PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security Overhaul Needed

pullock
30th May 2003, 16:07
In light of the recent security issues, particularly yesterdays incident, I have cast some thought as to how airport security could be made better for all.

Obviously the current measures are inadequate, but increasing screening will only serve to inconvenience the travelling public to the extent that they just won't fly unless it is absolutely necessary (which is already the case).

My thought would be to broaden the focus of security from preventing inflight incidents with ground based security, to preventing incidents with inflight security.

Already this is being done with undercover air martials, however this model in light of recent events clearly does not work.

A model which I believe would work as both a super efficient deterrant, and at the same time a fall back IF anything occurred in the air would be fully uniformed, and highly visable air martials on all australian flights.

I hear you screaming already that this idea is too costly to be practicle, OK so lets work it out. What is the cost to the airline of an average seat in an aircraft? Domestic short haul, I bet it's less than $100.00. Then what would the manpower cost, I bet it's also less than $100.00 per hour, all things considered. So ok assuming on the upper side the cost is say $200 per hour, across 100 pax that's a piddily $2.00 per passenger. OK so lets allow for the fact that aeroplanes aren't always fully loaded, and allow say a 50% buffer, then it's $3.00 Suddenly it's affordable.

Certainly I bet passengers would see better value for their buck on this, rather than the ill-conceived Ansett levy.

OK aviation people, over to you, have you got any better ideas to throw in to the pot, you never know, maybe someone who is in a position to do something about it may see commonsense in an idea here and act on it.

But then who ever said that aviation and commonsense ever went hand in hand??

fruitloop
30th May 2003, 16:15
What security,?? Ya go through the security screens into a shopping mall. "I'll have two cans of hairspray,one packet of panadol,three bic lighters and a couple of letter openers please""

pullock
30th May 2003, 16:46
Fruitloop,

I am not sure where you are but in AUS we don't have security on shopping centres, however we have a very strong visible security presence in airport terminals. It's gone crazy, whereby people with metalised items of clothing (shoes, belts, jackets etc)are forced to remove them before they can fly.

One day I saw security all but undressing a teenage female at the security checkpoint because she rang their bells. I was quite discusted with the whole thing.

Is it effective, well obviously only partly, so I would love to see what other ideas could be put forward that don't inconvenience the travelling public right out of the skies, to make security effective.

Talking of inconveniencing people out of the skies, I noticed that for the second time (in 2 weeks) the QF Domestic terminal at SYD was evacuated because someone got through the checkpoint unchecked. How many times can an airline absorb the costs of that sort of thing and remain viable?

??????????

fruitloop
30th May 2003, 17:03
pullock
I was at Mel QF terminal last night !! The security "screen"is before you enter a small but significant shopping area with nothing between it and the waiting lounge !!
My daughter purchased some of the above items before boarding her flight. Sorry to burst your bubble of security (military trained in explosives)but the system of bottle shops and News agents is but a farce in my eye's.!!

Aussierotor
30th May 2003, 17:05
The security is going into the terminal.Once in you can see whats around.Adelaide qantas lounge after 911 still had cutlery.Think now they have plastic knives but last time in Perth had stainless steel forks.
Wonder what other eats places in airports have.
Also read where Qantas were introducing a meal choice to NZ with stainless steel cutlery-------one wonders

PERTHAVIATION
30th May 2003, 20:37
C'mon Guys, you tell me how a Security Officer is meant to see two 15cm sharpend sticks in a person's bag on an X-ray screen and how a Walk Thru METAL detector will pick up wood if its on a person's body...

At MEL Airport in the "sterile" area you can buy Chinese with Wooden chopsticks - could have been a sharpend pair of these - after you have passed thru Security Screening.

So give it a break and stop blaming Security for these problems. Remember if you didn't have em' christ know's what would make it on-board the Aircraft - whether it be DG's or Prohibited Items. Remember they only follow the rules that DOTARS set. If you want to make any complaints at all I suggest everyone write to DOTARS!!

I thought we were ment to be professional around here. Plus you don't see Security popping up here taking the pis* out of the Pilots etc..

*** For PULLOCK (PULLOFF??) - get your facts right and learn to spell!!

*** For ALL OTHERS - if you don't like the Security system as it is write to DOTARS, as the people in the front-line i.e. the Security Officers we see are only following DOTARS "bright" ideas and doing their job to the best of their ability - a good one at that!!! I don't expect you go and tell a Copper what you think of the way he does his job so stop picking on the Security Officer's we rely on.

pullock
30th May 2003, 20:55
Perth,

I suggest that you go back and read what I have written. My "facts" are all personal observations.

You appear to be taking my observations of aviation security personally. My point is that the present measures go some way toward addressing the problems, but clearly by implementing better procedures we can all benefit. I have asked people to suggest initiaves that could be put in place to solve the security problems in aviation, with a view to annoy the travelling public as little as possible.

Some posters have commented on items that have concerned them, yet I have seen nobody bag the hell out of the security people at large.

Like you, I too believe that there is no way of effectively screening every pax for every conceivable weapon. That is why I am suggesting as I have already that sure the screening is a good start, but now its time to broaden the security focus and work on stopping what screening couldn't prevent.

Perth dude, I know my spelling sux, but at least I am not a rudearse like you. Commenting on spelling in a forum like this is rather bad form eh what?

I have noticed that you have failed to come up with any constructive suggestion as to how to inteligently improve security, which was the aim of the topic, so perhaps you shouldn't have posted here at all.

Aussierotor
31st May 2003, 07:08
Thers no doubt if someone wants to get something on board they will ,not the average joe blow,but someone with intent.

Perthaviation.
You must be in the security bussiness and i understand what you say.
If i wanted to hijack a plane to crash or whatever i wouldnt be at a major airport anyway.Just come up north here and board one of those 4 engine airlink jets----------no security at all.I could walk on with handguns ,hand grenades ,knives etc and take over the plane and head for the nth west shelf or to the R@I building in Perth.
Dont need a Jumbo to cause havoc.

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
31st May 2003, 12:07
Ditto places like Wagga, Bathurst, Lismore, Ballina (if you get into the waiting area before the security screeners arrive),Taree, Armidale etc etc.

Regional airport security is non-existant.

When flying from a regional airport, the only time you face 'security screening' is when you step off the turboprop and enter the major airport terminal.

This situation is an absolute disgrace, especially considering the amount of security that exists at major airports. Crews and passengers of regional airlines deserve a better standard of protection than the current status quo provides.

D.Lamination
31st May 2003, 14:55
You want more security - soon you'll have no industry because flying is too hard:

http://borgman.enquirer.com/img/daily/2003/05/052603_borgman_600x389.jpg

Hugh Jarse
31st May 2003, 16:08
Right on Colonel Kurtz:ok:

Can anybody justify to me that the lives of 50 passengers on a regional turboprop are any less valuable than those on a larger aircraft (or those on the ground)?

I'm confused......

The typical government reaction will be non-existant until AFTER something happens. Pretty sad isn't it?

18-Wheeler
31st May 2003, 16:16
Just out of curiousity, are you allowed to take a laser pointer with you into the plane?
I've had one in my bag for four years now, and last week when going through the security check at Coolangatta Airport the baboons tried to tell me that you're not allowed to have them.
I can't figure that out, as it's been in my bag for four years and no-one's EVER mentioned it before.
The only think I can think of is that one of them wanted a toy for their kids, so they tried to take it off me.
I say tried, because I wouldn't give it to them - I pulled a battery out of it and just walked off.

*Lancer*
1st Jun 2003, 19:16
If this is a 'war of terror', 'they' have already won!

kiwipilot02
3rd Jun 2003, 08:31
Sheepland (nz), security is no better .The airport where i work the P.M. flew out on a non screened ATR 72 flight @11.55am as the sceeners knocked off @11.30am for lunch after 737 pax had been processed. A joke as far as security for probably the most important person in the country......but the rule makers say only 90 seaters and above are dangerous...what rubbish!!