PDA

View Full Version : Divorce

Snake Hips
29th May 2003, 09:25
Apart from interline cooperation, which will probably diminish
when CX and one of the mainland cariers establish closer links,
and 1 seat on their board (read mole?) can anyone see why Cathay should continue to have an equity or indeed any other form of relationship with KA? There is clearly no love lost between the two companies and the latest move for KA to restrict CX aspirations is surely the final straw? or am I missing something?

Avago
29th May 2003, 10:24
Nope - good riddance to them, I say.

Liam Gallagher
29th May 2003, 18:32
Snake Hips,

The latter, you are missing something!!!

Snake Hips
30th May 2003, 10:38
Glad I logged on for that helpful reply!
PS Really enjoyed 'Heathen Chemistry' by the way.

Flap 5
3rd Jun 2003, 05:01
During the 1990's Cathay was clearly in charge in Hong Kong. In fact even many of the locals did not know who Dragonair were in those days. Now with Dragonair having a large chinese ownership and Hong Kong reverting to China the situation appears to be changing. I say 'appears' because clearly Dragonair feel they can play against the big boys now by taking Cathay to court over chinese routes.

Maybe it is time for a damper to be put on Dragonair before they get too big. I see no reason why Cathay should not fly in to China. They already provide many of the passengers for Dragonair by flying them in to Hong Kong to transit to chinese destinations. Dragonair also fly to many destinations outside of China in competition with Cathay so why not in China as well?

There are also many airlines which fly directly to Beijing and Shanghai bypassing Hong Kong. Why shouldn't Dragonair complain about them? Because it would not be reasonable. Nor is it reasonable for them to complain about Cathay flying in to China.

slapfaan
4th Jun 2003, 22:48
Dragonair's CEO,Stanley Hui,seems to be a problem child...He's always got lots to say in the media...and I'm sure,a BIG instigator in this whole mainland-saga...

Maybe time he gets removed,and a CEO who's more pro-business,pro-cooperative,taking over...?

:ok:

moosp
5th Jun 2003, 00:13
I have no answers but like most people I can surmise.

CIT*C (sp) has an overall influence on the future of the relationship between the two major airlines of Hong Kong. They are major shareholders of both companies.

The predominant director of CIT*C (sp) who has shareholdings in both these airlines was previously very well connected to the highest authorities of the PRC. Since the recent change in the president and prime minister in Beijing his influence is in the descendant. This is early days in the new administration but the general signs point towards a new order which will exclude this director from influence in Beijing.

In some circles he is considered to be an able and effective administrator and with these qualities might continue to be effective for both companies.

Other circles consider that his perceived overbearing and aggressive approach to modern management, perhaps fairly attributed to his appalling treatment during the cultural revolution might be outmoded in this century. New blood is developing who are totally capable of leading the corporation into a new era of friendly co-operation with like minded foreign investors for the mutual advancement of both parties.

As for Mr Hui, he apppears to be capable of following either master. A true diplomat.