View Full Version : Newly qualified Commercial Pilots

Chunks
27th May 2001, 17:24
If there is an abundence inexperienced commercial pilots (so I hear), instead of airlines training recruits from scratch which is in fact expensive and is a gamble to an extent weather the candidate is going to make it or not. Why don't airlines offer to train up newly qualified Commercial Pilots to fly the big jets?

Chunks

Pilot Pete
27th May 2001, 20:09
They do. The main thing is that they cannot take on every one with only 150-200hrs. They need a spread of experience and obviously prefer those with a 'track record'. Let's face it, some guy with 1500hrs, 500multi crew on a turbo-prop and 1000hrs twin time would appear to be much less of a training risk than someone fresh out of training with 150hrs.

There is a lack of experienced people out there, but the airlines are still finding people with more than 150hrs experience and hence it is still very difficult to get that first break.

I am trying to be objective rather than inflammatry by saying get on with it......get more hours, do anything, keep that total increasing and you will get there eventually.

Best of luck

PP

Capt L
29th May 2001, 10:08
I believe that Qantas runs their cadet scheme along these lines. You may be able to get more info at www.qantas.com.au (http://www.qantas.com.au)

------------------
Blue Skies and Soft Landings :)