PDA

View Full Version : World Airways starts Nigeria to USA direct

non sched
29th May 2003, 22:10
World Airways, Inc. (NASDAQ: WLDA) yesterday began non-stop flights between Atlanta, Georgia and Lagos, Nigeria, the most populous nation in Africa.

Under the contract with Ritetime Aviation and Travel Services, Inc., World Airways will provide weekly non-stop air services from both Atlanta, Georgia, and JFK Airport in New York to Lagos, Nigeria. The JFK departure is planned for June 1, 2003. The Company will also begin flying between Houston and Lagos on August 5, 2003. The program will utilize an MD-11 passenger aircraft, and the initial contract is scheduled through December 30, 2003 with a possible extension through 2004.

World Airways will be the first U.S. registered carrier to re-establish passenger flight service to Nigeria since 1993 .

:ok:

V1 Rotate
30th May 2003, 10:13
Pity they don't still fly to JHB !
V1 Rotate:{ :{

Flight Detent
1st Jun 2003, 18:12
So does this mean something significant as far as the Nigerian Airways, backed by the Nigerian Government, and all that 'lost' money owed to Air Atlanta?

Cheers

concordino
1st Jun 2003, 23:58
This comeback could imply renewed interest of US oil companies in the Nigerian oil market.

New agreements signed after the recent elections ?

I would think the IAH-LOS route wouldn't be lucrative with an MD11...

:rolleyes:

non sched
2nd Jun 2003, 06:50
V1 rotate

Pure speculation on my part but I noticed in another post that Nationwide will be starting service to Europe from Joburg and rumor had it with an MD-11. Wonder who they might get an MD-11 from? Hmmm.;)

V1 Rotate
2nd Jun 2003, 23:28
It would be so nice if we could get another operator, Nationwide or World maybe, to operate between JHB and Fort Lauderdale or Miami.
Judging by the volumes on SAA they would have no problem finding pax. I am sure a lot of SA / USA traffic goes via Eorope. I have done this a few times myself.

V1 Rotate

B Sousa
2nd Jun 2003, 23:59
I also would love to see some competition from SA. Give Nationwide a chance they are still new in the game. Many new carriers overextend themselves and go away too quickly. World Airways has been around a long time. They did a lot of the Charter work in Vietnam.. They did do passenger work some years back with routes to europe and some good prices. I think they went back into Cargo and Charter only as a business decision.
Best way to voice your desires to these folks is to write or email them. Somewhere in the corporate offices Im sure there is someone who has been relagated to sort through the mail and maybe even read the stuff.
Good competition in the market may help us as consumers.

V1 Rotate
4th Jun 2003, 09:00
I seem to remember that Coleman Andrews once ran World Airways, before he took the helm at SAA :confused: :confused:
V1 Rotate

WhatsaLizad?
4th Jun 2003, 10:25
Top management at World is very excited.

Seems they are under the impression that if they started service, then they are promised 10% of the cash enroute to the USA from the estate of a African billionaire who recently passed away.

Seems they got an email about the families problem.
:p

non sched
4th Jun 2003, 11:34
V1

Coleman Andrews was the CEO at World for years before he wrecked SAA. At least he's consistent