PDA

View Full Version : First ever Joint Excercise

Gunship
3rd Jun 2003, 20:12
For the first time ever, the navy and air force will conduct a joint annual
combat preparation exercise, known as Operation Red Lion.

Members from the medical health services are also participating.

Nine ships, a submarine, fighter aircraft, helicopters and a transport
aircraft will exercise multi-threat scenarios to test their combat
capability.

The operation started yesterday and will continue until June 23. Combining
the two had many benefits, said navy Captain Tony Absolom.

To Join the SAAF news Group : [email protected]
:ok:

B Sousa
3rd Jun 2003, 23:56
Guns writes:" Nine ships, a submarine"
So Guns......And the object is to see if the number will remain the same as in six ships and four submarines??

Gunship
4th Jun 2003, 00:27
Hey I am just old by the number of African Posts ... uhmmm I will not display your birthdate here but tx for the call from America last night "old man". :8

So 6+3 =9 so 8 + 1 = 9 ?

uhmm let me try again .. 9-3 ... :confused:

B Sousa
4th Jun 2003, 14:16
Too much Tassies Guns. My point of humor was how many of the ships will get submerged before its over......

BAKELA
4th Jun 2003, 18:35
Guns,

This must be for the 'new' SANDF. There was a joint Navy/Air Force exercise in the mid-eighties off the St. Lucia coast. I remember it clearly as the SAAF lost an Impala due to engine failure over the sea. One pilot got out in time and unfortunately the other pilot did not. His body was found a couple of days later. I think the Impala's tail number was 464. :(

Bert, only too true. However sad it is, there was a SA Navy exercise plenty moons ago, two frigattes clobberred each other, with one sinking with half the SAAF's Westland Wasp fleet on board. :(

I can only assume the medical health services will be there for sea-sick pills for the Navy oaks.

Gunship
4th Jun 2003, 19:28
My point of humor was how many of the ships will get submerged before its over......

Sorry I think you missed mine as well Bert .. too many coins in La$ Vega$ .. :rolleyes:

Seriously oke's (this is not the CampFire) :uhoh:

Here was a reply on the SAAF Newsgroup ;

A brief look at the records for 1960 alone shows a fairly impressive line-up
for CAPEX:

SA: 10th Frigate Sqn - SAS Vrystaat, SAS Transvaal, SAS Good Hope
147 Minesweeping Sqn - SAS Mosselbaai, SAS Walvisbaai, SAS
Oosterland
Aircraft included Shackletons, Dakotas and Vampires

Other navies participating included British, United States, French,
Portuguese & Nigerian proving another six ships to those listed above as
well as 2 submarines. Other aircraft included RAF Coastal Command
Shackletons & French Marlin Flying boats. If I'm not mistaken the Marlins
put down on Langebaan lagoon, & the event was actually covered in the
newspapers of the day.

B Sousa
4th Jun 2003, 22:42
Bakella writes:"I can only assume the medical health services will be there for sea-sick pills for the Navy oaks."

Based on the latest SA Statistics that have been published, they are probably necessary to dispense AIDS medication......
It gets harder for me to sit without getting upset when I see what I remember as such a fine Military. turning into something that would probably cut and run and the first sound of gunshots. Those whom I have met, who served in days gone by, are some of the most courageous fighting men on earth. The ONLY reason they were not victorious is do to Political heads up the A55 of many countries (mine included)
I have seen them then and now. my comparison would probably Cause 4HP to ban me from the site........
Almost time for this to get relagated to the Campfire.

Deanw
5th Jun 2003, 00:34
Following on from Bert, there were some less than complemetary comments about the tactics/abilities of our military during our incursion/invasion of Lesotho :sad:

Gunship
5th Jun 2003, 03:32
My news lately get "CAMPFIRE treatment" :E