PDA

View Full Version : Spain: No thanks to Ukraine planes

Warlock2000
3rd Jun 2003, 00:43
MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Spain has temporarily suspended transport planes from the former communist bloc transporting its troops following the death of 62 of its peacekeepers aboard a Ukrainian plane last month.

Your thoughts...?

Konkordski
3rd Jun 2003, 01:04
I think you have to ask why Spain went with a small, relatively unheard-of Ukrainian Yak operator in the first place.

It wasn't for the prestige, I'll bet.

Maybe the Spanish did a thorough assessment and thought that hauling its troops to and from Kabul this way was the safest and most efficient.

Then again, they might have just gone for the cheap option. And maybe they're now learning the hard way that safety is never as expensive as an accident.

Given that the Ukrainian investigation has already highlighted queries about potential breaches of operating regulations by the carriers, I suspect that there's not going to be any shortage of blame on both sides.

In the meantime it will be the genuinely safe and respectable outfits from Ukraine which lose out.

BlueWolf
3rd Jun 2003, 16:36
Hard to say without all the facts.

Could be it was something to do with the institutionalised incompetence of the former Eastern Bloc, or maybe a dodgy operator who got the contract because they were the cheapest.

But then again, sometimes, with all the resources and the best will in the world, planes crash.

Thoughts are with the families; will be intrigued to see the outcomes of the various inquiries.