PDA

View Full Version : Raf-faa-aac

johnny canuck
2nd Jun 2003, 13:52
Hello
I'm a Canadian/U.K. citizen bored of civilian flying. I want to get onto something that shoots. Was a WOII in the cadets
Glider Pilot @ 16, PPL @17 ,Commercial [Bush ,Arctic] @19.
I'm 23 with 1900 hrs. 800 multi PIC. [all Fixed Wing]
Currently flying single pilot IFR on a Navajo.

Just wondering if I'm eligable for the RAF, Army Air Corp, and Fleet Air Arm ? Also which would you recomend and WHY ??

Cheers

SunderlandMatt
2nd Jun 2003, 18:25
JC,

I wouldn't imagine it being a problem. Usually with the RAF you have to enter IOT by the time you are 23.5, I which case I suggest you contact them and ask if that applies to you. It may not as you already have more hours than most Lt Flts.

With all the multi time you've got I'd say the RAF would suit you best, unless you fancy your hand at a Harrier or the chopper. ;)
Only trouble is, a VC10 doesn't shoot! I'd imagine the RAF would try and stream you onto Multis rather than retrain you onto FJ or Rotary.

Good luck with it. I doub't you'll have too much trouble :ok:

NigelOnDraft
2nd Jun 2003, 20:33
<<I'd imagine the RAF would try and stream you onto Multis rather than retrain you onto FJ or Rotary.>>
Unless the RAF have recently got very flexible, no matter how many hours / types you have, you might get a shortened basic flying training course (say 70 hours instead of 100). And that's it... all else the same whether or not you've ever seen an aircraft before or not...

NoD

Obs cop
2nd Jun 2003, 20:48
The Fleet Air Arm will accept pilot recruits up to 26 years of age. Dunno about the Army. With the Arm Air Corps. you are a soldier first though, including a period of time as an infantry unit officer prior to the start of flying training (I believe).

Personally I would go for FAA, but then I am biased!

Just check through the RAF/Royal Navy/Army web sites concerning nationaility requirements.

Sorry mate, to clarofy the above, a guy I joined with had dual Nationality Denmark/UK and had to make some sort of special appeal to join. Got in though.