PDA

View Full Version : CFI's: an exciting exercise for hi-time f/w pilot flight review

pa42
2nd Jun 2003, 00:10
Try this, let me know how useful you find it!

High-time f/w pilot, rated rotary, doing USA flight review for FAR's.

Get him in the air, do whatever you normally do. Before returning to base, sometime, ask him for a steep turn.

Be Ready! most helicopter pilots see only 30 degree banks in training (angle of bank usually not being specified, but certainly no emphasis placed getting seriously steep, or even on using the word "steep"), while F/W Commercial steep turn is always 60 degree bank, Private is always 45 degrees. So f/w pilots customarily add Lots of Pedal (virtually the definition of "coordination" in the f/w world). (And on top of that, in flying Gliders, the long wing takes 100% rudder pedal to roll into the steep turn!) They also more often than not maintain altitude with Pitch, not power.

So it may be that Negative Transfer will rear its ugly head, and he won't be able to resist adding a lot of pedal along with aft cyclic!

(I caught myself doing that; a result in part of garnering a state distance record in gliders. Have never seen it mentioned in rotary flight manuals. Your experience?)
========
And a question for CFI's: why is it that the steep turn is not part of USA helicopter training? Even the U. S. Army (as represented in FAA's Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, 8083-21) has no steep turn (except, ROFL, in the Gyroplane section!!). [Not until you explore the Kiwi view of reality--upside-down as they are--do you find a description of the steep turn "45 degrees or more," bank angle limited only by surplus power available, conducted at V-endurance. (Wagtendonk, 1996, ASA version, p. 121) (V-e being, by the way, a number not even required by FAA in helicopter flight manuals! But probably very close to Vy, best rate of climb.) ].

And if it were part of USA training program, would you expect the student to do minimum-radius turns, per Wagtendonk, at Different Bank Angles at different altitudes because of variable surplus-power-available? Hello, out there, has anybody heard this mentioned in a high-density-altitude course? I assure you, the f/w community is not even faintly aware of this issue! And I'll wager you could ask every Northern Hemisphere helicopter pilot you ever meet and get a blank look, followed by the question: "What are you on, mate?" (as if any N. H. pilots used Enunciated Punctuation in their sentences . . . sorry, just back from extended stay in OZ, having trouble with getting back into USA-colonial-English)

Aesir
2nd Jun 2003, 06:40
This is why after over 2200 hours as instructor, I am always much more nervous with F/W rated students than "no prior experience" people.
I hate that push the pedal in turns, forward stick (cyclic) when engine fails (its a rotor RRPM warning NOT stall warning horn!!!), aft stick (I told you its called a CYCLIC in a helicopter arghh.. ) just before landing in touchdown auto´s. Look outside to estimate speed below 30 kts (the ASI is useless), look at the fine red string instead of the stupid useless ball in the turn coordinator ( we are much heavier on the R/H side anyway and of course the ball is gonna show us out of trim) and please slow down when below 200´agl on approach so we dont arrive over landing spot still doing 50 kts IAS.

Well, but remember fixed wing pilots are people too...

I´m not this impatient in the air... No really.... and please excuse any spelling errors, I´m already on my third Gin & Tonic :ouch:

Blue Rotor Ronin
2nd Jun 2003, 08:12
Sorry pa42, fell asleep until **** er donk (German obviously).. if thats what it takes to keep plank trained pilots in the air so be it.:ok:

Shawn Coyle
4th Jun 2003, 05:02
The US Army considers anything over 60 degrees of bank, or 30 degrees of pitch to be aerobatics, and is therefore prohibited. May explain why people don't do that in civil helicopters as well.
Surprising how many helicopters also don't require any pedal when rolling into and out of turns.
Other comments about the slip ball beign useless below 50 knots well appreciated!

RW-1
4th Jun 2003, 23:59
I've cranked nearly that doing some 180 autos here and there, where I needed to steepen the bank, havent others?