PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the teddybear on the bike at Adelaide???

pullock
28th May 2003, 22:50
I visited Adelaide recently, and sure it's been a year since I last visited, but I was sad to not see the teddy bear that used to sit atop a bicycle between one of the taxiways and a runway. (don't know the names of said taxiway or runway, but everyone who knows what i am talkint about will be able to tell me where I am sure !!)

He was quite an Adelaide landmark, admired by thousands over a LONG period of time.

Can anyone tell me his storey, how he came to be there, and who looked after him for sooooooo long, and more importently

CAN SOMEONE SNEAK OUT THERE IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT AND HONOUR HIS MEMORY BY PUTTING A MEMORIAL IN HIS PLACE??

Clive
28th May 2003, 23:16
I believe his name was Laurie Bearaton. Hope he is well!

AlbertRoss
29th May 2003, 05:45
He tends to wander around a bit - last time I was there he was in his cricket whites, sitting up towards the 23 threshold; the time before he was down the 05 end, so perhaps he's still around but just hiding ?:ok:

MoFo
29th May 2003, 07:06
The Adelaide Airport Volleyball Team should be able to enlighten you, if one of their members reads this Forum.

Keg
29th May 2003, 14:13
We asked the ATC guys a few weeks back when we trundled past and they intimated that he was just 'away' for a bit (I don't recall why but it seemed a valid reason at the time) but would be back soon.

Jungmeister
29th May 2003, 22:28
The bear is there. He is just off taxiway F3 near the control tower. He is enjoying a spot of fishing, complete with fishing rod.

You will get a good view of him when taxying out to depart from runway 05, or after vacating runway 23 at F4 :D

OzPax1
30th May 2003, 21:21
piccies please...! :D

SmallGlassofPort
3rd Jun 2003, 13:17
Legend has it that in the good old days a 727 freighter pulled up on the taxiway, the rear stairs lowered, and out jumped the FO who then took ted as hostage on a trip to Sydney.
He was released a few days later!!

woftam
3rd Jun 2003, 14:07
Rumour also has it that an overseas airline took them on "holidays" to London many years ago.
Not sure if it's the "volleyball team" who looks after them or not?
Nice to see a sense of humour still prevails in this industry.
They have been there as long as I can remember. (bloody long time!)

:ok: