PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

Blue Rotor Ronin
3rd Jun 2003, 08:53
Hyperthetical question........I've got a score on this.
Can you retain a CPL/ATPL with only one kidney?
Any ideas chaps and chapesses? I'm waiting to collect!:ok:

Ascend Charlie
3rd Jun 2003, 09:30
In Oz you can keep your CPL with one kidney.

Watchoutbelow
3rd Jun 2003, 11:53
I certainly hope so, Infact i am relying on it in order to fund my instrument rating!!

212man
3rd Jun 2003, 16:23
In the UK it would be with the limitation of "as or with co-pilot".

I assume it would also be case specific too.

I believe one of our (now retired) pilots was the first to achieve this in the UK rotary world. There were also some operational constraints attached too.

topcat450
3rd Jun 2003, 16:34
What about the EMS flights in the uk?

Could you fly with one kidney inside you...and another in a box in the back? Wouldn't this count as flying with 2 kidneys :}

RobboRider
3rd Jun 2003, 19:33
Curiosity has the better of me.

Why on earth would having only one kidney make any difference to holding a CPL or ATPL. Single kidney'd people live totally normal lives. I mean single healthy kidney.

I regularly treat single kidney'd people in my joband look at their test results and you can't tell from anything except the scar (if it was removed) that they only have 1 kidney. You can not tell at all if they were born with only one kidney. You have to do scans of various sorts.

Even whole 2 kidney'd people can have one of them not work well and you may never know.

Having only one kidney doesn't have any increased risk of kidney failure overall or at least not failing suddenly so as to affect a flight. If you get renal failure (just as 2 kidney'd people do) the effects are relatively slow onset.

In case your wondering about the soap-box sounding statement - No, I'm not a single kidney man but I'm missing something about the UK rules.
Any enlightenment?

Say again s l o w l y
3rd Jun 2003, 19:50
Your post makes sense Robbo rider.

Unfortunately since when does being sensible afflict any of the licensing bodies!?:mad:

212man
4th Jun 2003, 00:25
Topcat,
yes, that sounds about right, but avoid Lincolnshire or they'll have you for speeding!!

Blue Rotor Ronin
4th Jun 2003, 06:39
Cheers chaps, that's earned me a twenty...........:ok:

Skycop9
4th Jun 2003, 09:27
I know of a pilot who just lost a kidney to cancer. The FAA will revoke his medical. Not because of the kidney but because of the medication he has to be on after the surgery.

sycop9