PDA

View Full Version : Warning to Schweizer 300 pilots

Aesir
31st May 2003, 18:02
I was doing some flight instruction in Schweizer 300 today and when we were putting it in the hangar the sun was shining right into the exhaust muffler and I thought it looked weird, so I took a closer look and it turned out that the inside of the muffler was all twisted and bent, and there was only a small hole for the exhaust to come out.

It was only hours from blocking the exhaust completely. It sure was lucky I noticed that. I have read about a accident some years ago exactly for same reason due to the exhaust blocking and the engine loosing almost all power.

Check your muffler!

Blue Rotor Ronin
1st Jun 2003, 07:26
Check my girlfriends muffler on a regular basis, unfortunately though, the sun only shines out of her arse.:ok:

SASless
1st Jun 2003, 09:09
Setting Sun too I bet Blue!

sprocket
1st Jun 2003, 12:31
BRR: Must be a permanent eclipse at my place. I only ever get to see a 'moon'. :ugh:

Aesir: I have seen that prob. in fixed wing mufflers in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you know if it is an original or an after market brand muffler?

Aesir
1st Jun 2003, 17:39
Its the original (exhaust) muffler in a S-300C built 1991.

Yeahh similar has also happened to me in R-22, but that was not as bad, the muffler only deformed because of heat, but in this case the outside looked good and as a part of preflight we always give the muffler a little knock to hear if the filters on the inside are loose, no indication of anything wrong until shine a bright light into it, then you could see the whole thing was a mess and beginning to block the opening.

Blue Rotor Ronin
1st Jun 2003, 21:28
Too right SAS...:ok: