PDA

View Full Version : BMI across the pond

busz
1st Jun 2003, 22:42
Hey,

I am off to Washington with BMI in 3 weeks and am just asking what i should expect. I have heard a few good comments about their A330-200's and their service but thought i would ask on pprune.:cool:

I am flying in ole' Cattle class but at least i will have a PTV.
Also, i am connecting in KIAD onto a United 757 down to Orlando. Is there much to do in Dulles for 2 hours and what should i expect on United in economy.

Any responses would be very welcome.

Alex

Fly locally, Fly from Manchester!

Globaliser
1st Jun 2003, 23:00
A lot of your two hours at IAD is likely to be spent going through the mobile-lounge/immigration/baggage-claim/customs/check-in/shuttle-to-concourse process. You may be lucky and find that traffic is light and you speed through each of these steps, but it can easily be 45 minutes just to get beyond customs.

One tip - when you arrive it may be obvious to you which mobile lounge you will have to get onto (they take you away from the aircraft, you don't disembark directly into the terminal). If you are absolutely positively last onto that mobile lounge, you will be first off it when you reach the immigration hall. Don't rush to get onto it from the aircraft.

newarksmells
2nd Jun 2003, 03:53
Like Globalizer says, last on and first off on the tram across the runways. As for United, you'll be lucky to receive either pretzels of Peanuts...certainly no food. If you have time in Dulles, pick something up at one of the Fast-Food places if you're hungry...it might make the trip bearable... United do however provide Soft Drinks, Coffee, Juices and Tea at no charge...Beer is $4:00 a can and Wine is the same price for a small bottle.

Be careful in Orlando, once you get away from Disney, Seaworld and Univeral, it's not too great a place to be walking around by yourself.

Newark

gate4lounge
3rd Jun 2003, 04:43
We are doing the same run in September...only originating from GLA. Since I have bucket loads of bmi upgrade vouchers I'm hoping to sample the delights of New Economy:cool:

We only have one and a half hours between landing and take off at IAD....very, very tight (I can still see us getting the later flight IAD - MCO):(

One piece of info I've gleaned from bmi's in flight mag is that there is supposed to be a United desk just through customs, for assistance in re-checking baggage.

Have a great time:ok:

Alex

Edit....spelling not being my strong point:O

amanoffewwords
3rd Jun 2003, 16:07
Busz, the way the American airlines overbook their flights you might be spending a portion of your two hours arguing for a seat for the Orlando sector - happened to me a couple of times with US Air and United. Was eventually honoured with a boarding pass as they felt sorry I had come all the way from England or words to that effect - never quite understood what they meant :confused:

amofw

gate4lounge
4th Jun 2003, 03:49
Further to my last post....as luck would have it I travelled bmi today and their in flight magazine, Voyager, now deletes the re-check in desk from international arrivals/customs at IAD and puts it back in the main check in area:confused: :confused:

Perhaps some kind traveller transitting IAD following bmi flight from MAN can advise their experience in due course:)

busz
12th Jun 2003, 03:41
Thanx for the replies, lots of useful info. I was under the impression that i wudnt have to go on the lounge thing as on the IAD map on the airport website, it says 'International Arrivals, for Washington Passengers only'. I imagined they would do immigration on the concourse. Neway, thanks again.

Alex

malanda
13th Jun 2003, 22:49
gate4lounge said :
Since I have bucket loads of bmi upgrade vouchers I'm hoping to sample the delights of New Economy

Does this mean you are a Diamond Club gold? In this case, they'll probably upgrade you to NewEc anyway. If you're very lucky, vouchers will get you into Business.

And if you have spare vouchers, I'd be very, very grateful...
It'd be a shame to let them expire.

gate4lounge
15th Jun 2003, 23:27
Malanda....yes I am DCG. As we "paid" (using bmi Compensation Vouchers) for our tickets we are stuck in Y, with the hope of upgrade to New Economy. Obviously if we were travelling on award tickets we would automatically be in New Economy, with hope of upgrade to Business.

Re spare upgrade vouchers....we shall need 16 for the 4 bmi flights on out travel GLA-MCO. I have a few more than that but they are beyond their expiry date (no doubt some subtle changes can be made;)) Unfortunately they all bear my name as they were obtained as a non required VDB, so would be of limited use to anyone not having my surname:(