PDA

View Full Version : What's you opinion

daviesm
9th Apr 2001, 01:00
I am considering the self funding route to happiness. What do you think?
PPL and hour building in US - £8.5k
ATPL exams - £4.5k
combined CPL.MEP - £4.5k
FI(R) - £4.5k
Instruct for a year then get IR for approx £10k.
Total training cost of £22k exc. IR.
My instructing cn then fund the IR course and maybe MCC course before applying to airlines when i've got approx 1000 hrs.

Anyones opinion on this would of great help.
I don't think it's necessary to spemd £50k on training for professional pilot status???

trolleydollylover
9th Apr 2001, 01:06
Take the old addage - If you want to fly in the UK then learn in the UK. It is obviously your decision but one note of caution, remember food in the US is cheap and you could end up as Fat as Pielander and then who is going to employ you with US hours and too much lard to sit in a 152 by yourself, let alone teaching pielander how to fly.

TopGun my AR-se, SpudGun more like

Honest Frank
9th Apr 2001, 01:28
Go to America and ENJOY.It doesn't matter where you do your hour building and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Blindside
9th Apr 2001, 01:58
That's what I like about PPRuNe - 2 replies with completely opposite responses.

:)

regards

------------------
Half man, Half jalfrezi.

capt beeky
9th Apr 2001, 02:33
The smaller schools are excellent value for money. ATA at Coventry are the best. Oxford flying instructors still recommend ATA and Pete Lines brush ups for OATS students who are struggling.

CaptainCrunch
9th Apr 2001, 13:51
If you're planning on time abroad you could consider avoiding the herd and set off to South Africa. As of now I don't have any personal experience but after a great deal of research and have only heard good things about the courses there. I'm off there in July for my PPL. You won't need to learn to shoot (there are courses all over the country so overnighting in Jo'burg isn't compulsory) and it's almost embarrassingly cheap. For block hours it's possible to get them down to below 30 notes an hour and they'll even throw in a scheduled flight.

Just a though,

Cap'n Crunch