PDA

View Full Version : TV crew hurt in air crash

HOGE
31st May 2003, 05:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/2951026.stm

Gunship
31st May 2003, 20:07
Not a good photo with the accident report, but quite amazing that the Jetranger is in such a "good " / "one-pice" condition.

Is this "normal" that a Jetranger can withstand quite a high impact ?

B Sousa
31st May 2003, 23:55
Guns
It looks like the Aircraft came down OK. Problem must have been the landing.....terrain, low rotor RPM etc....Once they start going over its all over......
Hey you ought to see what one of the guys did here with an A-Star (Squirrell). Hit so hard that the Starflex shattered, skids were up around the cockpit......All walked away......

witchdoctor
1st Jun 2003, 04:08
Flew over the crash site today en-route to a photo detail in Newcastle (based Carlisle) just as recovery was about to start. One of the cabin doors, possibly pilot's door, was lying approx 40' or so from the rest of the airframe. It must have hit pretty hard for the door to go so far, unless there is some kind of quick release mechanism for jettisonning the door prior to a forced landing (I'm fixed wing, so only flown rotary as pax).

By a sheer fluke, driving home along the old military road (which runs parallel to the wall) I ended up behind the trailer carrying the airframe (presumably to Newcastle for examination). The starboard side was a fair mess and pretty well crushed, so hats off to the crew for getting it down with minimal injuries to all on board. Really nasty little section of the wall where it went down - 50' to the North and it would have been really grim. Glad everybody got away.

SunderlandMatt
2nd Jun 2003, 17:08
On Friday afternoon as I was driving home from work I heard about it on the local news. It happened to be on the way home so I had a bit of a look. I thought it wouldn't be too pervey as all walked/ran away!

Anyway, from the road side you could see that it had landed pretty well and then rolled to it's right side. Apparently the tail rotor failed, then on landing/crashing fuel started pouring out. All crew escaped and ran from the fuel drenched chopper.

Just by chance I saw it on the back of a low loader on the A69 on Saturday evening on its way East towards Newcastle.

Just a shame it didn't come down on Alan Titchmarsh. ;)

The Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/2951026.stm)

EESDL
3rd Jun 2003, 00:47
Will that be the end of the oldest working Jetbox on the UK civvy register?

ppheli
4th Jun 2003, 18:03
Yes, I've heard it's back "home" at Walton Wood and has been declared a write-off.

EESDL - it's NOT the oldest 206 in the UK - nearly, but not quite. That "accolade" goes to G-RAME, serial #12, recently refurbished by R&M and previously known as G-BWZW and G-CTEK before that.

MPR
5th Jun 2003, 05:04
ppheli & EESDL - Don't forget the 2 Agusta-Bell 206's from 1967 still operating in the UK. G-AVII with Bristow's (Its been registered to them from day one - 10/03/1967!!!) & G-AVSZ with Patriot Aviation.

ppheli
5th Jun 2003, 13:15
OK, yes, I forgot about the Agusta ones. AVII is still around and flying, and while AVSZ is technically still on the register, it has been a hangar queen for a while now. CofA expired Jun-99 and opinion is divided as to whether it is really uneconomic to rebuild it, or whether it is "awaiting resources"