PDA

View Full Version : Amy Johnson on TV...

treadigraph
30th May 2003, 15:15
...not in person, obviously.

Thursday 5th June, 20:15, Channel 4 in the UK.

The Real Amy Johnson

"The story of the greatest ever female aviator, including an account of the problems caused by her celebrity and an investigation into her mysterious death in 1941."

Prince of Dzun
30th May 2003, 18:03
treadigraph:

I'm sure all will enjoy watching again the commendable exploits of Amy and Jason . However for me the aviatrix supreme is Jean Batten who in my humble opinion reigns head and shoulders above all others. For courage and ability both past and present Jean Batten stands alone. Regards,

Prince of Dzun

treadigraph
30th May 2003, 18:38
O Prince, that's Channel Four's "hyped" quote, not mine! :)

I would argue that she is but ONE of the greats amongst a long and very distinguished list... I'll still watch ther pogramme though, and will be interested to see what comments it elicits.

Cheers!

Treadders

Tapster
30th May 2003, 22:43
Prince

Let's not forget the late Judith Chisholm. I don't think they ever finished counting the number of records she broke.

Taps

bonzaman
31st May 2003, 12:30
I do not wish to get involved in a discusion on the relative merits of the pioneer women aviators, but in reading this thread, I am reminded of the number of very distinguished women aviators.
Bearing in mind that we are referring to the 1930,s or thereabouts, I have always marvelled at the number of women who performed so well in the aviation world. The more so since, in those times, it was not common for women to be so represented in all fields of endevour.
I have not been able to come up with a real explanation of this and I would welcome any theories that are offered, that is of couse if you agree with my proposition.
I can also add a couple more names to the list, from this part of the world, Nancy Bird and Freda Thompson.

Prince of Dzun
31st May 2003, 14:24
Tapster:

You may think yourself some sort of wit but I doubt if there are many others who would.

Prince of Dzun

Tapster
1st Jun 2003, 00:12
Prince .

Check your PMs

Rgds

Taps

Prince of Dzun
1st Jun 2003, 19:19
Tapster:
Maybe I did, but referring to a pop singer in the same breath as the two heroines we are discussing left me no option. I'm glad we agree so perhaps we should go back to the beginning and start again. Regards,

Prince of Dzun

Treadigraph:
After you view the TV story would you care to post your thoughts. It will not be available in my part of the world.
Regards,

Prince of Dzun

Tapster
1st Jun 2003, 22:54
Prince

we're at cross-purposes here. I think Judith Durham is the the person you're thinking of. Judith Chisholm set off from UK to Oz circa 1980 and broke many records for single engined a/c.
Her sponsors were so pleased that they told her to complete the circumnavigation of the world. I think a search on google might clarify the subject.

All the best
Taps

treadigraph
2nd Jun 2003, 00:32
Will try to Prince - I've got to go out that evening and the VCR is on the blink, but I am sure someone will record it for me! Ah, what the hell, I'll buy a new one...

Judith Chisholm flew to Oz in a Cessna 210, definitely not a pop star! Mind you, I've never heard of Judith Durham!

Prince of Dzun
2nd Jun 2003, 14:28
Tapster:

I owe you an apology as I was wrong. Your reference to"records" sent me off on a musical track .On top of that I asked a colleague if he had ever heard of the aviatrix Judith Chisholm and his reply was " Never, what did she do ?" Perhaps we can put it down to some sort of generation gap but even so I'm not offering that as an excuse for my lack of knowledge. Regards,

Prince of Dzun

Tapster
3rd Jun 2003, 02:59
Prince

Think nothing of it. I appreciate your motive. BTW how did you know I'm an old git!!!

All the best

Taps

astir 8
5th Jun 2003, 18:42
Let's hear it for Beryl Markham - a very early East - West Atlantic crossing (West with the Night) and sh****d the Prince of Wales to a standstill as well. There's not many pilots can claim that record.

They just don't make 'em like that any more :ok:

PS, not the present Prince of Wales!

Prince of Dzun
5th Jun 2003, 19:35
astir 8:

Steady down my friend, Jean Batten also flew the Atlantic from Thies (French Senegal) 45 miles inland from Dakar to Port Natal (Brazil). 2000 nm of water, 13 hours flight time and she made land fall , quote: " half a mile from the point I was aiming at ". unquote.
She flew a single engine Percival Gull with nothing more than a simple P4 compass. Also she did not carry a life raft (weight) or a life jacket. The life jacket was discarded because she considered , quote :" it provided only temporary survival " unquote. Regards,

Prince of Dzun

astir 8
5th Jun 2003, 20:44
OK Prince, but Markham did it the hard way UK - Newfoundland (or Nova Scotia, can't remember the details). She pranged on arrival mind.

and did Jean Batten s**g the Price of Wales?

Case still rests :D

And sorry, I'd not heard of Judith Chisholm, but I do remember lusting after Judith Durham

Prince of Dzun
6th Jun 2003, 19:17
astir 8:

I think you will find that the answer to your question is no. History has it that Jean Batten was rather particular in her choice of friends (as is fitting for a girl from the colonies) so that rules out the gentleman you mentioned.
Regards,

Prince of Dzun