PDA

View Full Version : QF1737 Melbourne-Launceston attempted hijacking - 2 FA's injured

Mr Seatback 2
30th May 2003, 21:20
Dear All

As some of you would no doubt be aware, QF1737 yesterday (29th May) was the subject of a passenger trying to gain access to the flightdeck, for what it is determined to be an attempted hijack.

The Purser and Flight Attendant at the front of the cabin sustained injuries in the ensuing struggle with the alleged hijacker, with the Purser sustaining deep head lacerations caused by sharpened wooden implements smuggled thru security by the passenger. The PSR required 17 stitches to the back of his head, as he rammed the passenger back into the cabin, away from the hijacker using a 'rugby' style of tackle. During this time, the passenger kept stabbing the back of the PSR's head with these sharp wooden instruments.

The female Flight Attendant sustained facial lacerations of varying degrees by the same implements, received also in the ongoing struggle.

Passengers quickly came to the aid of these two crew, and subdued him using the onboard restraint equipment. More information for those who are interested, or lacking information abroad, can be found in the Dunnunda & Godzone forum.

All crew, including the two uninjured flight attendants at the rear of the aircraft (as well as the flightdeck crew), are recuperating and receiving all manner of support and assistance as required. The attacker has been charged and remanded in custody.

I'm sure you will all agree these crew have done a fantastic job under very dangerous and stressful circumstances. I wish them a speedy full recovery from the scars they would have received from this incident - both emotional and physical.

ditzyboy
2nd Jun 2003, 22:04
I would like to commend my colleagues for their actions and wish them all the very best. The tech crew are back at work already. (I think they are mad but good for them...) I certainly hope that the cabin crew take the time to recover fully before coming back to work. You have all proven yourselves as true legends and will not impress us any greater by coming back too soon. Really I hope you all take care of yourselves and that the physical and mental wounds heal....

On that note I would like to thank Impulse management for being amazing in organising two members of management to be flown to the scene within minutes and for getting the crew's family and friends up to MEL ASAP.

Also we had every member of management, including the CEO, in the Sydney crew lounge prior to 0600 on Friday morning to pass on information and provide support. We all needed it and were grateful for their assistance and reassurance. We all valued their efforts. Of course having the resources of the entire Qantas group helped to ensure the matter was dealt with effectively and quickly.

Cart_tart
3rd Jun 2003, 11:49
Fantastic job by great QantasLINK cabin crew!! I'd love to fly with that crew any day!

Just wondering how come the LINK part seems to have been forgotten? Also why were the crew put in mainline uniforms for the press confrence?? I know Impulse CSM's wear the same (or very similar) uniform to QF mainline, but regular line FA's wear the same gorgeous printed shirts as linkette's all over oz. However....at the press conference the heroine was wearing the white mainline shirt?! I know its a minor issue in light of the seriousness of the whole matter but it has just intrigued me. I'm sure if it had been a different incident, with a different outcome, that may have given QF bad press, the LINK part of the picture would not have been forgotten with QF most probably stating that it wasn't them it was Impulse!!

I think the crew were brilliant and definitely deserve bravery awards (if they still exist!) I'm glad to hear they, and all Impulse/QFlink crew are receiving the best care and support from the company. I hope they recover from the injuries soon. The mental scars will remain for a long time to come but hopefully with the support from colleagues, fellow cabin crew and an entire nation it will make the process somewhat easier for them.

CT
xx

Trollywally
3rd Jun 2003, 15:31
The Cabin Manager involved was also ex Ansett ... I bet he was instructed not to mention that at the press conference .... But that aside all the crew did extreemly well and I bet all those that currently fly have have put themselves in that exact senario and asked ... How would I have reacted ... What would I have done?????

GalleyHag
3rd Jun 2003, 17:46
No one (being the media) has mentioned the other two f/a's apart from seeing them at the press conference. Why are they not getting a mention? They were operating crew and Im sure would have been involved if not in the actual incident but certainly post the incident considering the injuries to the other two crew members. Does anyone know if they are OK?

Mr Seatback 2
3rd Jun 2003, 20:06
It is my understanding the two non-injured FA's involved are doing fine under the circumstances, and taking some well earned time off for the time being.

But alas, the reason they're not being paid any attention can be directly attributed to that wonderful world of journalism. After all, pretty girls as FA's are a dime a dozen - pretty girls with injuries from a hijacket...WELL...NOW that's a story!

The main thing is that we know all the cabin crew are doing well, and we all wish them a speedy recovery and a return to the skies!

Qwannas
4th Jun 2003, 13:30
Hi Mr Seatback 2,

From what I hear Impulse have handled this difficult situation with enormous professionalism and support to all staff and passengers involved. I realise from your posts that the cabin crew are not flying for now - but when returning to normal duties, will it be a slow start for at least a few weeks? Will Impulse be taking the 'gently, gently' approach when they do return to work? (short shifts, small weeks?) The reason why I ask, is the trauma following such an incident must be absolutely harrowing. I would imagine their confidence levels and their trust would be just soaring! The physical scars will heal long before the emotional ones.

I would like to send a personal 'thankyou' to all those involved in the incident and who put themselves at risk. I cant begin to imagine what would be, if you had not done so. A very brave bunch of people (and from the media I have seen, also very humble). Thankyou, again.

Mr Seatback 2
4th Jun 2003, 19:23
Hard to say what will happen over the coming weeks for the crew.

My understanding of the situation is that Impulse are letting the crew determine how long they need off...I imagine if the crew wanted to return to work on a modified roster something could be arranged until they were ready to assume full time work. Pretty much in their hands really (which is the best option)...

That, with the added support of counsellors at their beck and call if needed, would probably assist making a difficult situation that bit easier.

missleadfoot
5th Jun 2003, 11:17
My mother called me yesterday and asked me what I would have done if I was faced with the same situation. I just said I would have tried to do exactly the same. You have to. The lucky thing out of this is the ******** didn't go for the flight deck during the service, when probably no one was in the forward galley. The CSM, as with all the other crew on this flight are hero's, they prevented what could have been an absolute disaster. But they were just doing their job. That is what we are trained for. (however our hijack training can never be precise, it's too unpredictable). Passengers may now realise we are here primarily for their safety, not to put up with their bloody winging about cold coffee!!
I fly sometimes with the new reinforced doors, and even when I am let in they are a ****** to open. This incident proves that you dont need a gun to take control. The sooner they get these doors installed on all aircraft the better. I have known passengers to open the flight deck door by accident looking for the loo.
I have learnt now to never go out in the cabin without another crew member having easy access to the forward cabin area. This incident highlights the importance of having all areas of the cabin under observation, at all times. Please, we obviously need more crew, because this will be the start of copy cat individuals who want to do the same.

I know we have sky marshalls on our flights, but where were they here? Our government asseses destinations and routes by risk factor, and probably place these guys on flights that are considered possible targets. Now you would never have suggested Launceston as a risk, well if you are gaining control of a plane for the purpose of suicide and death of hundreds of other souls, would you care where the plane was flying? I want marshalls on every flight. I don't want to know who or where they are, but I would like to know they are there if I need them. This will happen again, thanks to the media telling everyone how easy it is to bring a piece of wood onto a plane.

ferris
5th Jun 2003, 13:38
I agree this sort of thing will continue to happen. It has happened pre Sept 11, but will probably happen more frequently in future because of media attention, but I don't agree with blaming the media. And I think the media needed to tell people about the wooden implements, if only to explain why the screening didn't work. You cannot make the cabin 100% safe (see thread on pprune about the guy who smashed the flourescent tube from the toilet!- I mean, how could you have thought of that in advance?) Determined evil-doers have very nasty options that can never be totally prevented. Training, training, training is the way to go. And knowing that the pax are going to be 100% behind you.

Anflygirl
6th Jun 2003, 09:13
God forbid, but there is also a very large, breakable mirror in that loo as well!!!!!