PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Log on to the Net

argyle
3rd Jun 2003, 17:01
Help,

I have a HP desktop running Xp. The problem that has occurred is that when I try to log on to the internet an error message informs me that there is no dialing tone from the modem and to check the connection.

Steps I have taken:-
Checked telephone wall connection ok
Purchased new connection from wall to computer telephone plug
Run diagnostic on internal modem ok

Anymore ideas ?

DX Wombat
3rd Jun 2003, 17:06
I had that problem once but found I had plugged the phone socket to modem cable into the LAN socket on the modem instead of the phone one. :(:O

amanoffewwords
3rd Jun 2003, 17:30
Have you tried removing the driver, rebooting and letting XP re-install it?

Tonic Please
5th Jun 2003, 01:24
Let me know if this helps you...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326681

Smooth skies,

Dan

Rugz
6th Jun 2003, 07:57
There is a problem with XP and modems. XP does like like the modem being connected in a particular sort (slot 1 I think, but can't remember). Physically switch the modem with another card and you should be up and running.

Had this happen with ever XP machine so far.

Tonic Please
6th Jun 2003, 16:33
rugz...10, 266 posts? registered last year? I am very interested to know how yuo managed that ???!! :confused:
:eek:

Anyway, did my link help?

Dan

Rugz
6th Jun 2003, 19:20
Now that would be telling, wouldn't it :E

It's only an average of about 34 posts a day.

Tonic Please
6th Jun 2003, 19:33
Yes, it would be telling. I was reading some posts in JB, and I learnt that its going on quite a lot. So, i think I am understanding the phenominan now ;)

Lurk R
7th Jun 2003, 20:16
Ages ago I had problems getting the modem to recognise dialtone. After speaking with ISP support they got me to add the following to Advanced Connection Properties in the Modem section of the Internet Options on tool menu.

at+ms=v34,1,2400,9600

Did the trick.