PDA

View Full Version : Trenchard Museum, RAF Halton

newswatcher
2nd Jun 2003, 23:13
Not sure if this should be posted in "Aviation History & Nostalgia", but here goes.

Visited RAF Halton yesterday, with my father who was an apprentice airframe fitter back on 36th entry('37-'39). Took the opportunity to visit the Trenchard Museum. Absolutely fascinating!

Many of the exhibits have been "loaned" by ex-apprentices, including my father. Very impressed with some of the "home-made" tools. Lots of excellent photos, including John Cunningham landing a Comet on the Halton airfield in 1959(?). Also the Lincoln which caught fire after an engine "ground run" session.

Can recommend it to anyone who happens to be in the area.The museum opens for recruit passing out parades and on request to the HAAA office on 01296 623535 Ext 6300.

Afterwards, can recommend the "Rising Sun" at Little Hampden, definitely worth the effort of trying to find it! :ok: http://www.rising-sun.demon.co.uk

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Jun 2003, 00:12
Is that why a Spit (?) did an absolutely awesome flypast at Halton yesterday. I only heard it (definately Merlin/Griffon) but Mrs Pulfrew said it looked fantastic - praise indeed.:ok: :ok: :ok:

newswatcher
3rd Jun 2003, 16:52
Thanks for that RF. Didn't see that flight myself, must have been after we left at 13:00hrs. Sunday's occasion was dedication of some stained glass windows in the chapel, for RAF musicians.

HectorusRex
3rd Jun 2003, 18:31
That's where I used to collect 3 half crowns(7/6d) every Wednesday, before sports afternoon, after signing for same, and saluting into the bargain!
Talk about "the King's Shilling".

I think the aircraft destroyed by a ground fire was a Lancaster, which was then replaced by a Lincoln which was delivered by a lady pilot ex ATA.
:ok:

newswatcher
3rd Jun 2003, 19:57
HR, at the risk of veering even further into the realms of "Aviation History and Nostalgia", I think the "Lincoln" was technically a "Lancaster Mk IV" and, in turn, spawned the Shackleton.

In fact a Lincoln has the unenviable record of being the only RAF aircraft to be shot down by the Russians. On 12th March 1953, RF531 was shot down by two Mig 15s, whilst flying the "corridor" from Hamburg to Berlin. It has often been said that the only three crew to parachute, were further strafed on their way down. :mad:

HectorusRex
4th Jun 2003, 19:00
Thanks for the "heads up" nw!
You could possibly also have added that the combination of the Shackleberry's wing, together with a couple of spare Meatbox rear fuselages resulted in the "Whistling Wheelbarrow":D