PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see "Recreating the Dambusters" on tv?

WelshFlyer
30th May 2003, 04:59
Did any of you guys see the tv program "Recreating the Dambusters" on ch4? (here in Wales, it was on 2 weeks ago)

I thought it was a good program - the only problem with it being that the exercise was done in a sim.

I did find it very interesting that the main problem the crew faced was not being able to work in a team efficiantly though! :)

WelshFlyer:D

PPRuNe Radar
30th May 2003, 05:28
Read views here .....

Dam Busters Re-run (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85900&highlight=dambuster)

WelshFlyer
30th May 2003, 21:07
What i was curious about, was wat the other RAF aircrew thought of the program......

WelshFlyer

tony draper
30th May 2003, 21:44
Wait for the Hollywood Movie of the Dambuster raid,Staring Mel Gibson as a similarly named bloke, it tells the story of how two brothers with a bicycle business build Upkeep in the garden shed, and a crew of americans secretly infiltraite the RAF with the help of a WAF with big tits and take out those dams in the newly built top secret American Boeing Flying Wing powered by the new American invention the Jet Engine.
:rolleyes:

Oh yes, Mel has a dog called African American.

jack_k
30th May 2003, 21:58
Wg Cdr Gibson "goddam it chief, jus' giv me twenny-foor hours and ahl knock down that motha-f**king dam"
Barnes Wallis Jnr III "Youre out of order Gibson, the Mayor wants your wings on her desk by noon or she'll hang my ass out to dry"

No doubt the aircrew will all be Irish, Aussies, Yanks and Kiwis and the Brits (mainly English) will be play the villainous Nazis

Arent they planning a Colditz film as well with Matt Damon, other brat-packers et al? Hasnt Hollywood got its own American history to make films about? Oh no, my mistake, they havent. Heres futilely hoping the MoD wont let that bigot Gibson anywhere near the Lancaster....sigh...!

Surly Bondslipper
30th May 2003, 22:02
Gibson will fly the mission in a bloodstained vest. The Lanc will be named 'Millennium Falcon'. :rolleyes:

Archimedes
30th May 2003, 22:20
I vaguely (very vaguely) recall seeing that Gibson (Mel) had been interested in the idea, but diverse issues - dog-naming, funding, other projects - had put him off.

He then went on to make a film entirely in Latin and Aramaic (I gather it was about smart procurement or something like that, so there could be no use of language comprehensible to the audience) instead.

BEagle
30th May 2003, 22:31
Perhaps they could call his dog 'Luther' or 'Nelson'? Same number of syllables as 'Nig.ger', so could be over-dubbed on to the existing movie to keep the PC brigade happy?:E

WelshFlyer
31st May 2003, 01:41
Are hollywood really going to make another film about the Dambusters?:confused:

It'd be a shame if they did - whenever the yanks make a flick about something british they always ****** it up:rolleyes:

WelshFlyer

opso
2nd Jun 2003, 03:18
Back to the original question:

Yes I saw the programme. Interesting to see that even though they repeatedly pointed out that navigation was critical, there didn't appear to be a Nav/WSO selected. Also, 617 was formed of experienced Lanc crews, not such inexperienced personnel, completely unfamiliar with multi-crew ac. They kept stressing how the crew were forced to give up modern computers and use 60 year old basic kit - the majority of which was still the mainstay in the AT world as little as 5 years ago! I think that it would have been a more convincing experiment, had they taken a tac qualified herc crew and seen the mistakes made then.

Oh! And they shouldn't have let a woman drive! She was so busy gassing to the other woman on the crew that she flew them in to the ground after one practice run!;)