. While this is significantly more than your average passenger plane -- it's not as high as a jet fighter and, more importantly, it means that if I encounter a slope of more than a 1 in 2.6 gradient -- the kart will begin to slow and eventually stop.

It's also worth pointing out that jet engines tend to become more efficient as their speed through the air increases. They work by propelling a narrow column of hot air at very high speeds. Think of it like top-gear in your car - plenty of speed but not much acceleration.

As a result of this, the jetkart feels quite sluggish when moving away from a standing start. You can feel a gentle push moving you along but it's certainly not a "kick in the pants."

However -- and this is the tricky bit -- it very much feels as if the faster you go, the harder the kart accelerates. Indeed -- once I got up to about 30 mph that gentle push had turned into quite a noticeable shove and the kart was gathering speed at quite a rate.

As I said though -- the roads around here are not built for speed so I had to limit my bursts of power to the short (100 yards) between the tight corners and big dips in the road.

Given the rather primitive brakes currently fitted to the kart, I expect you can imagine my adreneline levels at this point in time.

Just working from a "seat of the pants" feeling, I'd say that the kart is probably capable of well over 50-60 mph -- the limiting factor probably being the driver's ability to keep it going in a straight line and the lack of aerodynamics.

Yes -- I discovered that the steering on my kart is "very direct" which makes keeping it going in a straight line at 30 mph on a loose surface quite a challenge -- especially considering that I don't have a foot-operated throttle but rely on turning a knob on my gas-line. It takes three full turns go from idle to full power -- and that only leaves one hand free for steering so I expect you can imagine just how exciting the first test-drive really was.

Unfortunately there was nobody here to videotape the first run with the big pulsejet engine but I'll try to convince someone to stand around with a camera while it's running next time.

Another problem I encountered was that the aluminum strap I used to secure the tailpipe of the engine to the kart frame just melted away. I'll have to make a new one from steel.

Fuel economy? What's that?

The kart consumed 4Kgs (about 10 lbs) of LPG during the 3-4 minutes I spent on the first run. That's about $2-$3 a minute in fuel costs!

Now I'm going to get on with the turboshaft engine and fit that -- it should provide better fuel economy and stronger "off the line" acceleration.

Cypher
5th Jun 2003, 05:16
Woff1965,

Small scale turbojets are now avaliable for purchase... only thing you have to worry about is the fuel... Usually you find these engines around the model aircraft places.

You could easily 'bury' one of these in the airframe I reckon and also easily hide the exhaust. From what I've seen, they put out ****** all heat too some of them..

Anyone have any ideas how to counter a cruise missile threat? I suppose the obvious being shoot it down, but when it's speeding along at 400 ft AGL at 300-400 MPH, how serious are you going to be about actually scoring a hit?

Shutting down the GPS system might be another way, but from what I saw on his website, he's placing in a crude inertia guidance system...

Unless someone wants to give EMP a shot.... hmmm maybe I'll build one of those in my garage... Before you know it.. We kiwis will have our own burgeoning backyard defense industry... :ok:

West Coast
5th Jun 2003, 13:08
Gives a new dimension to the term cottage industry.

BlueWolf
5th Jun 2003, 16:50
I've just had a quick browse through our friends' website, and it set me to thinking about something which has crossed my mind before;

How difficult would it be to mass-produce cheap, simple devices such as this, and send swarms of them (amongst which would be hidden a real missile or two) in against high-value targets such as capital ships and land bases, the idea being to trigger - and overstretch - the missile defence systems of such assets?

With the right design features and the right chemicals in the exhaust, such a "dummy" could have a radar and spectroscopic signature sufficient to fool a missile defence system into thinking it was - or could be - the real thing, and with a reasonable guidance system and a useful sized warhead, even the dummy could pose a threat not to be ignored.

Imagine a hundred such dummy missiles ($500,000 all up), launched from a fishing boat or a Hercules, with one or two real Mavericks (or similar - $zillions each) to follow, fired at, say, an Aegis cruiser. Could high-tech overcome such an attack?

Just a thought.

Woff1965
5th Jun 2003, 22:19
On the other hand why not arm ALL the missiles. Launch them in a swarm at a defended target and watch it empty its magazines until it finally reaches the point where the missiles leak through the defences.

The explosives for the warhead are cheap. Its the electronics/airframe that are expensive.