PDA

View Full Version : SA Airlink for sale?

ronster
2nd Jun 2003, 00:06
Heard the RUMOUR yesterday that SA Airlink is for sale.
Is this true?

:confused:

BAKELA
4th Jun 2003, 17:00
Haven't seen any "FOR SALE" signs yet. Don't think it holds much water. Sounds like somebody is stirring.:E Maybe at SA Express to try and divert attention from their CEO debacle! Who knows?

Gunship
4th Jun 2003, 18:59
... all looks fine ... but then a web site can be a set-up ?

South African Airlink has ordered 30 Embraer jets valued at more than R2.5 billion from Brazil and has the option of extending the order by another 40. To view the specs on the aircraft please click on the image of the ERJ 135.

South African Airlink’s R640 million fleet of sixteen Jetstream 41 aircraft is now the third biggest Jetstream 41 fleet in the world!

South African Airlink operates 16 Jetstream 41 aircraft.

There are also a NEWSFLASH that reads ...

We have ordered new Jets to be added to ...

Really hope they "make" it as I know a lot of happy pax that fly with them. :ok:

Cheers,

Gunns

BAKELA
4th Jun 2003, 19:24
Guns, I reckon the website is fairly on track. Have it reliably that Airlink is flying more than ever before and that the Embraer deliveries have been slowed down (they have five now) due to the economic climate.

I honestly think this is just a case of the Airlink/SAX merger rumours (of which this forum is full) blowing hot again.

PAXboy
4th Jun 2003, 21:54
This story surfaces every few months, along with the Link/SAX merger and the Link/SAX/SAA merger. You could make a list of the variables for purchase/buy-out/go-broke of all three and then just tick them off when they surface.

One month, SAX is the one talked about as being in trouble and the next month it is Link. SAA is, of course, constantly in trouble. :E

South Africa probably has too many regionals for the long term and some merging will take place. But, as the market is still quite young, that may be a few years off. But, in this rapidly changing world, all bets are off. Particularly if the deflation that is now extant in 1st world countries continues for long, my quess is that it will. But please ignore what I say as I am neither in economics or the airline biz!

<snaps fingers> "Hey, Hostie!" <whistles between his fingers> "Bring us another brandy and coke!"

WildFrequency
5th Jun 2003, 15:59
There are definately no "FOR SALE" signs on the doors, the airline has made a good improvment from their situtaion last year when a number of crew got furloughed. We have been employing a number of crew , both EMB and J41 since January this year, about 15 or so new pilots. All furloughed crew had the option to return to the company. The further delivery of EMB is on hold, when the next one arrives is anybodys guess!

BAKELA
5th Jun 2003, 23:38
WF, We have been employing a number of crew , both EMB and J41 Obviously you are with Airlink.:ok: Come on boet, give us the hotties!:suspect:

Gunship
6th Jun 2003, 03:08
.. specualate fursther then WILD FREQUENCY .. I Pressume you fly the Ct - PE route? Are you guys flying a CT - Upington route perhaps.

Perhaps I should just check on the web site - but then WF's identity will not be revealed BAKELA :D

KASAC 7
8th Jun 2003, 03:48
Hi Wild Frequency

Any idea what experience level the 15 new guys were? What does a new FO earn with Link these days? Heard rumours that entry salary had been reduced?!

WildFrequency
8th Jun 2003, 15:39
KASAC 7,

All pilot salaries scales have been reviewed and they have definitely increased! The increases are reasonable considering that Airlink was in a fianancial "dwang" last year. Obviously the pilots are not earning SAA type salaries, but then Airlink does not have access to the mighty government cheque book!!

On the experience level, the new chaps generally all have turbine time of some form or other, not always twin turbine time though. Some have CPL's, others have ATP's. Total times varying between 1000 - 2500 hours and background experience mainly contract/charter flying. I apologise for not been able to give you the exact entry requirments for either of the two fleets (EMB and J41), but that has become an ever changing goalpost.

Possible interviews in June/July again, but that could be office rumours! Send me a private maessage if you guys would like the contact details for CV's.

KASAC 7
10th Jun 2003, 03:29
Thanks!!

The info helps as I am currently in that bracket of experience. My only concern is can I afford to support a family in Jo'burg on the salary offered?

I guess there is only one way to find out?!

BAKELA
11th Jun 2003, 18:10
Guns, according to SAA's timetable Airlink flies CT-UT, CT-PE, CT-SUN CITY, CT-HOEDSPRUIT, CT-GG, CT-KM, CT-PRIMKOP and (I think) a couple of other routes out of Slaapstad.

WildFrequency, thanks for the PM.

Gunship
11th Jun 2003, 18:29
KASAC 7 :

My only concern is can I afford to support a family in Jo'burg on the salary offered?

I guess there is only one way to find out?!

Kasac, that is the way to do it mate ! Find out yourself and I am sure things will work for you !

Sure WF and BAKELA will excuse me for this but Airlink and SAX is 90% of the time a jump to a "bigger airline".

Pay is not the best, but great hours - nice aircraft to fly as a "starter". Or am I wrong ?

Welcome "back" BAKELA ! Tx forthe info mate ;)

Uhm what is PRIMKOP ? I remeber a PRAMKOP in SWA ? :E

George Tower
11th Jun 2003, 19:09
Reason I ask is that my best mate's Dad is a TRE on the J41 at BAE Woodford (Manchester). BAE are in pretty big problems from what I hear. The largest American operator of the J41 has apparently cancelled their lease agreement with BAE and BAE are to collect them all. Apparently BAE even offered them for free (just a maintenance contract) but the operator refused.

So bearing this in mind I'd be interested to know how the J41 is liked by crew and pax? And whether it is more profitable to operate than the ERJs they are now flying.

BAKELA
11th Jun 2003, 19:54
Guns, it's lekker to be back, thanks. From what I hear the guys at Airlink enjoy both the J41's and, off course, the ERJ135's tremendously. I won't elaborate on what has been fought before on this forum (performance differences between the J41 & Dash 8 and the ERJ135 & CRJ200) as we all know that the J41 and the ERJ135 are superior in performance. :E The Canadian machines were built for snow and ice and minus temps - not for Africa (they may also be able to operate in Belgium I believe - are you reading Mr. Vandemr?:E). Bottom line here is - only good stuff works in Africa. :}

Primkop is the new Nelspruit - called Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport. About 30 clicks north of Nellies.

I don't think Airlink is the jumping post for bigger airlines but they do lose the odd pilot here and there to SAA, Comair and Nationwide. This of course excludes the cadet scheme.

GT, I don't know what the plans for the J41's are but they must be getting long in the tooth now. I reckon a big drawback for the J41 was when BAe (?) imposed a reduced performance restriction on the aircraft after corrosion problems surfaced with the propellor blades. Only new blades can operate 'unrestricted' or something like that. With the limited production run of the J41 (104 aircraft?) the prop manufacturer has no further interest, so more and more J41's world-wide will become performance restricted in future. Maybe that's why the American operator opted out of their lease agreement.

I'm not a bean counter so cannot comment on differences in profitability between the two types. What I do know is that the ERJ is supposed to operate to a totally different profile than the J41. The J41 is essentially a short sector (I was told 1 hour or so is optimal) aircraft whereas the ERJ135 is for medium sector routes.

Cheers vir eers.

vrottels
12th Jun 2003, 14:28
Dumela BAKELA,

I gather from all your passed mail that you are a J41 driver just upgraded to the ERJ 135 & still trying to cope with the “New Jet Hard On” Experience.

You must be careful …..with most of the blood drawn from your top storey, one Is bound to make a fool out of yourself from time to time.

I would like to give you some pointers regarding the SAX Canadian Aircraft that was not build for AFRICA.

The Canadian Aircraft that SAX use do a Average of 3000 hrs per year each.
The Canadian Aircraft that SAX use operate at a technical dispatch reliable factor of 97%.
The Canadian Aircraft that SAX use can carry 50 pax & are heavier, maybe that Is why the climb performance can not match your ERJ & J 41.

“Not bad for a Aircraft that were not build for AFRICA”

PS: I wonder If SAX did not give Airlink all the routes, If you oke’s would still be operating?
I also wonder why the Major share holder wants to sell his share in Airlink?

Vrottels

BAKELA
12th Jun 2003, 18:56
Kunjani Vrottels,

Couldn't be more wrong boet. :cool: I'm not a J41 or ERJ driver but happen to know al four types mentioned quite well. By the way, welcome to PPrune bru. :ok: Nice meeting you.

From my post I I won't elaborate on what has been fought before on this forum (performance differences between the J41 & Dash 8 and the ERJ135 & CRJ200) as we all know that the J41 and the ERJ135 are superior in performance. :E The Canadian machines were built for snow and ice and minus temps - not for Africa

Obviously my evil ;) comments spurred you into a reply. Bakgat man, that's what I wanted. There's far too few guys from SAX on here and it seems like there's quite a few Airlink guys around PPrune. But I won't continue the argument about performance - there's been too many posts already on the topic. :zzz: Although, I must say, I've flown in all four types mentioned and the ERJ does seem to give one a lack of blood in the upper regions. Nice machine. :ok:

Not being a driver at Airlink I cannot comment on the routes you say that SAX gave to Airlink, nor can I comment on the shareholder you refer to. Who is the "Major shareholder" in Airlink anyway?:confused:

Salagahlč
BAKELA

SHARALUMI
12th Jun 2003, 19:33
Vrottels, & are heavier, maybe that Is why the climb performance can not match your ERJ & J 41. Now that explains to me why a Cessna 150 outclimbs a C130!!! :} :} :}

The Claw
13th Jun 2003, 00:43
Vrottels,

Who gave who the routes??

Maybe if SAX chose aircraft they could afford, they wouldn't be in the dwang today! :rolleyes: Hardly an example of a success story? :confused:

WildFrequency
13th Jun 2003, 01:38
I'll play neutral here, SAX gave Airlink routes for 6 months, the routes been:-

1) Cape Town - Sun City - Cape Town
2) Cape Town - Hoedspruit - Cape Town
3) Cape Town - Port Elizabeth - Cape Town
4) Cape Town - Port Elizabeth - Durban - Cape Town (SAA route I believe)
5) Durban - East London - Durban

In turn SAX has taken two DASH8 to Tanzania to fly regional routes there, I guess its got to do with the SAA/Air Tanzania deal, SAA owns a BIG share of Air Tanzania now! What happens at the end of this contract, I do not know.

The Claw
13th Jun 2003, 03:19
If you look at the history of these two carriers you'll see that nobody "gave" either carrier any routes. They have a mutual arrangement and it normally comes at a "price". :E

WildFrequency
13th Jun 2003, 04:24
The Claw,

If my post is re-read, I posted 6 months for the SAX routes and what happens thereafter is guesswork. I agree, there is a lot of politics with the routes "given"!

vrottels
13th Jun 2003, 13:49
Someone whispered something in my ear, that SAX will be replacing the 2x DASH 8’s operating In Tanzania with 2 x CRJ’s to pick up their local routes again lost to Airlink.

I also heard that the 2 x Tanzania DASH 8’s will be joined with 2 more DASH 8’s soon.

So do not rub your hands to hard….” Claw & Baleka” the hair on your palms will wear off. :*

Its going to be much better now at SAX with SAA steering the ship…..you Airlink ou’s should climb on board man.

….at a price of course! :ok:

“SENIORITY you know”

You will have to slot In under the SAX pilots

BAKELA
13th Jun 2003, 14:06
Kunjani Vrottels,

SAX will be replacing the 2x DASH 8’s operating In Tanzania with 2 x CRJ’s to pick up their local routes again lost to Airlink.

I also heard that the 2 x Tanzania DASH 8’s will be joined with 2 more DASH 8’s soon. First the routes were given, now they were lost. :confused: Then you will replace the Dash 8's with CRJ's, then you will add two more to the two already in Tanzania. :confused: Its going to be much better now at SAX with SAA steering the ship Seems to me the ship is even more off course already...may already be the influence of SAA. :suspect:Contradictions rule it seems. Uncertainty...no let me shut up.:E

By the way, SHARALUMI seems to have a point based on your theory regarding the weight differences causing performance differences. :hmm: Care to elaborate on your theory?:}

Salagahlč
BAKELA

The Claw
13th Jun 2003, 15:06
"Its going to be much better now at SAX with SAA steering the ship"

With JvJ at the helm, I think I'll stay on the shore! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

George Tower
13th Jun 2003, 15:50
A few questions for you guys out there in the know. What ever happened to the FACT- Eros services that Airlink made work so well they put on extra flights? Is Eros now closed and if so what happened to the service between Windhoek and Cape Town?

Secondly if I recall Link took this route from SAX - given that eros has an elevation of 5575ft AMSL and has field length of <2000m, performance issues must have really been important in such high density altitude conditions.

The Embraer website gives a take off field length of 1770m (ISA, SL, MTOW). So how did Airlink and SAX go on when they flew out of Eros?

BAKELA
13th Jun 2003, 16:16
Kunjani GT,

Eros was closed by the Namibian government earlier this year. I still believe it was a set-up between SAA & Air Namibia to get the Eros pax into Hosea Kutako. Both SAX and Airlink did well while operating into Eros as pax obviously avoided the mountainous 80 km odd drive to Hosea. SAX was supposed to fly the Cape-Town - Hosea route from 1 April 2003. They most probably 'dumped' it like other routes I'm aware of (Jo'burg-Livingstone, Durban-Maputo - both long ago but they have a history for doing it;) ). :ooh:

We need a CRJ and ERJ driver here for the performances. However, the info I have is that the ERJ135 had no restrictions (37 pax - full load) on RWY 01, and took a slight penalty on RWY 19 only when IFR conditions existed (obstacle clearance limitations).

The CRJ200 I think was limited to 25 pax (50% load!) max on RWY 01 and could not operate on RWY 19 at all. I hope this reply and your questions gets the guys on here.

Wild Frequency?

Salagahlč
BAKELA

vrottels
13th Jun 2003, 16:56
Bakela,

Unfortunately this forum does not allow me to draw pictures.
Is It really so hard to understand the language.....Just read It slower this time.....OK OK I should have kept It simpler for you Airlink ous!

vrottels

BAKELA
13th Jun 2003, 17:17
Vrottels,

How nice for post number 250 for me to say:

"I just love it when a plan comes together.":suspect: :} :p :ok:

vrottels
13th Jun 2003, 17:45
Hi Claw,

The new CEO is going to be, Richard Forson from SAA?
Eff 1 June 2003

Don't now this old chap at all?

Vrottels

WildFrequency
16th Jun 2003, 16:56
The Cape Town - Eros route was operated by SA Airlink on behalf of SAX for a number of months, the flight number was a SAX number as was the callsign. Ironically even though the ERJ's regularly flew full there was very little money made by Airlink, the profits went back to SAX/SAA - sort of flying for free I guess.

Peformance....Airlinks ERJ's are 135's with 145 engines, it is an overpowered machine. Out of Johannesburg the WAT limit becomes a problem when the temperature enters the mid thirty degree area! The aircraft climbs direct to FL370 whatever its weight! Airlink, on previous threads, has been accused of "cheating" the performance figures before, both on the J41 and ERJ. This is obsurd, the performance program is factory written, the data entered is correct, you can double check the runway/airfield data entered on the performance figures if you think someone added a few metres to the runway!

Vrottels, do you know what the pax loads are like in Tanzania at the moment? Curious to know.

vrottels
18th Jun 2003, 23:21
Haven't got a clue, but asume that the prospect looks good.
Therefore the demand for 2 x more Dash 8's.
I am a bit out of touch with those sort of figures.vrottels

BAKELA
24th Jun 2003, 17:47
Kunjani SAXers & Linkers,

Go outa town for a week and the place gets quiet. :suspect:

Vrottels, glad to hear it's going okay in Tanzania. I've heard that the loads are picking up very good therefor the need for the additional aircraft. Don't have specific figures though but it seems the plan of replacing the J41 with the DH8's is paying off.

WildFrequency, I was told that the same as seemingly happened on CT - Eros is happening on the CT - Sun City and CT - Hoekoesspruit routes that Airlink is now flying. Good loads but zip revenue! Plenty pax apparently were given freebies by SAX loooong ago. :}

I'm hearing vibes about the merger again. Where are all you guys with the hot info? :confused: Apparently it could be fairly close.

Shala Gashle
Bakela

WildFrequency
26th Jun 2003, 01:26
Yip rather quite here Bakela,

I cannot deny or confirm (that’s because I honestly don’t know) the revenue issue on any of the “new” SAX routes flown by Airlink. Will scratch around a bit and see what dirty washing I uncover.

Mergers again, this rumour always raises its head again around the same-time every year, appears to coincide with Airlink salary negotiating time. Quite frankly would rather work for SA Airlink than SAX, sorry Vrottels, never wanted to be a government employee!

BAKELA
26th Jun 2003, 20:28
WF,

Welcome back - it was getting awfully lonely here. I fully agree with you, will definately not like to work for SAX. The same as SAA as I see it. :suspect:

Merger and the salary negotiations at Airlink - never connected the two. Have been told that there's more happening as well at Airlink. But maybe we should wait that one of the Airlink heavies gets on here to give us the white hot gen. Come on guys, give us the hotties.

clipboard
26th Jun 2003, 20:53
Watch the press for details guys. There will be NO merger whatsoever. Neither SAX nor Airlink are doing very well. Both are running huge losses. That at least, the bosses confirmed at a recent board meeting.

SAX will be swallowed up by SAA, and Airlink will continue to function for political reasons. Watch this space carefully. There are major developments on the cards.

George Tower
27th Jun 2003, 01:59
Why are neither of these carriers making a profit?. Firstly most of their routes are not subject to competition either from other carriers or from other forms of transport i.e. (in the UK Virgin trains hope to compete with the airlines for the domestic business market). The SA economy is in relatively good shape compared to the UK, EU and US, tourism is booming and neither carriers has been exposed the slump in the US air-travel market, SARS or the war in Iraq.

Whats the view in Pprune world regarding the merger would it be a good or bad idea?

BAKELA
27th Jun 2003, 22:29
Clipboard,

Sounds like you have the hot gen my mate. That at least, the bosses confirmed at a recent board meeting. Who's board meeting?for political reasonsWhat exactly are you implying here? major developments Right. If SAA swallows SAX and Airlink continues as is, what major development can possibly take place?

GT,

Without commenting on the alleged losses suffered by both (I'll wait for Clipboard), SAX has been flying the wrong routes with the right aircraft or the right routes with the wrong aircraft. This has happened since their inception in '94 and to right that wrong is going to take a major effort I reckon.

A merger will make sense for SAA, SAX and Airlink I reckon. The effect it may have on staff and crews is another kettle of fish though. A merger would in effect mean that everybody would then work for SAA. Tells me that some people may just jump ship.

BAKELA
3rd Sep 2003, 18:59
Clippies,

Any news about the merger? It's far too quiet - something is brewing. :rolleyes:

BAe 146-100
3rd Sep 2003, 22:02
Hi,

Off topic question:

Does South African Airlink operate the CPT - PLZ route?

BAe 146-100

PAXboy
5th Sep 2003, 07:18
Yes. SA Airlink (http://www.saairlink.co.za/routes.htm)

Schedules are listed in the nav bar. Two rotations a day but varies at weekends.

It is scheduled to be operated by the E35. Sector time is listed as 1.25 hours. On this route, they are competing with Airways and are probably filling in the gaps of the main schedule.

On thread: I always hear that SAX is supposed to be the one that must survive politically and that Link will get eaten up. But then, one also hears that Airways will just wait for one (or both) to implode and then pick up the pieces cheaply.

What is plain is that ZA has a need for the small stuff that Link operates into small fields. The big boys can fight over the main routes but the small stuff is going to be needed and it will continue - under one name or another.

Personally, I think that small routes need small carriers, not big carriers that do not understand the small routes. But I'm only a pax so don't know k@k. :rolleyes:

BAKELA
26th Sep 2003, 16:20
Birdie whispered in my ear last week that the Airlink/SAX merger is off...for the immediate future anyway.

Anybody with the hotties out there?