PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Speed in MS Word

Binoculars
2nd Jun 2003, 20:05
A search didn't turn up anything, but I do remember asking about this before, and the answers I got, while helpfully pointing me towards different ways of doing it, didn't answer my question, so I'll try again.

You are in a long Word document, and you want to select an amount of text. Not a sentence, not a paragraph, but an amount covering say a couple of pages. So you click at the beginning and holding down the mouse button drag through to the end of the text you want selected. Easy. Except that for some reason once you get past the bottom of the current page, the scroll speed increases to the point where it is impossible to see where you are, two or three pages a second. I have tried everywhere to look for an option that slows it down, but I am forced to come before the assembled wisdom to ask if anybody knows the answer.

The answer doesn't appear to be in the mouse settings, because the scroll speed is fine in this box as I type for example, so I assume it is Word. I have Office 97.

Once again, I'm aware of the different ways of achieving the same objective, so it's not a crucially important question, more a matter of curiosity now.

CBLong
2nd Jun 2003, 21:43
I haven't looked for the previous thread, so apologies if I'm going over old ground, but try this (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Developer/Applications/MS_Office/Q_20123338.html) .

I would guess that MS decided that there are enough alternatives to the "high-speed scrolling while selecting" problem and therefore didn't bother to provide a fix for it...

HTH!

cbl

Binoculars
2nd Jun 2003, 22:14
Thanks CBLong, it looks as though the chap asking the question there got the same response as me; do it this way instead!

As I said, just a matter of curiosity, because I used to be able to scroll down at a leisurely pace, and was surprised when one day it didn't happen that way anymore. I have no idea what the catalyst for change was, maybe even a new computer with an increase in processor speed? Who knows?

amanoffewwords
3rd Jun 2003, 00:26
You should be able to control the speed of the scroll by the position of the mouse pointer.

The lower it is on the screen the faster the scroll is - and vice-versa if you scrolling upwards.

If you hover somewhere around the name of the bottom status bar or just above the ruler bar at the top you should get a fairly medium scroll as opposed to the rocket-ship effect you get from being at the edge of the screen.

Works for me anyway

amanoffewwords
3rd Jun 2003, 14:57
I find that strange TCS - I've been using the method I described for years now - currently on Win XP/Office 2000 but I know it works the same on Win 98/Windows 2000 with either Office 2000 or 97. The type of mouse also doesn't seem to matter - currently using a logitech trackman but I know it works with other cordless or corded mice.

I can only presume the feature is dependent on the mouse driver/software. Maybe the Intellipoint program or equivalent? :confused:

Or maybe I AM the privileged one? :cool:

Ausatco
3rd Jun 2003, 22:05
I think I replied to you on this last time. It seems to be a common problem - I've seen it posted on other sites, mags, in newspaper Help columns, etc. I described the work-around that TCS posted, which I got from a newspaper IT supplement. I have not seen a proper fix.

Having said that, I just found this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269230) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, regarding Word 97.

Hope it helps

Edited to add:

I just tried Method 2 from the above article. Why didn't anyone tell me about it before?:mad:

AA

Binoculars
5th Jun 2003, 18:05
Thank you all for your assistance. I too couldn't get manoffewwords' suggestion to work. Ausatco's link would seem to indicate it is a problem with Word97 and became noticeable when I upgraded my processor. But I'm with Ausatco completely now re Method 2 in that link. Amazing how many great things are just THERE that we don't know about.

Thanks again, including you TCS, sorry if it seemed I was jumping on you. ;)