PDA

View Full Version : Japan lifestyle and Japanese contracts

CRAIGER
29th May 2003, 13:01
I have secured a contract to live and work, based in Osaka, for a Japanese regional carrier ( subsidiary of ALL Nippon). If anyone has any info on accomodation costs, income taxes, living conditions, integrating with Japanese culture( if at all!) or any other useful info to help me in my decision it would be much appreciated! Anyone's opinion on these issues that was currently or recently on contract in Japan would be most invaluable....

Thanks in Advance

tff457
31st May 2003, 05:11
Try this:
http://www.japan-guide.com/

and practise saying this "wakarimasen" :O

Tex
31st May 2003, 05:17
Did they tell you whose taxes you will have to pay? Be careful!

Lookavi
2nd Jun 2003, 15:10
Hi Crager,
Command or FO?
Would you mind telling what sort of experiece you've got. Any time on type? And how long did it take to finalize the contract from the moment you applied.
Thanks in advance.

c152driver
3rd Jun 2003, 07:08
Could you tell me the payscale of Captain and FO?

Dash8
21st Jun 2003, 01:30
Howdy,

as I'm also considering the "Japan-Deal" I would appreciate
if someone already there (in Japan) could enlight us with
some more details about the operation, housing, costs of living,
etc.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Dash8

bmb7jiw
1st Jul 2003, 17:11
Im a Brit living in Japan. im a wannabee at the moment (doing my PPL next January after I leave here). Im here teaching English, so while I cant give you any piloting advice I can give you lots of Japan advice. Ive lived in Osaka since Nov 2001.
If you still need advice PM me or reply to this.

Gambatte ne (Good luck)

James

Pointer
14th Jul 2003, 04:00
Are there any more people out there who can give some advice? on the above mentioned subjects?

Like what is the index of cost of living compared to EU? (EU being 100)

And any info on the possibilities to move the "family"? eg schooling and living ( yes i know its expensive but a little more explanatory info would be appreciated)

'Doomo arigatoo gozaimasu' :8

Pointer

bateman
14th Jul 2003, 07:19
to Craiger - what sort of stuff did they ask you in the interview, and I hear the medical is a nightmare. Im heading off to the states in august for the interview, and am looking for some guidance.
In regards to the cost of living. My friends is japan say that the 2000 USD PM will cover some pretty good accom in Osaka. Im still trying to work out transport to/from Itami, and the viability of having a car in japan. The trains are pretty good apparently.
cheers
bateman

Hajj Man
14th Jul 2003, 10:05
This is or may not be correct. This is what i have been made to understand, if it is not correct please don't shoot the messanger as I got this from some one offered a contract package there.

Good Luck..

BASE Itami, Osaka

COMMENCEMENT DATE January & March 2004

A screening process in July & August 03 to include :-(i) Interview / Simulator Check(ii) Medical

DURATION 3 years.Training estimated 4/5 months and will be carried out at a location to be decided.

Captain: A gross Salary of USD 6,000 per month.
First Officer: A gross Salary of USD 4,000 per month.

DASH 8-Q400 ALLOWANCE For pilots who hold Dash 8-Q400 type rating at the commencement of the training period, a Dash 8-Q400 bonus of USD 5000 ( 3500 USD for First officers)gross at the end of each year of the initial 3 year contract period will be paid.

BLOCK HOURS 70 hours per month – subject to a maximum of 100 hours in 30 days. Hours in excess of 70 hours per month will be paid at the part of USD 85 ( 57 USD for First officers)per hour of part thereof.

DAYS OFF Whilst training: TRAINING 2 days per week.

Whilst on line: There will be two types of roster patterns available. Candidates will choose the pattern at the commencement of contract. Both Roster patterns provide blocks of days off combined with 24 days vacation.

ACCOMMODATION DURING TRAINING Hotel accommodation for the full duration of the Training Period. In addition a living allowance of USD 50 per day shall be payable to each crew member during the training period.

Once online: (I) Single room hotel accommodation at layover stations other than the designated base of operations.(ii) An accommodation / living allowance of USD 2000 gross per month. Pilots will be required to pay for accommodation at operating base.

GROUND TRANSPORTATION DURING TRAINING

Ground transportation or allowance between hotel and training centre will be provided.

On lay overs, Ground transportation at outstations is provided.

AIR TRANSPORTATION TRAINING: Positive air transportation provided at commencement and termination of the training programme in respect crewmembers. In addition A-net will provide free return tickets to eligible dependants to visit once during the training period.

Once online:....An air transportation allowance of USD 1,000 gross per month pro rata shall be payable to each crew member towards the cost of commuting to Osaka base. Each pilot and his eligible dependants shall be entitled to reduced rate transportation in accordance with applicable A-net regulations for travel on A-net.

VACATION The entitlement is 24 days vacation per annum. Vacation may be awarded during the training period. Will be combined with Rostered days off.

SICK LEAVE Each pilot will accrue one (1) paid sick day for each two (2) complete months service. The maximum number accrued shall be twelve (12) days.

UNIFORMS & MANUALS Provided by A-net.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Maximum age 55 at date of entry. No history of accident / incidents.

Captains hold a current and valid ATPL licence including a radio licence acceptable for validation by the JCAB for the issue of a Japanese ATPL.- Total flight time in excess of 3000 hours- 1500hrs of PIC time including 500 PIC hours on 2 man commercial turboprop aircraft - Valid Class 1 medical- Valid ICAO ATPL - Current and valid Dash 8 type rating preferred.

-
First Officers hold a current and valid ATPL licence including a radio licence acceptable for validation by the JCAB for the issue of a Japanese ATPL.Hold a valid medical certificate issued by an ICAO member state
Total flight time in excess of 2500 hours (Including 1500 hours of PIC time. Half of copilot time is calculated as PIC time).- 500 hours on 2 man commercial turboprop aircraft- Valid Class 1 medical- Valid ICAO ATPL - Current and valid Dash 8 type rating preferred.

LOSS OF LICENCE INSURANCE Professional Loss of Licence Insurance will be made available to crewmembers at discounted rates.

TAXATION Candidates will be liable for Japanese Tax. an estimates of approx 20% per year depending on a candidates individual circumstances.

:ok:

jtr
14th Jul 2003, 10:07
http://www.debito.org/residentspage.html

bmb7jiw
14th Jul 2003, 13:13
According to a report drawn up by the Economist Magazine that I saw on CNN, Osaka and Tokyo are the two most expensive cities on the planet.
I live in Osaka, and it is definitely a lot more expensive than England.
We pay about 600 pounds a month in rent for our apartment. We have two rooms, kitchen/dining area and small bathroom. It is possible to rent a house, but of course the cost will increase.
There are some service agents that speak English, but im sure your company would be able to sort out the main things for you such as apartment and how to register as an alien.
I find that I spend about 160,000 yen (800 UK pounds) a month of my salary, the rest I can save. Thats not living too sparsely either.
Intergrating into Japanese life can be.... interesting. You are always going to be an outsider, and culture shock comes and bites you when you east expect it. But its a lovely place to live and there are some great places to visit.
Public transport is well priced and very efficient. The Japanese love new things, so second hand cars are really good bargains. A lot of my friends have bought them and shipped them home and made a packet.
Food can be very expensive in supermarkets (2 USD for one Tomato!!!) but you find cheap places and eating out is very well priced as long as you avoid the really posh looking places.
There are quite a few International Schools in the Osaka area, but I dont really know anything about them.
Thats all that seems relevant for now.
If anyone wants any more info Id be pleased to help, PM or email me.
Ill be in Japan till Christmas, so get in touch

James

777Efoh
29th Jul 2003, 22:32
Gentlemen,

Konbanwa! I am exploring the possibility of finding an airline or corporate flying job in Japan and would like some pointers from those of you in the know....

Me: ICAO ATPL with B777 and Lear 45 type ratings
2300hrs on B777, total 2600hrs
Age 33 and able to obtain Japanese spouse visa
Japanese language limited to names of food so far :O

Which Japanese airlines hire expat FOs? What can I expect?
Since I can get a spouse visa, will the airlines direct hire someone like me or I have to go through the agencies like IASCO or HACS?
Thats all I can think of at the moment. Any info/contact will be greatly appreciated.

Domo arigato gozaimasu!

millerscourt
29th Jul 2003, 23:40
bmw7 You say avoid 'posh looking eating places'

Since when did Pilots ever go to posh eating places!!!????

Kaptin M
30th Jul 2003, 21:20
The contract as posted by Hajj Man looks fraught with pitfalls for those of you who haven't worked under contract, or with the Japanese before.
They bend and break it whenever they want to, and you'll find that the contracting agent will not back YOU up.
As an example, "VACATION The entitlement is 24 days vacation per annum. Vacation may be awarded during the training period. Will be combined with Rostered days off."
So for reasons that are solely those of the company, you now find that a sim will not be available for 2 weeks after your ground school, or, a training captain isn't available, or, JCAB cannot schedule you for your final check for a couple of weeks.
You will now be "awarded" VACATION leave of 2 weeks - leaving you with 10 days for the rest of the year.

"Both Roster patterns provide blocks of days off combined with 24 days vacation."....in other words the company will assign you leave, piecemeal, when it suits THEM.
Forget about slipping away for 7-10 days.

"Ground transportation or allowance between hotel and training centre will be provided.".
Now while that sounds fine, the "allowance" will ONLY be for public transport, and whilst the public transport in Japan is fairly good, unless you read Kanji (or Hiragana in many cases) you are going to be battling.
Furthermore, the transportation needed to get you from hotel to the training centre may very well involve changing busses/trains, with a considerable walk between the two OUTSIDE. Japan is more humid than Singapore in the summer (ie. you sweat like a pig), and FREEZING cold in winter...it snows in Osaka!

"Once online:....An air transportation allowance of USD 1,000 gross per month pro rata shall be payable to each crew member towards the cost of commuting to Osaka base. Each pilot and his eligible dependants shall be entitled to reduced rate transportation in accordance with applicable A-net regulations for travel on A-net."
The so-called "reduced rate" transportation is not worth a pinch of goat's sh!t in the company I'm with.
As an example, an ID75 that I enquired about, from Osaka to New Zealand, would have had to have been based on fare of NZD10,000.
Also be very wary of the clause 'applicable...regulations for travel". You will find that because you are not employed directly by the airline, you are precluded from MANY of the entitlements.

Living in Japan IS expensive, especially the utilities, telephone, water, electricity, and gas. It is not uncommon to have a gas bill of 30-40,000 yen (AUD500 - 600) per month, during winter.
Additionally, all of your bills come ONLY in Kanji, and if you miss paying them on time the service will be disconnected, and you'll be charged a re-connection fee.

Quite frankly, I don't see the F/O's salary as survivable at all.
As for the Captain's - you MIGHT save a small amount - but not if you have a family.

International schools cost about USD10,000 per annum, per child.

The only airline of which I'm aware employs expat F/O's is Air Japan (an ANA 767 subsidiary).

"TAXATION Candidates will be liable for Japanese Tax. an estimates of approx 20% per year depending on a candidates individual circumstances."
Without a doubt you will HAVE to employ a Tax Agent to do the tax for you.
Additionally, there's another 5% tax on everything you purchase. I recall reading somewhere recently that this may be increased.

IMO, give this contract a wide berth, until the salary and conditions are improved.
Don't be fooled by the smiles and sugar-coated tongues!!

bmb7jiw
30th Jul 2003, 21:37
I can't talk about about the contract specifically, but speaking from 2 years experience with NOVA teaching English, Japanese companies do try to mess you about and treat you in a way we in the west would consider bad. Japanese workers get absolutely shafted, but they dont seem to mind!!! It's the Japanese way they always tell me when I ask why!!
Japanese workers are expected to not take their paid vacation at all!!
Unpaid overtime is a big problem too. Most Japanese workers to OT for free!!

Now while that sounds fine, the "allowance" will ONLY be for public transport, and whilst the public transport in Japan is fairly good, unless you read Kanji (or Hiragana in many cases) you are going to be battling.

Most train stations in Japan have English signs on the station and some have English announcements. On buses or if you are living in a rural area you might have a problem, but not in the city and surrounds.

James

777Efoh
1st Aug 2003, 16:42
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. keep 'em coming!

Kaptin M,
You seem to know alot about Japan. May I ask if you know of Japanese airlines who hire direct than through agencies? As I've mentioned before, I am able to obtain a spouse visa...

Anyone know if JAS hires expat FOs for their 777 fleet?

Regards.

Kaptin M
2nd Aug 2003, 13:32
777Efoh, JAS and JAL are one now (as of October last year), and both operations are effectively JAL although some JAS flights still operate with Air System callsigns.

The only airline of which I'm aware that recruits direct entry foreigners is Air Do (Hokkaido International Airlines) - they have a couple of 767's - however I'm unsure as to whether they take non-Japanese F/O's.

You need to do what we all had to do, write to each and every airline.
Best of Luck with your endeavours.

c152driver
3rd Aug 2003, 08:22
Kon-nichi-wa
777Efoh, Some small Japanese airlines directly hire FOs. But I think FOs are all Japanese, not expat. Anyway try Skymark/Fair/SkyNetAsia.
Give me PM if you have question.

Sayou-nara
c152driver

;)

777Efoh
3rd Aug 2003, 10:42
Kaptin M,

Thanks for your encouragement. Managed to ask a JAL Japanese FO thru a friend recently and was told JAL and possibly ANA do not take in foreigners. :( Can try their subsidiaries though. I'm just wondering since JAS is now merged with JAL, does that mean hiring for JAS is now through JAL?
Anyway, I've sent out resumes to a couple of non-Japanese airlines who are/may still hire during this slow period and hopefully something comes up. In the meantime, I'll also write to the Japanese airlines...

c152driver,

Please check your PM.

Have a good sunday everyone!

sony
3rd Aug 2003, 13:18
JAL and ANA both do NOT hire foreign citizens on permanent hire. Along with being a national, you must also be fluent in Japanese. I am a Japanese citizen who was raised in North America, with a cousin who is now a 747-400 Captain with JAL. I can't even get on right now, because my Japanese is not considered fluent according to Japanese standards.

Snoopy
3rd Aug 2003, 17:05
Kaptin M

I really don't know why you are being SO negative about Japan and the Kansai area. It really isn't as bad as you make out. Of course, working for a Japanese company isn't easy. They are very demanding and expect "obedience" but no more of foreigners than they do of their local staff. Why should they favour us "gaijins"? The Kansai area is a great place to live. When we moved our office there up to Tokyo our staff were really disappointed. The service manager I hired a year ago to work in Kobe said that he loves it here and wants to stay as long as we'll have him...

But, just a few specifics.... (and I have been living in Japan 3 years now....not an oldie, but getting there)

"Forget about slipping away for 7-10 days."

The majority of Japanese wouldn't dream of it on a regular basis, maybe once every three or four years. Otherwise vacation is often dictated by the company, as is relocation.

"Now while that sounds fine, the "allowance" will ONLY be for public transport, and whilst the public transport in Japan is fairly good, unless you read Kanji (or Hiragana in many cases) you are going to be battling. "

That is a load of tripe! Station names are all in English also, as are the ticket machines. The only thing that may be a little more difficult are buses. But if you can fly a plane, I am sure you can find your way on the bus after you have done it a couple of times.

"Japan is more humid than Singapore in the summer (ie. you sweat like a pig), and FREEZING cold in winter...it snows in Osaka!"

You are right that it is VERY humid in the summer. But it is not THAT cold in the winter. It rarely gets too many degrees below zero. Of course, if you are European that's quite pleasant. Naturally from Australia it might be a little chilly too. But as far as I know Australians are real men too, so it shouldn't be a problem."

"Once online:....An air transportation allowance of USD 1,000 gross per month pro rata shall be payable to each crew member towards the cost of commuting to Osaka base."

That's about 120'000 JPY. By shopping around you can get fares between Japan and Australia of JPY 55'000. So, that should be manageable. Many travel agents have English ads and English speaking staff.

"Living in Japan IS expensive, especially the utilities, telephone, water, electricity, and gas. It is not uncommon to have a gas bill of 30-40,000 yen (AUD500 - 600) per month, during winter.
Additionally, all of your bills come ONLY in Kanji, and if you miss paying them on time the service will be disconnected, and you'll be charged a re-connection fee."

I live in a 4 bedroom house which is 220 M2 big and my utilities bill is on average 50'000 JPY a month. I have been up to a month late paying a bill (because my wife was away and I'm disorganised!) and nothing was cut off. Anyway, you have about three weeks to pay the bill anyway and you just pop down to the local convenience store and pay it. Can't get simpler than that.

"International schools cost about USD10,000 per annum, per child."

Actually, here you are being more generous than you should. Most schools are probably closer to USD 15'000 p.a. and you have a registration fee the first time.

TAXATION Candidates will be liable for Japanese Tax. an estimates of approx 20% per year depending on a candidates individual circumstances."
Without a doubt you will HAVE to employ a Tax Agent to do the tax for you.
Additionally, there's another 5% tax on everything you purchase. I recall reading somewhere recently that this may be increased.

Why wouldn't one pay tax locally? Anyway, the tax rate is lower than in many countries. Yes, there is a 5% sales tax, but compared with sales tax (or VAT) VAT in many European countries and North America....

All in all it's not a bad place to live. Don't expect to be singled out for preferred treatment (why would one anyway??) and things should be fine. Also, people here are generally pretty willing to help and assist.

Kaptin M
3rd Aug 2003, 19:41
Having lived here for only a little over 4 years, I guess you've got it all over me, Snoopy. :rolleyes:
I am not being negative, merely trying to point out what people should expect. My comments are more specifically directed towards the contract wrt leave, reduced rate transportation, etc, and as you are apparently not a pilot working under contract, some of your points are not relevant to the discussion when taken in isolation.

"Forget about slipping away for 7-10 days."
"The majority of Japanese wouldn't dream of it on a regular basis, maybe once every three or four years."
Well we AIN'T Japanese!! This is NOT our country - and to maintain some level of sanity, non-Japanese will feel the need to get away from the place for a few weeks at a stretch.
The contract that is the subject of this discussion appears not to offer that option.

"Station names are all in English also, as are the ticket machines." Well that IS a load of bollocks! Jump on a local train travelling the west coast of Kyushu, as an example, if you don't believe me...and by the way it's romaji - not "English".

"It rarely gets too many degrees below zero."
Bollocks again! Sapporo and Obihiro on Hokkaido get down to as low as minus26 C in Winter for a couple of months, Akita on the west coast of Honshu is often well below zero during winter.

"By shopping around you can get fares between Japan and Australia of JPY 55'000."
If time is not a factor. The JPY55,000 fares are generally with Korean, or perhaps PAL, and will involve lengthy topovers in Seoul or Manila one or both ways.
Additionally these fares are limited in number, and the price fluctuates depending on the season.

"They are very demanding and expect "obedience" but no more of foreigners than they do of their local staff."
We're not talking about schoolchidren, and your comment isn't really relative to a pilot's occupation and his relationship with the company. Howver on that point, anyone on contract should always remember that the agent is the employer, and the airline is the contractor. Don't worry I'm certain there will be times when you are told that you're not entitled to this or that because you are not employed by the airline.
And to that end, you'll find that Japanese employees will receive little "extras" - extra bonuses, extra Summer Leave, dispensations.
There IS discrimination here, albeit thinly veiled.

Snoopy
3rd Aug 2003, 20:46
and as you are apparently not a pilot working under contract, some of your points are not relevant to the discussion when taken in isolation.

That's irrelevant for the points I was making.

Well we AIN'T Japanese!! This is NOT our country - and to maintain some level of sanity, non-Japanese will feel the need to get away from the place for a few weeks at a stretch.
The contract that is the subject of this discussion appears not to offer that option.

Nope, but you are coming to work here. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. If you don't like it, if you feel insanity is imminent you are free to leave. But don't come here wanting special treatment and then moaning when you don't get it.

"Station names are all in English also, as are the ticket machines." Well that IS a load of bollocks! Jump on a local train travelling the west coast of Kyushu, as an example, if you don't believe me...and by the way it's romaji - not "English".

We're talking about commuting, and if you remember from my post, we were specifically talking about Kansai. However, if you happen to be commuting along a west coast of Kysuhu line, at least the station names are in Hiragana and that is not difficult to learn, even if there is no "Romaji" (pardon me).

Bollocks again! Sapporo and Obihiro on Hokkaido get down to as low as minus26 C in Winter for a couple of months, Akita on the west coast of Honshu is often well below zero during winter.

As I said before I was talking about Kansai as you mentioned snow in Osaka. But for the other places you are now mentioning you are absolutely right, it does get bloody cold. Long johns are "de rigueur" :D

If time is not a factor. The JPY55,000 fares are generally with Korean, or perhaps PAL, and will involve lengthy topovers in Seoul or Manila one or both ways.

Actually the fare that I mentioned was on SQ

Additionally these fares are limited in number, and the price fluctuates depending on the season.

So I guess you suffer the same incomvenience that all expats do

We're not talking about schoolchidren, and your comment isn't really relative to a pilot's occupation and his relationship with the company.

No, you are right, we are not talking about schoolchildren, but we are talking about a completely different mindset and culture. I deal with the differences on a daily basis as president of a company that employs both Japanese and non-Japanese. Naturally, I can't say what is expected of you because I don't know. But I can say that from experience, those expats that have had the most successful stays in Japan have been those that have been prepared to go some way towards integration rather than emphasising the differences. The fact of the matter is that you are contract employees and the local pilots are probably direct hires (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). The way you are treated is not discriminatory because you are non-Japanese, but because you are a contract employee. They would treat a Japanese contract employee exactly the same if they had them. Maybe in your case it is not so obvious because with airlines if you are local you are hired direct, and if you are a foreigner you are a contract employee. This is one of the main reasons that women are discriminated against here, most of them are only contract employees on 3 month contracts.

I am not blind. Discrimination definitely exists against foreigners in Japan...just as it does in many other first world countries. Maybe it's more difficult for us westerners here in Japan because we are on the receiving end rather than dishing it out. It's unpleasant, I agree, and maybe a lesson to be learnt that one can take back to the home country.

Kaptin M, I'm not having a go at YOU. I was just disappointed that your post came over so negative. Working here IS difficult, I agree with you and it comes with a daily dose of frustration. But, Japan also has a lot to offer. Working here is an experience that one never forgets (with all the great times and the bad times). I wouldn't try and talk anyone out of coming here, but nor would I tell them to come here all starry-eyed thinking that it's heaven.

I think that we are probably on the same chapter, if not on the same page.

bateman
3rd Aug 2003, 21:56
To Snoopy and Kaptin M.

Fantastic debate.... keep it up guys. Ive just got through the Sim/Interview for the A-Net Dash 8 contract in Osaka, and am currently awaiting dates for the medical. And some good topical debate on the merits of living in japan is just what I need.

Ive been to japan before, and absolutely loved it. And am looking forward to the challenges of getting used to living in japan, regardless of the actual/perceived drawbacks. Compared to the salary/lifestyle of turboprop jobs in oz/uk/nz, the japan one is fantastic.

777Efoh
4th Aug 2003, 11:44
To Snoopy and Kaptin M,

Thanks for your contributions. I am fully aware of life in Japan and appreciate your concerns. However, I intend to make the best of a bad situation and turn it to my advantage. I was recently retrenched so I'm sure I can put up with the "inconveniences" of living and working in Japan if only I can find a flying job there.

Cheers.

JALD10
8th Aug 2003, 04:46
I just wanted to add a few things to this post. What a great discussion. I have been with JAL for 7 years now and I am employed through a crew contract company. My experiences have been top notch. There have been awkward moments and huge cultural shocks but as every flight pattern went by I became more intune with the Japanese way. I have co workers who have a very miserable time in Japan and it is usually due to their refusing to respect local cusoms and procedures. Respect the Japanese and they will respect you. If you guys really want to know what it is like to live and fly in Osaka then try and get a hold of some JEX (Jal express expats) B737 guys(PARC/HACS/IASCO). They have been operating out of ITM for over 4 years. As far as allowances goes for travel to/from the airport, it has been my experince and those of the other airlines in Japan that you will call a taxi and either sign for it or have a company voucher. Same goes for drop off after a flight. I believe this contract in question is through HACS. If it is, your contract will be honored to the T. Mine has for the last 7 years!
There are a few non Japanese who work for JAL/ANA who don't speak Japanes. They are usually in training jobs in addition to flying the line. ( The Japanese need a little help training Giajin).
Finally I want to reiterate that Japan and a Japanese airline can be rewarding and fun if you have the right mind set, tolerence and patience. If you are stubborn, unhappy, and unwilling to accept and try to understand your Japanese hosts you will be miserable and will count your days.

Cheers

Kaptin M
8th Aug 2003, 19:42
"If you guys really want to know what it is like to live and fly in Osaka then try and get a hold of some JEX (Jal express expats) B737 guys(PARC/HACS/IASCO). They have been operating out of ITM for over 4 years."
You HAVE heard from (some of) them! :D

BTW, Snoopy, if you don't feel like travelling out of Tokyo to find a railway station where the maps are ONLY in Kanji (the maps that tell you how much you have to pay for a ticket), take a ride to the Shin Takanawa Hotel from Haneda Airport, or vv.

777 F/O - the problem might not be getting the job, but it may well turn out that the cost of living (rent, utilities, subsistence, etc) is NOT covered by your income, and that IF you do need to get out, you won't be able to afford to!

As the Japanese love to say, "Please use caution."

Snoopy
9th Aug 2003, 10:17
Kaptin M

I am sure that you are right. As it is said: He who seeks shall find.

But the gist of what I was saying remains. For people who are willing to make the effort and don't expect to live in an identical (or similar) cultural environment as back-home, Japan is not a bad place to live. I'm not saying forever, but certainly for a few years.

Now on Monday I'm off to visit a factory in the Nagano prefecture which is in the back of beyond a little. If I remember correctly this time of year one of the gourmet delicacies is some type of grasshopper....yum :\

Kaptin M
9th Aug 2003, 14:31
Nagano is pretty popular at this time of the year I believe, because it doesn't get as fumid (the Japanese pronounce their "f" as a "soft f" - more like an "h"....hence the fumid!) as other parts of Honshu.
Most people probably know it from when the Winter Olympics were held there a couple of years back.

Mmmmm grasshoppers - probably those deep fried, sweet ones.
Actually I've just finished a lunch of amaiebi (sweet prawns) - sashimi (raw) of course.
Now to think that most Aussies would think of those as ONLY bait for fishing.
Living here has certainly expanded my horizons!

JALD10, you sound a heck of a lot more like one of the recruiting agencies staff than any of the other pilots/engineers I've met here, and especially your comment, "Respect the Japanese and they will respect you." is either naieve, or misleading.
Japanese respect ONLY other Japanese - they may tolerate others if they are inclined.

Just considering some ika (squid), sashimi of course, for a snack.
Have you been game to try fugu yet, snoopy? Not I - it seems like a game of Russian Roulette!

Snoopy
9th Aug 2003, 15:22
"Have you been game to try fugu yet, snoopy? Not I - it seems like a game of Russian Roulette!"

You definitely have to be a bit careful.

Read of a Thai fishing boat last year on which the captain prepared Fugu (blowfish) soup. Two crewmembers resisted...and survived! I haven't investigated the Fugu fatalities in Japan, although I am sure that the true numbers will be camouflaged, just like those for the number of people who choke on Mochi (or however you spell it).

I tried fugu about two years ago in a restaurant near our office in Ryogoku (near the Tokyo Sumo Stadium). There are quite a few restaurants that specialise in it there. First of all it's expensive and secondly it isn't even that tasty. I think the attraction is the risk. One of my colleagues went home, put a couple of cotton wool balls in his mouth, slapped his cheeks to make them red and then went to his wife complaining he was feeling unwell. She got in a real tizz until she spotted the cotton wool....he almost died just the same, but from cleaver wounds rather than anything else!

I haven't had it again since because I didn't really like it. If I'm going to live dangerously, I might as well enjoy it!

Traffic
9th Aug 2003, 21:54
I am actually sitting in my house at Kurohime near Lake Nojiri in Nagano to pen this. It is certainly a pleasant place to spend time in the summer whilst Tokyo and Osaka swelter. There has been a 'gaijin mura' on the shores of Lake Nojiri since the 1930's when it was established by missionaries (mainly Scandinavian) as a gathering place for summer retreats.

There are indeed a lot of grasshoppers around but I am yet, after quite a number of years in Japan, to put any in my mouth. The food here is more than adequate without laying waste to the insect population. Grilled sparrow is as far down the foodchain as I have so far ventured.

My 10 yens worth is not related to Nagano or grasshoppers but the comments on the respect thing.

For Japanese, dealing with people from outside their immediate comfort zone is as tiring as it is for us...what the Japanese refer to as 'soto' (outside) and 'uchi' (inside). Thus the relationship one develops within the organisation can at best be superficial and is complicated by peculiar Japanese corporate cultures. The cultures between organisations can vary significantly but most people in major companies are brainwashed with the company's culture at time of entry. They are then given freedoms to be individualistic within the framework of that company's culture.

Someone parachuted in either as a direct employee or as a contractor for an agency, either foreign or Japanese, will always be regarded as an outsider. The harder you try to get people to like you the worse it gets. My view is that you simply get on with your job, stand your ground on issues of principle, never put someone down in a condescending way. If you lose your block, do it in a cool and measured way. People will respect your stoicism and professional manner. Friendships will develop with individuals in the organisation who respect your manner and realise that you have something to offer other than just turning up for work and staying on the right side of the JCAB.

Most Japanese who are parachuted into an organisation mid career or on a contract will have exactly the same issues.

The Japanese can be very insular but that doesn't make them all that different from the rest of us.

If you have a go at the language, it will go a long way to breaking through. As the old FEN radio program used to sprout ' A rittle ranguage goes a wrong way'.

Foreign Worker
10th Aug 2003, 04:10
As one who spent several years working in Japan until some time ago, I wish to proffer some lessons I learned through that experience.
#1. Never refer to Japanese as Asians in their hearing. To their mind they are Japanese.
#2. Be aware of the cautionary saying, "Smile to your face, stab you in the back". It may well have originated in Japan.
#3. Untruthfulness and truthfulness are often interwoven, and although some of the non-truths are obvious at the time, it does not appear to concern them.
#4. Everyone, and most everything, has at least 2 faces (facades), that which is openly seen by all, the second hidden behind the first and usually not revealed.

sony
10th Aug 2003, 08:41
With the exception of point #1, sounds like the United States to me.

jayceehi
11th Aug 2003, 02:35
To Kaptin M

"JALD10, you sound a heck of a lot more like one of the recruiting agencies staff than any of the other pilots/engineers I've met here, and especially your comment, "Respect the Japanese and they will respect you." is either naieve, or misleading.
Japanese respect ONLY other Japanese - they may tolerate others if they are inclined."

Afraid I have to agree with JAL10 on this one.....I have been with the same company for over 12 years and that is certainly how I find them to work for....

'Your' miles may vary of course depending on your 'attitude'

Cheers

:O :O :O

Snoopy
11th Aug 2003, 12:09
With the exception of point #1, sounds like the United States to me.

:D Doesn't it just? And just about most other countries/companies....

Welcome to the Rat Race!

Shagtastic
15th Aug 2003, 02:18
Hi Bateman,

Check your messages old chap.

I am looking at the DHC8-400 contract and would like to know how you go.

Cheers
Shaggy

BOGAN
1st Sep 2003, 07:19
Gidday all

Can anyone help me out with applying for this position? I have already sent online application, but have not heard anything. Is there anyone I can call? Does anyone have some advice?

Thanks