PDA

View Full Version : AA Pilot Crash - Due to Complaints this topic is closed

av8boy
28th May 2003, 04:07
News report says "chief pilot for American Airlnes," however, I believe Capt. Price retired in 1999.

KARV is roughly 190 sm NE of KMSP, 320 sm NNW of KORD, and 540 sm WNW of CYYZ. Been there. Beautiful area. Dense forest begins about 1/2 mile N of the airport. If I did my math right, this would have occurred during daylight hours.

Condolences to all...

Dave

AP report:

ARBOR VITAE, Wis. - A twin-engine plane crashed in the woods shortly after takeoff, killing all four people on board.

Thomas Lappin, 63, and his wife, Anne, 61, of St. Charles, Ill., died when the plane crashed Sunday night near Lakeland Airport in Arbor Vitae, about 270 miles north of Madison. The plane was heading for DuPage Airport in West Chicago, Ill.

Also killed were pilots Carl Price, 64, a chief pilot for American Airlines, and Edward Vogler, 53, a retired American pilot.

National Transportation Safety Board investigator John Brannen said it likely would take investigators two days to piece together what happened, since the eight-seat plane, a Piper PA-31P Navajo, was badly damaged.

There was no report of engine trouble before the plane went down and weather was not likely a factor, he said.

FAA Prelim:

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 36DR Make/Model: PA31 Description: PA-31/31P Navajo, Navajo Chief
Date: 05/25/2003 Time: 2250

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

City: MINOCQUA-WOODRUFF State: WI Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT DEPARTED LAKELAND/NOBLE F. LEE ARPT ON RWY 36. ACFT CRASHED 1/2 MILE
NORTH. OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES ARE UNKNOWN. THE FOUR POB SUFFERED FATAL
INJURIES. MINOCQUE-WOODRUFF, WI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 4
# Crew: 1 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR KARV 252253Z AUTO 02007G15KT 10SM CLR 19/M08 A3009 RMK A02

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Take-off Operation: General Aviation

Departed: MINOCQUE-WOODRUFF,WI Dep Date: 05/25/2003 Dep. Time: 2250
Destination: DUPAGE, CHICAGO,IL Flt Plan: IFR Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: NONE
Last Clearance: NONE

FAA FSDO: MILWAUKEE, WI (GL13) Entry date: 05/27/2003

FAA Registration info:

N-number : N36DR
Aircraft Serial Number : 31P-7530025
Aircraft Manufacturer : PIPER
Model : PA-31P
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : TIGO-541SER
Aircraft Year : 1975
Owner Name : NAVAJO INC
Owner Address : 1258 MEADOWS RD
GENEVA, IL, 60134-3214
Registration Date : 20-Aug-2001
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

Airport:

FAA INFORMATION EFFECTIVE 15 MAY 2003
Lat/Long: 45-55-40.532N / 089-43-51.394W
45-55.67553N / 089-43.85657W
45.9279256 / -89.7309428
(estimated)
Elevation: 1630 ft. / 496.8 m (surveyed)
Variation: 01W (1990)
From city: 3 miles NW of MINOCQUA-WOODRUFF, WI

Airport Operations
Airport use: Open to the public
Sectional chart: GREEN BAY
Control tower: no
ARTCC: MINNEAPOLIS CENTER
FSS: GREEN BAY FLIGHT SERVICE STATION [1-800-WX-BRIEF]
NOTAMs facility: ARV (NOTAM-D service available)
Runway Information
Runway 18/36
Dimensions: 5150 x 100 ft. / 1570 x 30 m
Surface: asphalt, in good condition
Weight limitations: Single wheel: 21000 lbs

Runway edge lights: non-standard
NSTD HIRL; NSTD THLD LGTS MALS TYPE THLD LGT BAR IN ADDITION TO STD LGTG.
RUNWAY 18 RUNWAY 36

Markings: nonprecision, in good condition nonprecision, in good condition
Instrument approach: LOC/DME
Obstructions: 64 ft. tree, 2900 ft. from runway, 42:1 slope to clear 68 ft. trees, 1900 ft. from runway, 500 ft. right of centerline, 25:1 slope to clear

Runway 10/28
Dimensions: 3602 x 75 ft. / 1098 x 23 m
Surface: asphalt, in poor condition
Weight limitations: Single wheel: 21000 lbs

Runway edge lights: medium intensity
RUNWAY 10 RUNWAY 28

Airport Operational Statistics
Aircraft based on the field: 33
Single engine airplanes: 33
Aircraft operations: avg 74/day
55% transient general aviation
33% local general aviation
8% air taxi
4% commercial
<1% military

Additional Remarks
- DEER ON & INVOF ARPT.

Followup info:

By Ames Boykin Daily Herald Staff Writer

Two Naperville residents and a St. Charles couple died over the weekend when a small plane crashed shortly after takeoff in northern Wisconsin.

Family members on Monday identified the victims, all longtime friends, as Carl J. Price and Edward R. Vogler of Naperville and Dr. Thomas F. Lappin and Catherine Anne Lappin of St. Charles.

Price and Vogler, experienced American Airlines pilots, had flown to northern Wisconsin Sunday afternoon to pick up the Lappins from their summer home in Boulder Junction, near the Michigan border, said son Peter Lappin.

Thomas "Tim" Lappin was part-owner of the eight-seat, twin-engine Piper PA-31P Navajo, which crashed about 6 p.m. Sunday in a wooded area about a half mile north of Lakeland Airport in Arbor Vitae.

"It cleared the runway, but it never had the altitude to get out," said Jeff Biertzer, Arbor Vitae's rescue squad chief.

National Transportation Safety Board (news - web sites) investigator John Brannon said the plane was headed to DuPage Airport in West Chicago. Investigators did not know whether Price or Vogler was at the controls.

NTSB (news - web sites) officials were at the scene Monday, and the Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites) sent an investigator to try to determine what went wrong, said FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory.

Neither Thomas Lappin, nor Anne, as she was called, ever flew the plane. They would ask friends to fly them, as they did on Friday when they arrived at the Wisconsin home they had kept for more than 20 years, Peter Lappin said.

Another pilot flew the Lappins on Friday. Price and Vogler left DuPage Airport early Sunday afternoon to pick up the couple.

Families and co-workers of the four mourned Monday.

The Lappins had six children and 17 grandchildren.

"Their lives revolved around each other and their children," Peter Lappin said.

Thomas Lappin practiced family medicine at Delnor Community Hospital and had offices in St. Charles.

Lappin had known Price, an American Airlines pilot who retired in 1999 after 33 years with the airline, since the early 1970s, Lappin's son said.

Both Price and Vogler were highly regarded pilots at American, said Mary Frances Fagan, spokeswoman for the airline.

Both achieved the title "chief pilot," Fagan said. Of American's 1,800 pilots in the Chicago area, only four are chief pilots.

An Air Force veteran, Ed Vogler was hired by American in 1978 and he achieved the chief pilot position in 1996, Fagan said. He is survived by his wife, Eileen, and three daughters.

Price, who is survived by his wife, Jody, two children and five grandchildren, served as a chief pilot for 14 years before his retirement.

Price was known as a "pilot's pilot" because he was empathetic to his colleagues, said South Barrington resident John Jirschele, a longtime friend and current American chief pilot.

Price also was legendary for his golf trips to Scotland. He would often volunteer to fly one of the airline's summer flights to Scotland to get in a round of golf, Jirschele said.

"We'd like to think he was working, too," Jirschele joked.

Vogler, too, was renowned in American's circles, but for other reasons. "He always had a smile on his face," Jirschele said.

"He had the most horrible puns. We would just groan," he joked.

Even Jirschele's family has come to refer to puns as "Vogler humor."

Both Price and Vogler also loved to fly in their free time.

Four years ago, both men joined the Businessmen's Flying Club, a club for professionals who fly out of Naper Aero Club airport at Naper Aero Estates, said Mike Pastore, the club's president.

Vogler had missed the last meeting because he was sent by American Airlines to pick up U.S. troops from Germany, Pastore said.

"They were really great people. They were good friends and good people, and we're going to miss them a lot," Pastore said.

Brannon said it likely would take investigators two days to piece together what happened. A crew of 20 to 30 firefighters fought the blaze for about three hours. The fire burned as much as an acre and a half, fire officials said.

"Most of the airplane was consumed in that fire," said Brannon, adding there was no report of engine trouble before the plane went down, and weather likely was not a factor. He said a witness saw the craft take off and thought "the airplane was lower than it should have been."

Funeral arrangements were pending Monday.

411A
28th May 2003, 04:39
Seem to remember that it was an ORD based AA Chief Pilot who was at the controls of the ill-fated AA MD80 at Little Rock not so long ago.

Poor decision(s) then...perhaps now as well. NTSB will find out, in due course.

dudly
28th May 2003, 09:05
411A,

"Poor decision(s) then...perhaps now as well. NTSB will find out, in due course"

I like how you like to trash someone, but always leave yourself an out. As in, "perhaps", or other such disclaimers. What a total and complete weasel you are, no perhaps needed.

B Sousa
28th May 2003, 11:04
Very sad story indeed. The cause will be interesting due to the experience on board at the time.......

411A. I push the limits sometimes, but I dont think I offend anyone who would have any redeeming social value. I think you could have worded that one a bit better.

411A
28th May 2003, 12:10
B. Sousa,

Worded better, well maybe, OTOH the facts about Little Rock speak for themselves, do they not?

Chief Pilots in ANY company have an obligation to follow company procedures as closly as possible/use good judgement, and set an example for the other crew members under their supervision.

Most do...some don't.

M.Mouse
28th May 2003, 16:39
411A

Speaking ill of the dead.

What an endearing trait to add to your others.

stormcloud
28th May 2003, 23:43
411A,
This was a private flight, not being flown under company SOPs etc so what is your point?
Had a female pilot been involved you could have brought up the fact that Eve took the apple from the snake! Also NOT relevant:*
Get a life:mad: !

Condolences to all.

411A
29th May 2003, 05:02
stormcloud,

It is called..."Sky Gods" at work again, in the private sector.
Wonder WHEN these folks will ever learn?:sad:

Final 3 Greens
29th May 2003, 15:18
411a

You make your conclusions about Little Rock based on a published report and I fully acknowledge your qualifications to do this.

Are you saying that you have some factual knowledge about this PA31 crash that allows you to reach the same conclusions? If you do, then let's hear it, otherwise maybe 'innocent until proven guilty' would be a good maxim to remember.

If the judge at a trial implied fault in the way your 'perhaps' does in this case, there would likely be a retrial after a mis-trial was declared.

411A
30th May 2003, 00:42
Actually, Final 3 Greens, there would be an objection from defense counsel, sustained by the judge, jury told to disregard, and the trial would move on...(USA anyway).

In my several encounters with retired AA guys, have found nearly all completely full of themselves, and their recently departed company.

Only one (a former DC10 chief pilot, and with AA for 38 years) factually admitted that AA has a load of prima donnas', and it was all he could do in his management capacity to keep 'em in line.

Now lets take a short look at the Little Rock issue. ORD-based chief pilot (as I recall) flying a long duty day, trying to get to the last destination, very bad weather, challanged by the First Officer that the picture he saw was not good, yet this turkey pressed on, tried to land (instead of diverting), ran off the end, many fatalities...etc.

Ask yourself. Is THIS the type of chief pilot (or indeed any pilot) you would want in your company, setting an example for the crews under his supervision?

The NTSB report on the referrenced PA31 accident will be interesting reading.

NTM
30th May 2003, 06:28
411A,

What is up with you ? Are you an IDIOT ?
How much more smack can you come up with ?
Have you spent a minute in an AA cockpit ?
Have you spent a second with any actual AA pilot, that is not an idiot like yourself.
That DC10 guy with 38yrs, couldn't have said that. If he did, he is a MORON and an ungrateful one at that.
How could you stereotype people like that.
What is your problem ??
I think I know !!!! ;)

Just chill and STOP the BASHING!! Especially people who passed on. It is going to bite in the end. Trust me...

Later !!

411A
30th May 2003, 08:43
You sound like an AA guy, NTM, with all the references to 'idiot', 'moron' etc.

And yes, the former AA DC10 chief pilot...those were his exact words...prima donnas.

Little Rock, Cali, tailoff A300-600, wrong runway SEA, ...the list goes on.

A very poor record. Absolutely other airlines have problems, but the difficulties that AA demonstrates, show a very basic lack of adequate decision ability on the part of crew at the pointy end.

Fits right in with their 'former' senior management.

NTM
30th May 2003, 22:27
411A , You are the best !!
You never screwed up, You re Perfect. That is So great :ok: :ok:
I can not believe you are pointing your ill informed fingers at the dead AA pilots for the tail off the A300. You are a piece of work !!
Just be careful out there !

TR4A
31st May 2003, 00:05
Hey! Someone let me know when 411A buys the farm so we can all trash him.

What an airline wanted to be.

WhatsaLizad?
1st Jun 2003, 05:23
"Just to keep things in proper perspective"..."Poor decision(s) then...perhaps now as well. NTSB will find out, in due course."
posted by 411A on May 27, 2003

"stormcloud, It is called..."Sky Gods" at work again, in the private sector.
Wonder WHEN these folks will ever learn?"
posted by 411A on May28, 2003

"The NTSB report on the referrenced PA31 accident will be interesting reading."
posted by 411A on May 29, 2003

A tragedy occurred. There weren't any witnesses to the event. Yet we read the above comments posted by an alleged fellow airman before the bodies have even been laid to rest in the ground. My first draft of this post was far different, but then I realized that nothing I could write could ever come close to describing 411A as he has with his own words above.

May they rest in peace.

SERVICES FOR CAPT ED VOGLER ARE PLANNED AS FOLLOWS:
VISITATION - THURSDAY, MAY 29 FROM 1500-2000
BEIDELMAN FUNERAL HOME
24021 W. ROYAL WORLINGTON DRIVE - NAPERVILLE, IL

FUNERAL - FRIDAY, MAY 30 AT 11:30
CAVALRY CHURCH - NAPERVILLE, IL

SERVICES FOR CAPT CARL PRICE ARE PLANNED AS FOLLOWS:
VISITATION THURSDAY, 5/29 FROM 1400-2100
BEIDELMAN FUNERAL HOME
24021 W. ROYAL WORLINGTON DRIVE IN NAPERVILLE, IL

FUNERAL FRIDAY, 5/30 AT 0900
CAVALRY CHURCH-NAPERVILLE, IL

weasil
2nd Jun 2003, 03:56
411A has been banned from further replies to this thread.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing and it is great to see a thread on the North American Forum unrelated to Immigration & Visa issues.

However, it also saddens me to see someone so eager to speak ill of two fellow pilots so soon after the accident. Aviation suffers enough from slanted views published in the general media without pilots attacking one another in this manner.

I have lost friends to airplane accidents over the years & can only imagine if the family of one of those lost were to read such comments.

Weasil