View Full Version : Japanese pilot contracts?

CRAIGER
29th May 2003, 13:13
I am considering a 3 year contract based in Osaka, Japan and would appreciate any info on accomodation prices, lifestyle, TAXES in Japan, culture shock, training with a Japanese carrier or any other info from any pilots experienced with this sort of thing...I've been on a couple of contracts before, but not in Asia...
Advice from current or recent contract pilots In Japan or Asia would be especially appreciated...

Thanks in advance

wandrinabout
30th May 2003, 21:31
are you looking at the Hawaii Aviation contract or another? - I think Parc were advertising at some stage.

I've had a look at the Hawaii contract and have posted a similar question to yours on Nth American forum, maybe you want to keep an eye on it in the event something pops up. Otherwise, got no useful info for you, sorry.

JALD10
26th Jun 2003, 11:46
Craiger,
Funny but I am responding to your post from Osaka Japan. I have been with JAL for 7 yrs and really enjoy it so far. I am with HACS and they to have been very good with great benies. I think you are considering the ANA commuter contract or the JAL express B737 contract. Osaka is a big city with a lot of giajing living and working there. Lots to do and Starebucks are poppin up like pimples on a teenager. Depending on your contract you will probably do month on few weeks back home kind of thing.
You will get burned out on Japan after a while but is easily fixed with a break at home. The Japanese are very respectful and very kind to foriegners. Training will be very tough and very anal. You will be able to build your aircraft when you are finished. Almost all checklists are memorized with all items done from memory then read off the CK list. After training operations are very safe and very profesional. Most people have trouble passing a JCAB ( Japanese Civil Aviation Board) medical. I think that the standards are more stringent than NASA's. Many people pass the the Sim ck only to wash out of the PE portion.
In closing I think that you can expect a very positive experience in a very safe country. Pay and benefits are at or above industry norms. Like any company though it is up to you to make the best of it. I know some co workers have had a hard time in Japan but they are generally unrespectful of local customs and procedures. Give respect and you will get heeps back. Hope this helps and good luck.

Aloha:ok:

Wizofoz
26th Jun 2003, 18:58
Is J-EX hiring at the moment? Any idea who is handling the contract?

fullforward
27th Jun 2003, 22:22
JAL

See your PM!

JALD10
28th Jun 2003, 12:46
I don't think JEX is looking right now. You might want to check with Hawaii Aviation Contract Crews (HACS) or IASCO. I believe they are handling the contract.