PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 medical validity period

vindaloo
30th May 2003, 20:18
I passed my class 2 medical in Sep 2002 whilst I was 29 years and 3 months old. The expiration date written on the certificate by the doctor is 2 years from the date of the medical. I thought that if you were under the age of 30, the medical would be valid for 5 years. I did point this out to the doctor at the time, but he simply said no, it was valid for 2 years.

Now that I'm sending off all the forms / certificates for the PPL licence, it's reminded me to try to get a definitive answer to this question.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Vindaloo

Mark 1
30th May 2003, 20:26
The validity period is 5 years, but not past the holders 32nd birthday (JAR-FCL 3.105)

vindaloo
30th May 2003, 20:36
Thanks Mark 1,

Does this mean therefore that my medical should expire in June 2005 when I am 32, instead of September 2004 when the 2 years are up?

skinteastwood
30th May 2003, 20:59
I am currently planning a career in aviation (as a pilot) and will need a class 1 medical at the relevant stage. It will be at least 2 years before I gather enough cash to reasonably afford to start training. Should I have the medical sooner rather than later to avoid building my hopes up just to be dashed on this one point?

How strict is the medical? As far as I know I am in good health, and take no medication (nor have a history of illness). I probably drink a bit too much (I will have a hangover at least once a week). I am 24.

Any comments welcomed.