PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue calls

Dubya
29th May 2003, 12:50
Anyone out there had a phone call. Word is that it is about to start happening again.

Bugsmasha
29th May 2003, 14:26
Yes. had a call from Virgin today to tell me that I have to work on my reserve day tomorrow. BUMMER:sad:

topend3
31st May 2003, 11:25
talking about the virgin calls, i love the pa calls, really funny stuff like

"ALL ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT MUST BE SWITCHED OFF, THIS INCLUDES LAPTOPS, MOBILE PHONES AND RIDE-ON LAWNMOWERS!"

"ANYONE CAUGHT SMOKING WILL HAVE TO STEP OUTSIDE"

"THIS IS FLIGHT DJ442 TO BRISBANE, IF ANYONE IS NOT SURE IF THEY ARE GOING TO BRISBANE SPEAK NOW AND WE WILL TAKE YOU OUTSIDE AND FIND ANOTHER AEROPLANE FOR YOU"

Dubya
6th Jun 2003, 15:12
Now I can't believe that nobody doesn't know somebody who has maybe had a call. I have heard that they would be starting their calls this week and next week for interviews in June and July.
Any takers ???

Chocks Away
6th Jun 2003, 17:12
Top End ...mate ,
...not sure if that was sarcasm or an honest comment:rolleyes: .
Hopefully the latter...
It's certainly good to have some light relief in such an Industry with pinched mouths and tight asses:ouch: ...especially when so many people are still scared out of their whits about flying ( in the current climate).
The light hearted but never the less, serious calls, such as those you quoted are grabbing pax attention, by being "different", while addressing the issues.
Good luck to 'em
Long overdue!:ok:

Ralph the Bong
6th Jun 2003, 20:20
Word I've heard is that they are only calling about 2 people per month at the moment. Be patient, Glasshoppa...

topend3
7th Jun 2003, 07:58
ralf,

no, i wasn't being sarcastic, probably looked like that, i enjoy the different pa calls too, is a refreshing change from the same boring **** on the other airlines....

:ok:

dogbros
7th Jun 2003, 16:03
I've heard Virgin Blue have over 3000 people on their books now! This figure had been rumoured at 2000 for some time. Anyone know where the other thousand have appeared from?

embraer110120
7th Jun 2003, 21:13
I'd say out the total number of applicants,which apparantly is around what was mentioned previously,less than half of these would be what's considered "suitable".

CommandBars
8th Jun 2003, 05:50
Dogbros

I have a “mate” who just returned from a holiday in Aus and in between soaking up the local talent and scenery tried to get hold of Virgin on a daily basis to try and put a face to the name.
In the end he did not succeed and on the last day of his holiday decided to drop in.
Naturally since he did not have an appointment he was shown the exit sign on the door, but not before he was told that they have no less than ……7000 people on file. :oh:

I guess the word is out to fire off CV’s as soon as the CP License arrives in the mailbox.

As Embraer mentioned, there would only be a small proportion who are actually suitable. I just hope that when they start flying across the ditch and actually base them-selves over here in NZ, this “suitability” is reflected in hiring some kiwi drivers.
:ok: :D

ccy sam
8th Jun 2003, 13:25
If DJ ever employ Kiwis, they'll have to live with some very angry former ansett F/Os who are now Captains. Unable to repeat some of the adjectives these gentlemen use when they see an Air NZ aircraft. The rage lives on across the ditch!

Bugsmasha
8th Jun 2003, 19:00
Commandbars, Virgin Blue already have a significant number of Kiwi's working for them. They range from Operations, Ground Crew ,Pilots etc. Ccy, haven't come across the rage your referring to yet, but yes it probably is a sensative subject though. Many VB pilots are Kiwis.:D

xkred27
9th Jun 2003, 06:47
Sick of Kiwis flooding our work force. I think little PM johnny is too.
You have your own airlines on those little rocks over there, so stay. This is Australia mate, not Noow Zeeeland ay bro!!!!!:ouch:

Jimmy Neutron
9th Jun 2003, 07:40
You guys sound like my children……”Boo hoo….the big nasty kiwi man broke my toys and now I don’t get my overpaid big money anymore….boo hoo!!!!…Daddy Johnny do something to stop them!!”

If I recall the topic was about telephone calls from Virgin, not spoilt brats from Ansett.

PS I am not a Kiwi

puff
9th Jun 2003, 09:36
xkred27, the unemployed kiwi's are probably saying the same thing about Aussie's flyin the QF 737s over in NZ too!

No worries mate
10th Jun 2003, 13:31
I believe there were interviews last week for start dates in SEP/OCT this year.

ETA in Melbourne are running 2 courses (6-8 pilots) a month till the end of the year.

I'm with stupid
11th Jun 2003, 15:43
I reckon those who get in from now on could become quite profficient in poling around with the right hand.
If you do the numbers on how many A/C and pilots they have now versus how many they are projecting, does'nt look too good....unless of course you happened to work for AN 14 years ago.
If you are flying bugsmashers, yes, I know this won't bother you, but it may concern others who give up a jet job.

Mr Wright
12th Jun 2003, 16:43
Stupid's mate, I do not think that anyone applying for a position with DJ would not accept the position because of the possibility of sitting in the right for a few years. If you would not like the job, don't apply. There's plenty of others who would.:D

18-Wheeler
12th Jun 2003, 23:10
Do they ever re-interview if you're not successful? Say, after a year or so?

Iso
13th Jun 2003, 19:48
The word I got, and all my sabytomus onetoks can tell it like it is to correct me;

If you have been shafted by anyone in the firm, then the chances of getting another interview are calculated at one puffteenth of a bad Irish temper. If you have been shafted outside of the firm, but with connexions, it's nearly the same.
Letting the facts get in the way of a damn good rumour has not been an issue that perplexes the interview panel, rest assured.

For any other reason, there maybe hope, but you just don't know; do you? Keep trying.

Marriage is give and take.
You'd better give it to her, or she'll take it anyway.

:p

I'm with stupid
14th Jun 2003, 10:49
Mr Wright, just an observation mate.
I don't think I will be giving up my jet command and a sizeable amount of $ to go to VB just yet, but please, you be my guest.

Willie Nelson
14th Jun 2003, 13:42
In two months I become eligible according to the minima posted on Pilot Staff CV. However I suspect that I will not be in with any chance because I don't know anyone and I am totally out of the loop where I am flying.

Rest assured though, that I will be giving it a go, I don't care if I am in the RHS for 10 years, I will wait my turn.

Willie

BAE146
14th Jun 2003, 14:02
hey, 18 wheeler I had an ale (or three) with Whiskery in the George Hotel a couple of weeks back and forgot to ask him about your goodself.

Are you in the left seat with Air Atlanta yet? If you are, well done. If you're not, you must be bloody close!

18-Wheeler
14th Jun 2003, 14:25
I keep on hearing that I might be left-seat soon, so I guess they're looking at it.
It'd be a good thing I reckon, I'd like the challenge. As I told them in the VB interview, I was happy to give up a 747 command to fly as a 737 F/O for them .... :(

Open Wemac
19th Jun 2003, 10:47
Just bringing this topic back up to the top of the list.

Surely someone must know somebody that has had a call?

Are all the courses and sim training still conducted in Melbourne? Were there plans to move it to BN?

:ok: :=

Hoss Cartwright
21st Jun 2003, 12:59
hi huys and gals

Ive got an interview in the near future for a job at dj in the near future. it is non flying but the word i got is more acft to come next year and ETOPS ops to come in also :ok:

18-Wheeler
23rd Jun 2003, 11:47
Talking to a mate of mine this morning, and he says he was in contact with an old mate of his, who also missed out with VB nearly two years ago, but was re-interviewed a few months back and was successful.
There's hope!
I don't give up that easily .... ;)

blinkybill
29th Jun 2003, 05:20
Got an interview coming up.

Still have to do 737 endorsement.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to do it. Seems a lot cheaper in the states but have heard that ETA in Melbourne uses VB SOP's.

Rubber Chicken
29th Jun 2003, 07:48
I know of at least 7 people who missed out in their first interview but all go in on the second go. It did take over 12 months for a second go though.
As for waiting a couple of years for a command, how long did it take in Ansett and how long does it take in Quaintass. Even if it took 5 years you would still be way in front. How many Ansett F/O's got command on the NG after only a few months but were still years away in Ansett. Sounds like a good move to me.
If you have a jet command O/S than it may not be for you unless you really want to get back home. Those who take jobs are not scabs. Think back to when you all were in G/A and would have cut off your right nut to fly a jet. If a bloke can fall out of a Navajo into a 737-800 and in 2 years have a command good on them. This business of having to have 10 years in the right seat is an Australian mind set that we have had drilled into us since we started flying. Remember when you could not get a job on a Chieftain unless you had 3000 hours total. Why? Because the bloke before you had to have 3000 hour as did the bloke before him. Most incidents so far in VB have involved high time captains.

Gudija
30th Jun 2003, 11:40
Good luck to the guys and girls getting second chances, I can't even get a first chance.

Yusef Danet
30th Jun 2003, 13:31
Word from on high (11th floor) is:
*428 pilots now, including several in various stages of training, *will be over 500 by year's end,
*3000 applicants on file, current crew are encouraged to nominate suitable former colleagues but not be pressured to.
*2 new (some possibly pre-loved) NGs per month before summer
*10 pilots required per additional airframe, with NO plans to hand back ANY just yet... not even the white one.
* a small number of experienced DE capts (6-8) will be taken, but expect the Command Parties to continue at present rate.

Come on in guys, the water's fine!

Menen
30th Jun 2003, 20:02
Blinkybill. ETA is the way to go. Uses Ansett simulator - totally friendly atmosphere - - handy to pubs, eateries, shops, and accommodation. Rent-a- Bomb car hire just around the corner. Very experienced 737 simulator instructors with thousands of hours on type - all good blokes.
CASA approved simulator course -no problem with licencing.
USA 737 courses vary markedly in content and some pilots have had difficulty with transferring USA 737 rating to Australian licence on return from USA. This is because CASA FCL in Canberra, wary of some of the USA 737 endorsement syllabus and depending on which mob in USA do the rating, CASA can demand a lot of paperwork proof of endorsment course content.

Dubya
7th Jul 2003, 11:01
Just wanted to bring this to the top of the page again.
Surely somone knows of someone who has had a call or something.

Ns
7th Jul 2003, 13:18
Have to agree with you Menem,
ETA provides alot more sim than that offered in the States.
They are totally professional, fantastic ground school all done on CBT at your own pace with a qualified Instructor to help you along.
The two guy's running the show are VB Captains and know what is required.
I'm glad I spent my money there as it has made my transition to the line a whole lot easier. :ok: :ok:

downwind
7th Jul 2003, 15:29
To all VB aspirants good luck with interview, and like the other guys have said would only go to ETA for a 737 rating, told by one of the ETA sim instructors that some US guys had trouble with virgin profiency check out, had to retrain, then got the OK on the second go!

Give Andy Bates or Brett Brown a ring in Brisbane (two Virgin 737 captains, they know the required standard for the sim entrance check)

On the other hand QF do the rating over 6 weeks but you must really beg to get a slot on the course!!! I think only TFO's train you not proper CCT or SCC's.

assymetric
8th Jul 2003, 15:15
Can anyone tell me if having a 737 endorsement would help get a interview.

P.S. I don't know anyone who works for Virgin Blue.:*

jetblues
8th Jul 2003, 15:51
Latest whisper doing the rounds in the Blue Room suggests plans for 45+ 737's and 600+ pilots by the end of 2004.

Bring it on !!

xkred27
8th Jul 2003, 16:14
Getting an endorsement will do nothing for your chances. If you don't have the experience they want right now, an endorsement will give you a whole lot of debt.

Don't panic, they will hire for a long time.

amos2
8th Jul 2003, 17:06
Well, I guess Rubber Chickens' in like Flynn!

I think not!!

And your response to Assy, 27, is probably the reason why he'll get a job with Virgin and you won't!

Believe me !

Open Wemac
14th Jul 2003, 19:19
Did the July interviews happen?

:{

Maisk Rotum
16th Jul 2003, 13:30
With all this expansion and all this experience required could some enlightened soul please explain why someone with 13,000 plus hours, 5000 in command of the 737 and not involved in 89 can not even get an interview; even as an F/O??

Chocks Away
17th Jul 2003, 18:55
...or quite possible, Maisk Rotum, as ISO put it earlier:

posted 13th June 2003 11:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The word I got, and all my sabytomus onetoks can tell it like it is to correct me;

If you have been shafted by anyone in the firm, then the chances of getting another interview are calculated at one puffteenth of a bad Irish temper. If you have been shafted outside of the firm, but with connexions, it's nearly the same.
Letting the facts get in the way of a damn good rumour has not been an issue that perplexes the interview panel, rest assured.

For any other reason, there maybe hope, but you just don't know; do you? Keep trying.

:\ :ok: