PDA

View Full Version : Internet connections

ATCbabe
1st Jun 2003, 20:44
Babe has just bought herself a nice new all signing all dancing laptop. Very nice it is and no problems connecting it to my home BTinternet account.

However only being able to use it at home is not the reason I bought it. I need it to take when I go to friends, parents etc, so need some sort of isp account which means I can plug it in to any phoneline and get online without having to change phone numbers with my isp.

But which one? There are so many "pay as you go" accounts that I cant decide about one.

So which one is best?

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Jun 2003, 01:44
Gor for OneTel. Pay as you go at a cost of 1p per minute and NO additional charges. Just fixed for a friend and works like a charm. BT has a minimum of 5p this one doesn't.

tallseabird
2nd Jun 2003, 02:59
Force9 allow you to have more than one 'home' number, I think it is 5 so you can connect on a 20-hours-per-week (or whatever you end up paying for) from any of the 5 locations (I'm sure they will check to see that you are not connecting from more than one at a time) and then you can have a pay-as-you-go from anywhere else.
Their customer service leaves something to be desired but the service is good

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
2nd Jun 2003, 06:25
Babe,

Has your laptop got WiFi (Wireless Networking) ? There are quite a few places these days that provide a public wireless service (and quite a few that do that don't realise it :eek: ) Don't know where you're based, but quite a few coffe bars in London do, for example, which come in handy for the mobile user :)

spekesoftly
2nd Jun 2003, 08:59
PPRuNe Pop,

Are you sure that OneTel's 1p/min narrow-band service permits internet connection from different telephone numbers? I was under the impression that OneTel use CLI to identify, and restrict use to, a subscriber's registered 'phone number. My apologies if I'm mistaken.

BRL
2nd Jun 2003, 09:34
Hi there. Hope THIS (http://www.ukinternetguide.co.uk/netguide/PPF/UK_Internet_Guide/Internet_Service_Providers_(ISPs)/GCID/1604/Guide.asp) helps and here is an example of what to look for. Breath.com (http://www.breathe.com/)
They offer this...............

pay as you go
Get breathe anywhere and dial up to the internet whenever you want to at thecost of a local telephone call.

It may be a long trawl through the ISPs but it will give you some idea what to look out for.

Specaircrew
5th Jun 2003, 02:17
Why not just use the BT 0845 number to connect when you're away from home?

PPRuNe Pop
6th Jun 2003, 00:35
spekesoftly

Know what? I am not sure! You may well be right because I have not tried that and have no info either. I believe it can be arranged but I wouldn't hold yer breathe about extra numbers being made available.

Good point. Glad you asked. :confused:

idgas
6th Jun 2003, 09:45
tallseabird

I agree. Force 9. Been using them for some time. Out of interest, ADSL is £19.99 per month.

Cheers, :cool:

mainfrog2
7th Jun 2003, 14:14
Not sure if this is still the case but when I used BT Internet (24/7) 0808 number I regularly used to take my laptop back up to family in Derbyshire and log on without a problem and in Lincolnshire and Ayrshire too. None of my calls appeared on their bills. I changed from BT internet last November so it may now be different.