PDA

View Full Version : Blood Lessons

helmet fire
31st May 2003, 10:32
I have found the reactions to reported accidents on Pprune as fascinating. It doesnt seem to matter which forum or what intrest group, but there are two very opposite reactions that seem to prevail:

1. The Condolances Group: use the forum to express all manner of salutations, sympathy, condolances, and admiration for the recently departed, regardless of accident causation.

2. The Speculations Group: use the forum to point out what they think the poor bastard did to deserve their fate, what might have happened, why it might have happened, and what might have stopped it from happeneing, regardless of any sensitivity.

Between these extremes are the majority of us whom, I suspect, feel sympathetic toward the victims, curious as to how it happened, and most importantly, wanting to know how to avoid the same fate. Unfortunately, the two extremes generally hijack the threads so it becomes a "he was a fine pilot and how dare you speculate" versus "he should've been grounded long ago" arguement, rather than exploring the middle ground and trying to learn how to avoid being the next Pprune thread.

Why dont we start two threads on each accident: a "condolance" thread for the outpouring of grief and expressions of symapthy, and a "specualtion" thread where emotion can be removed in the quest for lessons learned?

Lastly, have you noticed how we dont follow up the reported accidents to learn outcomes very often? Why dont we learn these "Blood Lessons"?

I really must stop drinking.

:ooh:

Blue Rotor Ronin
1st Jun 2003, 07:33
Yes you should.... most kids manage to be Malcom in the middle, soapboxes should only be mounted when the body's gone cold. Take note NO1.:ok:

SASless
1st Jun 2003, 07:37
Drinking makes the steps easy to mount.....